Ratings for Dr. David M. Grischkan

In October 2005 I contacted Dr. Grischkan for a consultation for repair of an inguinal hernia. This hernia had been previously repaired by two other surgeons. The first repair came undone by it not being sutured properly - i was told. The second repair was done with mesh and I had problems from the start with tugging and pulling pains caused by the mesh bunching up. It was a nightmare situation. I don't remember the chain of events that led me to Dr. Grischkan but what a relief!!! His preoperative diagnosis was a recurrent right inguinal hernia with entrapment of the spermatic cord along with nerve entrapment. He repaired the hernia along with releasing and decompressing the spermatic cord entrapment followed by the decompression of the entrapped ilioinguinal nerve. He also removed all of the dangerous mesh. He told me that my repair was rather extensive and complicated but he expected perfect results. To date I have had no issues with the repair!!! The interesting part is prior to surgery Dr. Grischkan told me that after surgery I would be able to go home and walk and enjoy the other physical things I enjoy. I just laughed knowing full well how the next 3 days were very painful with the other repairs. I can't even describe the amount of pain well. He hit it right on the money - very minor pain and I could function just fine. What a blessing!!! His personal touch is excellent and the cost of the surgery was very competitive. I have referred several friends to Dr. Grischkan for hernia repairs and I will not go to any one else so long as he is still practicing. I have had zero problems with my hernia repair thanks to Dr. Grischkan"s technique. Just wish I would have found him at the first repair!!!

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

Look no further,Absolutely the best in hernia care

flag | Submitted July 25, 2018

Excellent Doctor Had the best experience possible with my surgery Dr Grischkan did everything that he said would happen with a very difficult surgery Highly recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

In 2005, I became a victim of a disastrous double hernia repair, which left me in pain for 12 years. No one should go through what I experienced when dangerous hernia mesh was put in my body. I finally decided that I had to get the hernia mesh removed. I knew that I had to find the best doctor to repair the damage and put my body back to normal. After much research, I was confident that Dr. Grischkan was the top surgeon in the U.S. to perform my double hernia mesh removal surgery. I filled out a short questionnaire and before I knew it, he personally called me on the phone to discuss my medical needs. In today's depersonalized healthcare systems, it was a surprise and a breath of fresh air to get this level of personalized care. I was taken back by the time he spent with me on the phone (it felt like I was back in the 1950's when doctors actually made house calls!). It was a 2-hour drive to his center, but I would have traveled across the country to receive this caliber of hernia and surgical knowledge. After meeting him at my consultation, it did not take long for my husband and I to decide to move forward with the surgery. Dr. Grischkan's friendly manner and extraordinary expertise really put me at ease. It was such a relief to finally find such an authority on hernia issues! He gave me a price for the surgery and I never paid a penny more (no hidden fees or extra charges). His office staff is very responsive and helpful. My anesthesiologist was amazing! He answered all of my questions and really knows his stuff. Dr. Grischkan performed the operation and it was over in no time … finally, after 12 years, I was on the road to recovery. The results are beyond my expectations. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery and already I am experiencing how soft my insides feel. Before, I always felt pulling, tugging and painful jabbing. Now, I am moving so much easier and I can't wait for further healing. I feel like I got my body back! I would highly recommend Dr. Grischkan for any type of hernia repair. He's THE ONE to go to. What I really love is the fact that he is also a driving force and a competent activist to get hernia mesh banned forever. He's fighting the system for the benefit of patients and nothing can be better than that!! Thank you, Dr. Grischkan for your remarkable care and giving me back the quality of life I deserve.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

You won’t find a better surgeon than Dr. Grischkan. I had a large inguinal hernia for many years, if I had know the surgery and recovery time would be so easy I never would have waited so long. The staff at the Hernia Center of Ohio is very welcoming and put me at ease right away. After the initial consultation with Dr. Grischkan my surgery was scheduled for the following week. The surgery was preformed on time with no complications. I had very little pain and never even filled the prescription the Doctor gave me. I was back to work a week after surgery with no restrictions. If you want a surgeon that is professional, caring and knows his stuff I urge you to talk to Dr. Grischkan.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2018

