Ratings for Dr. Nancy Van Laeken

I'm leaving a comment on the experience that a good friend of mine is still going thru after more than one year after surgery. Dr Van Laeken did facial surgery on her. But before all this she did her due diligence on what a where Dr Van Laeken was going to make incisions. After the operation that was where everything changed. When she awoke her incision went around her face, over her ears under her chin and for some unknown reason Dr Van Laeken cut her facial muscles. My friend developed an infection. Was 2 days later she got a prescription, and as it turns out it was the wrong prescription?? Had the pharmacist not been on top of his game, its quite possible she could have died. I went with her one time to see the Dr. and my friend had the report from Cambie Surgical about the amount of fat that was injected in her face, Van Laeken took the paper from her hands, took out her pen scratched out what was there and printed what she wanted it to be. There was a definite lack of communication between The Doctor and my friend. She suffered so much needlessly. All she got was give it a year..well its more than a year and her face is far worse off now than she went in. True it a little vain getting a face lift, but if you want to and have the hard earned money to pay for it then you should still have the right to complain about it if its not rite. And it should be up to the Doctor to make it rite. I am a contractor and if my customer does not like my work I make it rite. After all if your laying down 15 - 20 thousand and your Doctor doesn't communicate with you at all, WHAT DO YOU DO?? If your considering getting face work from Van Laeken, you should run and never look back. Totally disgusted that something like this is allowed to happen with no recourse.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2017

HOW DARE NANCY VAN LAEKEN PROMOTE HERSELF AS CARING AND COMPASSIONATE! ALTHOUGH SHE MAY BE ONE OF THE BEST ACTRESS, WHILE SHE IS PROMOTING HER ABILITIES SHE HAS DEMONSTRATED A TOTAL LACK OF KNOWLEDGE, SENSITIVITY, AND A FURTHER CRUEL MANIPULATION OF WORDS AFTER BOTCHED SURGERY, WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF UNDERSTANDING AFTER SHE HAS BEEN PAID , SHE WILL DISCONTINUE COMMUNICATION WITH NO REGARD FOR PATIENTS .

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Dr Van Laeken doesn't deserve to be a doctor. She botched my arm lift and breast augmentation. I had her redo them. I think I was her practice patient. When you ask a dr. a question and they evade the answer beware. Very disappointed and very expensive. I had my surgery in 2007 and still think about my contempt for the woman.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Botched twice by this doctor. Very sad and very expensive. I should've believed all of the negative reviews!!! I would not consider going to her ever again.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2017

Aside from the doctors obvious attitude problem, she botched the augmentation in several ways. Lopsided boobs Nerve damage to the nipple And not the desired shape Not much more to be said.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

What a huge blessing to have been pointed in Dr. Van Laeken's direction. She gave me a bilateral breast augmentation in Aug. 2016, taking me from a AA (38 yrs, 3 kids) to a lovely, natural looking D. As opposed to other plastic surgeons in the Vancouver area, Dr. Van Laeken is not a "bigger is better" style of surgeon. She listened as I described to her my lifestyle, my job, and the look I was hoping to achieve. She carefully studied my overall frame and other measurements to determine an optimum size for me. I COULD NOT be happier with my results. My scarring (under breast) is virtually non-existent, thanks to my to-the-letter adherence to her post-op instructions, and my breasts are symmetrical and, as mentioned, very natural looking. Her office is beautiful, her staff are MOST helpful, and I consider myself very fortunate to have found Dr. Van Laeken.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

I had a breast reduction, a tummy tuck and liposuction on sides of my tummy tuck. Unfortunately, the liposuction was done improperly, and now my sides look imbalanced. Furthermore, a strip of my nipple areole was left on each breast, making me even more embarrassed to reveal my breasts to my partner post surgery. I should have done my due diligence with this surgeon. I made a costly mistake, once that I cannot financially rectify.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2016

Absolutely no help and not friendly at all.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2016

I have been very happy with Dr VL. She operated on me 2 weeks ago, I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction (using a silicone gel implant) on my right breast and a mastopexy (lifting of the breast) on my left so my remaining breast would match my implant. Dr VL has been fantastic. This has been a terrifying ordeal, but she has been caring and supportive throughout the process. I have read reviews that stated she was cold, but she is not. She is very professional and businesslike, but I ike this approach. She is very efficient and will give you the facts, but will take the time to listen and support you. I think her businesslike approach might turn some people off (I have a friend who had a mastectomy earlier this year and told me that Nancy was a bit abrupt). I appreciate her businesslike approach, but have also found her to be very caring and supportive. As I was being prepped for surgery I started crying, my husband started crying, and she just took my hand and held it and that calmed me down. Yesterday she removed my stitches and when she came into the room she first just stood close and asked me how I was doing and patiently listened while I told her. Now I have to add that last week when I had my bandages removed she was having a busy day and the appointment did seem a bit rushed and I was in and out quickly, but overall I am grateful to have her as my doctor. We are so lucky in Vancouver to have some of the best surgeons in the world. We also have access to immediate breast reconstruction, I chose the silicone gel implant with the Alloderm cadaver skin "hammock" so when I woke up my new breast was already there. So be reassured if you're considering Nancy for breast surgery. As scary as this has been I am very happy with how things have gone so far. The front desk staff are very nice, Nancy is on time, the waiting room has never been crowded. I can also tell you that the whole surgical procedure was far less scary than I imagined: the pre-op nurse at St Paul's was fantastic, very caring and helpful; the anaesthetics they are using now must be so much better than in the past, I honestly felt like I had been asleep dreaming, and woke up quite alert. I asked the nurse for a phone and called my husband myself - he couldn't believe it! I was up walking the halls that night and home the next morning. Also the general surgeon I had was Elaine McKevitt, she removed the tumor and breast tissue, she and Nancy operate at the same time and the whole procedure was over in about 2 hours. Elaine is also a terrific, caring doctor who operates out of the Breast Centre at Mount St Joseph's hospital. So in summary, if you are heading into this put your mind at rest, you are in good hands with Dr VL.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

