Ratings for Dr. Michael A. Laurie

Went in for Medicare free annual wellness visit in December 2015. Everything was okay until early 2017 when I got a bill from Peace Health for the $358. Medicare paid nothing. Called Peace Health Patient Financial Services several times attempting to straighten it out. Each time they said they would do something, but they never did. Instead they sent a new copy of the bill about a month later. The last time I talked to them they said to call Medicare. I did and Medicare said that Dr. Laurie's office had coded the purpose of the visit wrong. I called Peace Health and told them what Medicare said. Peace Health said they would talk to Medicare. They didn't and instead sent me another copy of the bill. Out of frustration I called Dr. Laurie's office direct and asked for their help straightening it out. They said that although they had coded the visit wrong there was nothing they could do about it and that I would have to talk to Peace Health. I asked to talk to the supervisor at Dr. Laurie's office and was put on hold and then disconnected. What a nightmare! I paid my medical insurance premiums, saw the doctor for a covered visit, the doctor or others at his office coded it wrong and Medicare refused to pay the bill because it was coded wrong and Peace Health won't do anything but continue to send me bills. Never, Never, NEVER trust this doctor/office!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2017

Dr. Laurie completely missed the fact that I had severe pulmonary embolisms (in all four lobes of my lungs) even though I saw his at least three times complaining of shortness of breath. The last time I saw him I was having severe pain while coughing and could barely breathe. He did nothing but prescribe albuterol! About a week after I had to call ambulance for admittance to the ER where they right away diagnosed me and I'm lucky to be alive today, no thanks to Dr. Laurie! I would never recommend him to anyone. Ever.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2011

I've been with Dr. Laurie for over 10 years. His personality is inward, doesn't smile a lot but I think he really does care about his patients. If he doesn't understand something (which in my case has been often) he quickly forwards you to a specialist. He isn't really knowledgeable about female hormonal issues nor thyroid issues but is willing to listen to whatever research you've done on the subject. He recently diagnosed me with hypothyroidism after years of being misdiagnosed for depression. I had to do my own research and prompt him for specific tests but he did ok them. After getting copies of his notes I was appalled at the lack of understanding of hypothyroidism. After seeing him 4 times on this issue I finally asked for a referral to see my GYN and was then properly diagnosed with hypo with Hashi's and placed on correct type of medication. I like him as a person but after years of being passed around from specialist to specialist, I'm looking for another Internist.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2009

Dr. Michael A. Laurie's Credentials

• University Of Southern California School Of Medicine (Grad. 1987)