Ratings for Dr. Douglas Black

I would NOT recommend this doctor. I was a patient of Dr. Black's during my second pregnancy. I was a high risk pregnancy, due to my type one diabetes. I only saw Dr. Black twice during my pregnancy. At the rest of my appointments I saw his nurse or a medical student. A medical student tried to order me an oral glucose tolerance test. Which was unnecessary and ridiculous because I already had diabetes. With my first pregnancy I had an emergency c-section. With this pregnancy I wanted to have another c-section. During one of my appointments a medical student told me that I could not have an elective c-section, even though I had had a previous c-section. I would have to have a vaginal birth. When I looked into the matter, I found out that the medical student was wrong. Having these medical students over seeing my high risk pregnancy was worrisome. Dr. Black seemed to have left the responsibility of my care in the hands of his nurse and medical students. Not much care or interest was given to my blood glucose levels. I feel Dr. Black was lax and IRRESPONSIBLE in the care of my high risk pregnancy. Dr. Black and his staff did not seem to care about my pregnancy or the health of my unborn child.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

Dr Black is responsible for the botched delivery of my daughter that left her with severe brain damage.She lived for 14 years a very difficult and painfull life that impacted her whole family. He also tried to cover his tracks by lying about it....

flag | Submitted April 20, 2016

I had this doctor when I was having heavy uterus bleeding, and I mean gushing out of my pants in 15 minutes despite lots of safety guards heavy. He took one look at me and said "have you considered losing maybe 50 pounds?" And then he put me on birth control and that was that. At the follow up, he asked extremely rudely "have you lost your virginity yet?" And got visibly irritated with me when I said "no". I was a young girl at the time, what did he expect me to do? Hire a juggalo? He obviously decided I was not worth his time because he told me to continue taking birth control and dumped me as his patient. Birth control made me incredibly sick and did not actually fully stop the bleeding. It has been off and on since, and I find it incredible that the ER will treat me in seconds with care and concern but a specialist will write me off like that without trying to conduct any tests! My weight, for the record, was not related to my irregular periods because I lost quite a bit of weight and it continued to happen. I don't recommend this doctor. Judging by other reviews he seems magnificent for delivering babies, but for women's health you could do better at another doctor.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

I went through my first pregnancy with Dr Black. I only saw him three times the entire pregnancy and one of those times only because I ended up in emergency in Toronto for spotting. He was not at my birth and did not visit after either. At my 6 week postpartum appointment I did not have a full internal exam and felt like he was pushing an IUD on me. I then found out 3 months postpartum I still had open tears. He prescribed me estrogen cream knowing I was exclusively breastfeeding. When I went to pick up my prescription the pharmacist told me it will affect the quality and quantity of my breast milk and to stop taking it. It was a horrible experience.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2015

I starting seeing Dr. Black when I was pregnant. At that time the staff were friendly and punctual. I loved Nicole the Nurse who worked for him. I was a high risk pregnancy and happy to say everything went well with delivery . He was not working that day but he did come see me 2 days later . Years later I went to him as I was having trouble conceiving . He put me on progesterone and clomid. He gave me a 6 month prescription no monitoring , no follicle tracking. I would call to ask a question and I was told he was either away or I would have to schedule an appointment for a month later. The medication he gave me caused me to have severe headaches, nausea ..I could barely get out of bed . I had called to make an appointment however the day of . I was sick to my stomach. I ended up in the hospital instead of my appointment with dr. Black. The receptionist was attacking me that I would be missing the appointment and that I had to pay the 50$ fee otherwise dr. black would not see me anymore. I went back and told the receptionist if dr. black wants the 50$ tell him to ask me for it during my appointment. DR black was pissed off the entire appointment did not help me at all and then told me he would let the 50$ slide this time but next time I would have to pay or couldn't see him again. 6 yrs never missed an appointment and this is how I was treated. Finally after I got over being pissed off I call to make another appointment to find out dr. black no longer lives in Ottawa he moved his practice out of the country. SERIOUSLY ....??? nobody called to notify me . I asked if my file was being passed on to another dr the rude receptionist said UMMM NOOOOO you need to go to your family Dr and tell them to refer you to one of our other doctors. Needless to say I asked my family dr to send me to a dr who does not work there.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2015

Please DO NOT go to this doctor. As a young lady he made me feel extremely uncomfortable with his questions and the way he went about my examination, left me feeling sick to my stomach. I played it off for quite a while, but if there is any women out there who are thinking of using him as an OBGYN please don't.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2014

I honestly love this doctor, hes always on time and I find he knows what hes talking about. He is quick at making decisions and is extremely knowledgeable. He also has a great sense of humor and is very understanding. He is my favourite OBGYN.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014

Difficult to get an appoint with his office. The reception is always on voicemail and you wait forever. When you do get the reception she is always arrogant and sounds very impatient. Once I heard the reception scold someone for being a few minutes late, but she was in line waiting. She was told that she should arrive to her appointment 15-20 mins early and the receptionist pointed out that if she is always on-time, why can't patient be. Its disappointing, because Dr Black is a good doctor and extremely helpful.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2014

Dr. Black and his staff were wonderful. I was very happy with my entire appointment.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2014

I went to meet Dr Black for my 20 week appt. This is my first baby and was very pleased with him. He was very nice and answered all of my questions. He didn't rush or act like he was to busy for me. All of the nurses were very pleasant as well. Looking forward to my next appt in 4 weeks.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2013