Dr. Grischkan performed my 4th hernia surgery. The first was when I was 18 months old. I had two prior surgeries as an adult, both using mesh and both performed by general surgeons - one in my mid 30's and another in my mid 40's. I am now in my mid 50's and had been living with mild to quite severe pain in the affected area on an almost daily basis. The first surgery as an adult also apparently covered my spermatic core with mesh, which explained why being intimate had been quite painful for a very long time. It has been 10 months since Dr. Grischkan fixed everything and I am back to lifting the weights I was in my younger years and my love life is far more enjoyable. :) The surgery was worth every penny that I paid for it, which I had to pay for out of my own pocket.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

He has the answer! Confident and efficient surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2017

My experience whit Dr. Grischkan and the Hernia Center of Ohio was excellent from start to finish. I couldn't have been happier with office staff, or operating room nurse's and staff. I followed post op instructions and was back to riding my bicycle in four days. I would highly recommend Dr. Grischkan. Ralph Bourne

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

My entire experience with Dr. Grischkan and the Hernia Center of Ohio was excellent—from start to finish. I am 66 years old and hadn’t had any medical procedure done since I had my wisdom teeth out at age 16, i.e., 50 years ago. I mention it because I was really pretty anxious about it all; but, Dr. Grischkan and his staff were patient and professional throughout and kept my mind at rest. The intake people the day before were great, very efficient, had all the papers ready and prepared in advance. I thought I'd have to spend an hour filling out forms, but all I had to do was read, confirm, and sign. The day of the surgery I was pleased to see that everyone involved knew exactly what they were doing. The nurses prepared everything with care, checked everything twice. The anesthesiologist was a real pro. And everyone was really personable about it; I was never treated as a mere “case” or “one more job to do.” When I was wheeled in for the surgery and about to go under the anesthetic, I have to say that at that moment—knowing I was just about to be cut open—I was really happy that I had chosen to go with one of the most expert doctors on the face of the earth for this procedure. I could have gone to a good, recommended general surgeon in my hometown two hours away, but he was not a super-specialist in hernias. They were just one of a dozen or two procedures he did and not even one of his announced specialties. As I went into dreamland, I was very happy I made the trip up the Hernia Center for the specialist. After the fact, I was even more happy. Dr. Grischkan let my wife and I know that I had actually had a double-hernia on the right side and that the edges of the tissues that had to be repaired were thin and had to be doubled over to make sure the repair held. (I had requested no mesh.) But my impression was that Dr. Grischkan had dealt with these kinds of “surprises” many times before, so he could handle anything that came up—he’s seen it all and done it all, so he could make whatever adjustments were necessary at the time without hesitation. I’m not sure a good “general surgeon” would have the ability to do that if he had discovered my two “surprises” right after opening me up. A good general surgeon might not have had the years of experience with just these kinds of complications. I might have ended up with mesh when I didn’t really have to have it. Now if Dr. Grischkan tells me I need mesh, I’ll take it as gospel. He’ll only use it if it is really necessary. He knows what he is about. I recommend him without reservation. His staff were also extremely patient and professional with me after the fact, during my first week of recovery. I called several times with questions and they were unfailingly polite, attentive, and helpful. Good experience all around. I did my 4 hours of walking, which the Center recommends, not just for the first 3 or 4 days but for about two weeks. Really helpful, great recovery plan. I was back at work on Tuesday after surgery Thursday. (Monday was a holiday that week.) Also, no surprises about the charges. All explained beforehand openly and honestly.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

I interviewed several Doctors before deciding on Dr. Grischkan. He was the most knowledgeable, to the point, told me exactly what to expect, plus I had researched the hernia method that he used (modified shouldice method) and it is the best in the world. I was walking within minutes after the surgery (which is a brief out patient surgery) , I was able to drive the next day, I drove all the way on vacation 3 days later, and was back to all normal activities in 4 days and my hernia was about the size of a child's small football . The pain was absolutely minimal and I needed no follow up pain medication except for a couple Advil the first day. People in his waiting room in the surgery center were from all around the country and all just raved about Dr. Grischkan. I have now joined the chorus singing his praises. And the cost for his hernia procedure was no more than what the other general surgeons were that I had consulted with before deciding on Dr. Grischkan. His staff is top notch, pleasant and efficient. He is punctual so there is no extensive sitting around in the waiting room. If you were going to have heart surgery done, you would go to a heart surgeon. The same applies here, if you need hernia surgery done, why would you go to a general surgeon, when you could go to THE HERNIA SURGEON!!! From what I understand, almost half of the surgeries that Dr. Grischkan performs are to correct the bad surgeries performed by other doctors. Need I say more. He is hands down the best around. If I could give him 10 stars, I would I would use no other!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017