it is my view that plastic surgeons have their own areas of specialization. I feel that Dr Van laekens specialty is directed to breasts, especially since Allergen (breast implants) awarded her in top sales, and the majority of experience has been dedicated to these clients. However, I also reconized that there is a level of unacceptable arrogance, rude commentary, and lack of knowledge in addressing errors. ( all why speaking in a soft spoken montone voice) Rather interesting especially considering we are consumers purchasing a service, My surgery was to tighten skin, and remove fat from jaw and tighten neck. I interviewed Dr Van Laeken, and discussed over and over my procedure, it was confirmed as I had great volume in the upper cheek , and strong facial muscles, from a life of weight lifting that she would not touch my upper cheeks, eyes, and only focus on the removal of fat from jaw, tighten skin on jaw and neck. We also confirmed injecting my own body fat (from jaw) to fill any lines around upper mouth. We also confirmed that I wanted to maintain a lean muscular look in my face., over and over There was no mention of slicing into my facial muscles, it was my only comfort going under to think that she would only be stiching behind my ear and neck. IN SHOCK AFTER SURGERY MY INCISION WENT AROUND MY FACE, OVER MY EARS INTO THE HAIRLINE, AROUND MY EARS, , UNDER MY CHIN, AND NECK. FACIAL MUSCLES HAD BEEN SEVERED THAT INCLUDED UPPER CHEEK , LOWER FACIAL AREA MUSCLES , UNDER CHIN ( UNDER JAW AREA IS CROOKED AND LUMPY I DEVELOPED AN INFECTION, MY HEAD SWELLED ON ONE SIDE, I HAD TO CONTACT CAMBIE SURGICAL TO CONTACT DR. VAN LAEKEN, TWO DAYS LATER, WHEREUPON I WAS ASKED TO FORWARD PHOTOS, THEN THE WRONG PRESCRIPTION WAS CALLED IN ( MY PHARMACIST BROUGHT IT TO MY ATTENTION ) GONE ARE MY BEAUTIFUL CHEEKS, AND I HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH DEFORMED LUMPY CHEEKS , HOLLOWS UNDER MY EYES, INSTEAD OF REMOVING FAT FROM MY JAW, FAT WAS ADDED , MY LOWER FACE IS NOW PUFFED LARGER THAN MY CHEEK BONES ITS AS THOUGH SHE DID THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I ASKED. I HAVE NO FEELING IN MY FACE, EARS OR TEMPLES SIX MONTHS NOW AND THERE IS NO IMPROVEMENT MY FACE HAS BEEN TOTALLY MUTILATED. I HAVE HAD TO GO TO PHYSIO JUST TO GET MY JAW OPENING, I HAVE NON STOP RINGING IN MY EARS, MIGRAINES,(NEVER HAD A HEADACHE BEFORE) I AM NOW WAITING FOR RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE SHE CAUSED. EVEN MORE CONCERNING WAS NANCY VAN LAEKEN S BEHAVIOUR AND COMMENTS TO eg": YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON YOUR PERSONALITY NOT YOUR FACE" or suggesting sedatives to me stating " EVEN I USE SOMETHING NOW AND THEN" as I am a runner, body builder, etc.. I do not use substance , and further the fact that a plastic surgeon does is also challenging as during my interview process i did ask about lifestyle. I socialize with many professionals that have reconfirmed my emotional stability. , and have further conveyed that this was most likely a technique she used to cover her inabilities. PRIOR TO SURGERY I HAD PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY TWO DENTISTS AND HAD THEM MAGNIFIED and TWO OTHER DOCTORS. I HAVE ALSO DOCUMENTED DAILY PHOTOS FROM THE DAY OF THE REMOVAL OF BANDAGES AFTER SURGERY, AND FOR MY OWN REFRENCE RECORDINGS OF ALL CONVERSATIONS I STRONGLY SUGGEST CLEAR WRITTEN COMMUNICATION ON THE PROCEDURE PRIOR TO SURGERY THIS IS AN INVESTMENT, THIS IS ALSO A PAID SERVICE, AND LIKE OR NOT THE SURGEON IS WORKING FOR THE CONSUMER ASK FOR REFRENCES, NOT JUST AWARDS OR EDUCATION, ASK ABOUT WHO THE TEAM WORKING WITH THE SURGEON IS. ALSO IF YOU WILL BE PART OF A STUDENT PRACTICUM. JUST BECAUSE ONE MAY PAY FOR SURGERY DOES NOT MAKE THEM EXEMPT FROM BEING USED. INVESTIGATE PRIOR TO YOUR INVESTMENT KNOW THE RISKS , ONE OF THEM IS DEATH. SPEAK WITH SOMEONE WHO WILL HONEST IF YOU REALLY NEED THIS PROCEDURE ( LIKE A NATURALIST) IN MY VIEW WE SHOULD BE LIFTING OUR SELF ESTEEMS , NOT OUR FACE.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016