Ratings for Dr. Alan D. Fetterman

It's particularly frightening that Dr. Fetterman practices geriatric medicine, because geriatric patients are particularly vulnerable. He was my grandfather's attending physician for the past few months and failed to notice substantial weight gain and leg swelling that (we later found, thanks to a competent doctor) gave evidence of both congestive heart failure and a problem with my grandfather's prescription medication. My grandfather ended up being hospitalized the Sunday before Thanksgiving. That week, Dr. Fetterman refused to return calls about my grandfather's condition, including to my grandfather's designated health care proxies. The day before Thanksgiving, without notifying a single family member, Dr. Fetterman authorized the release of my grandfather despite the fact that he had changed his prescribed medication that very morning. Standard practice would be to hold a man in his 90s suffering from congestive heart failure, dehydration, and dementia for at least 24 hours to monitor for the medication's effects, but I assume Dr. Fetterman was in a big rush to beat the Thanksgiving traffic and couldn't be bothered with a small detail like that. His lack of professionalism and concern for his patients is shocking.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2014

Dr. Alan D. Fetterman's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1982)