Ratings for Dr. Simon Brooks

Pig , is first way to describe him and a cowardly bully .After seeing him I requested all my mental health records and I now have documented proof that I did not receive one word of advice or counciling that is why I say coward and if he is not a gutless coward, he would have recorded his own words. Then again no one in mental health industry records their own words, self protection must be the only explantion .

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

This doctor was brash, arrogant, rude and dismissive. He makes you feel ridiculous for having problems and uses you as an audience to ramble on about other patients he has helped and in no way offers anything useful to your treatment. I left my first appointment feeling more frustrated and confused and upset with myself then I had ever felt before. He launches into grandiose speeches about how he won't just hand out drugs DESPITE being explicitly and repetitively told you are not there to get medication - that you want to try and work things out without resorting to medication. My experience with him was that he was a self absorbed soap box anti-drug preacher who has nothing to offer but degradation, shame and frustration.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2014

It seems to me that some of the positive ratings are "put on". However, I'm under the impression that he has retired and in my opinion, that's a good thing.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2013

Terrible. He did not read my file, told me that he had no idea why he was seeing me, implied my illness was in my head after being diagnosed and hospitalized and treated for the same disorder for 12 years, said that I was pretty much just a bad person and had to pull out the DSM to check my symptoms. His diagnoses/opinion was based on 2 appointments totaling 20 minutes each. I felt terrible and humiliated. He was a waste of my time. Why is he practicing psychiatry?

flag | Submitted March 27, 2011

I am blown away by alot of these comments for this doctor! I have been seeing Dr Brooks for over a year now after being refered to him by my family doctor. I had been seeing another doctor who was TRULY a nut case. I find Dr Brooks very professional and patient.I have no problems talking to him and always leave the office smiling. Just the thought of losing him makes me shudder. I know I could never fill his boots as well. He made a comment yesterday that made me realize that it is not ME that is nuts, it is everyone else. * It is not the person seeing the phychiatrist who needs them...it is everyone else.!

Submitted November 5, 2010

I saw this doctor about 15 years ago, and it appears from the comments that nothing has changed. I was in the same building this morning, and I looked at the office listings to see if he was still in practice. I was hoping not. So, my story: I was referred to Brooks by another psychiatrist who was moving to the States to take a research position. Shortly after this, my fiance died very suddenly. Three weeks after this I returned to a weekly group therapy session, and became upset and had to leave. Understandable at this early stage in grieving, one would think. NOT SO. At my next individual appointment I was shocked at his unprofessional behaviour. There is no other word for it - I was berated for having upset the other group members by leaving the meeting. He was very angry with me and his conduct was completely inappropriate. I did not see him again. Fortunately for me, my original doctor returned soon after, but I would never have set foot in Brook's office again.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2010

helped me through one of the most difficult periods of my life...I thought I was losing my mind until Dr.Brooks made me realized he was treating the wrong person (should have been my husband) I was suffering from a situational depression...meaning I was depressed because I was dealing with someone who was totally put of control and blaming it on me...I 100% and he is still nuts!!!...Thank you Dr. Brooks

flag | Submitted March 25, 2010

I have been seeing Dr. Brooks for several years.I have been to other specialists but Dr. Brooks is by far the best. I suffer from a major depression disorder. I have gone from an emotional wreck unable to function back to a happy working gal. Dr. Brooks was an excellent advocate on my behalf. He dealt with LTD and the insurance company, his advice was accurate.As for some other comments about medication on this site. I've been to other pill pushers, Dr. Brooks is very good at figuring out what works for me. I trust his opinions. He has a wonderful sense of humor and great stories that put things in perspective. I hope he doesn't retire for a while yet!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2009

he may be a good doctor but it seems he cares more for the money then anything else, because i guess the way he looks at it if you dont show up for your appointment he doesnt get paid i do understand that, but why would he drop a patients that he had for several years over a few missed appointments most of his patients if not all suffer from major depression to other serious illnesses i just think thrown his patients out on the street is the wrong course of action considering what his patients are going through.p.s please comment doctor

flag | Submitted May 30, 2009

Dr.Simon Brooks is a first rate gentleman and excellent physician. I have had psychiatrists in three countries, two province and two states and he is the best. Great, dry sense of humour. He actually dropped me as a patient because I missed too many appointments in a row, but I don't hold it against him, I deserved it. I would recommend him to anyone. He is very knowledgeable. I think some commenting here expect all their problems to be "talked through" and are overly fearful of psychotropic meds. He is a no-nonsense man and decent person. Honoured to have gone to him for several years.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2009