Ratings for Dr. Katia Tonkin

I'm so sad that you are no longer my Oncologist 😭 you've been my rock through this long journey of mine. You are absolutely #1 in my books and I will dearly miss you. I hope this note finds you well and enjoying your retirement, thank you for being a Super awesome Doctor. I want you to know I respect and appreciate your hard work and knowledge for all who have received your professional help over the years. Thank you Katia God Bless, M.LAMANES.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

I am a young breast cancer patient and a health care professional. have had many physicians throughout my journey with cancer (and my life) and I must say dr tonkin's in one of my favorite's. She is smart, and super funny (which I really appreciate). She is no BS and comes to appointments prepared with statistics and a treatment plan. She is patient and during our initial appointment answered all of my questions- as well as my sisters and my fiancés. The answers that she provided myself and my sister (who are health care workers) were explained in greater detail, and simpler explanations were given for my fiancé who is a lay person. She put my family's mind at ease which took a huge load off me because they were so worried about my prognosis. Dr Tonkin even arranged my chemo around my upcoming wedding and when I was concerned about the impact of chemo upon my fertility she took it seriously yet, also recognized her limitations and ensured a fertility specialist was consulted- other physicians I have been under the care of are not as inclined to admit they don't know everything. The last thing I'll say about Dr Tonkin is that she never makes me feel rushed or that she would rather be somewhere else.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

I was overwhelmed by my diagnosis and the prescribed length of treatment but Dr. Tonkin only seemed interested in following preset regimens. She was dismissive and condescending and when I developed some unusual complications, her only response was "interesting". If it wasn't for the stellar performances by the rest of the Cross staff, I would never have survived the last 15 months under her 'care'.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

I was extremely disappointed and frustrated with my oncology app with Dr. Tonkin. I was given 2 pieces of paper, printouts from a generic Breast Cancer Calculator, one where a chemotherapy regimen had been included and the other with no treatment. I was handed the sheets and asked to review the calculated mortality rates and based on the difference in the rates decide if I wanted to pursue chemotherapy or not. The calculator is on the Internet and theven info required on the pathology report so I could have done the calculations myself without Dr. Tonkin's "expertise". If I had not asked questions I am not sure that that would not have been the end of the meeting. As mentioned by others my questions were discounted and answered with only cursorry information. There was no attempt to made to review the results of the pathology report with me or to explain why she had chosen the particular chemotherapy regime she had input into the calculator or what other options might be. When I asked about the fact that the pathology report mentioned apocrine carcinoma she initially said "oh, don't bother with that", and only provided more information when I persisted. I was then given 2 more pieces of paper outlining the side effects of the drugs included in the chemo regimen she had entered into the calculator but not explained, and told to call her back with my decision as to whether or not I wanted to proceed with chemo. Left feeling wow that was a useless meeting!

flag | Submitted September 4, 2016

very inhuman, rude, gives patient no hope. always away from patient and her nurses do the job

flag | Submitted May 15, 2016

I feel the ball was dropped from the beginning with treatment/ diagnosis and our family member never stood a chance although they fought a valiant battle on their terms. How do you lose a biopsy? It's yet another statistic and another win/win for the big pharmaceutical companies. Big business drives the Cross Cancer Institute and it starts in the parking lot with those fees. The well being of the patient wasn't as much a priority as stats in a clinical trial study were.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2015

I wish I could give a higher rating, she us one of the best doctors at the cross. She does not sugar coat things but at the same time, she is very compassionate and I love her. So happy I have her as my oncologist. Her staff is great as well

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

Dr. Tonkin's knowledge is undeniable, however she is sadly lacking in personable communication. She can come across as uncaring and rude, particularly if she is asked questions which conflict with her way of thinking. At times, she treated me in a demeaning and disapproving manner. This is inexcusable when one is going through the most vulnerable time of dealing with cancer and fighting for one's life. It is very sad that, CCI with its standard of excellence in cancer treatment and respect for patients, Dr.Tonkin is allowed to behave in this way.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2013

My questions and concerns were dismissed, told my feelings were in valid. She then advised that I require intense psychotherapy for even considering not going the chemo therapy route. Very patronizing. No compassion. I would not recommend.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2013

Dr. Tonkin is very, very knowledgeable in her field and can explain complex details in layman's terms, making sure that you fully understand the diagnosis and options. She is a compassionate, caring individual with a 'no nonsense' attitude who is extremely thorough in her examinations and tests. Dr. Tonkin is honest and forthright, and exactly the right type of person to deal with a tough disease. Her publication on cancer is given to all new patients.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2013