Ratings for Dr. David M. Grischkan

Dr. Grischkan performed my 4th hernia surgery. The first was when I was 18 months old. I had two prior surgeries as an adult, both using mesh and both performed by general surgeons - one in my mid 30's and another in my mid 40's. I am now in my mid 50's and had been living with mild to quite severe pain in the affected area on an almost daily basis. The first surgery as an adult also apparently covered my spermatic core with mesh, which explained why being intimate had been quite painful for a very long time. It has been 10 months since Dr. Grischkan fixed everything and I am back to lifting the weights I was in my younger years and my love life is far more enjoyable. :) The surgery was worth every penny that I paid for it, which I had to pay for out of my own pocket.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

He has the answer! Confident and efficient surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2017

My experience whit Dr. Grischkan and the Hernia Center of Ohio was excellent from start to finish. I couldn't have been happier with office staff, or operating room nurse's and staff. I followed post op instructions and was back to riding my bicycle in four days. I would highly recommend Dr. Grischkan. Ralph Bourne

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

My entire experience with Dr. Grischkan and the Hernia Center of Ohio was excellent—from start to finish. I am 66 years old and hadn’t had any medical procedure done since I had my wisdom teeth out at age 16, i.e., 50 years ago. I mention it because I was really pretty anxious about it all; but, Dr. Grischkan and his staff were patient and professional throughout and kept my mind at rest. The intake people the day before were great, very efficient, had all the papers ready and prepared in advance. I thought I'd have to spend an hour filling out forms, but all I had to do was read, confirm, and sign. The day of the surgery I was pleased to see that everyone involved knew exactly what they were doing. The nurses prepared everything with care, checked everything twice. The anesthesiologist was a real pro. And everyone was really personable about it; I was never treated as a mere “case” or “one more job to do.” When I was wheeled in for the surgery and about to go under the anesthetic, I have to say that at that moment—knowing I was just about to be cut open—I was really happy that I had chosen to go with one of the most expert doctors on the face of the earth for this procedure. I could have gone to a good, recommended general surgeon in my hometown two hours away, but he was not a super-specialist in hernias. They were just one of a dozen or two procedures he did and not even one of his announced specialties. As I went into dreamland, I was very happy I made the trip up the Hernia Center for the specialist. After the fact, I was even more happy. Dr. Grischkan let my wife and I know that I had actually had a double-hernia on the right side and that the edges of the tissues that had to be repaired were thin and had to be doubled over to make sure the repair held. (I had requested no mesh.) But my impression was that Dr. Grischkan had dealt with these kinds of “surprises” many times before, so he could handle anything that came up—he’s seen it all and done it all, so he could make whatever adjustments were necessary at the time without hesitation. I’m not sure a good “general surgeon” would have the ability to do that if he had discovered my two “surprises” right after opening me up. A good general surgeon might not have had the years of experience with just these kinds of complications. I might have ended up with mesh when I didn’t really have to have it. Now if Dr. Grischkan tells me I need mesh, I’ll take it as gospel. He’ll only use it if it is really necessary. He knows what he is about. I recommend him without reservation. His staff were also extremely patient and professional with me after the fact, during my first week of recovery. I called several times with questions and they were unfailingly polite, attentive, and helpful. Good experience all around. I did my 4 hours of walking, which the Center recommends, not just for the first 3 or 4 days but for about two weeks. Really helpful, great recovery plan. I was back at work on Tuesday after surgery Thursday. (Monday was a holiday that week.) Also, no surprises about the charges. All explained beforehand openly and honestly.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

I interviewed several Doctors before deciding on Dr. Grischkan. He was the most knowledgeable, to the point, told me exactly what to expect, plus I had researched the hernia method that he used (modified shouldice method) and it is the best in the world. I was walking within minutes after the surgery (which is a brief out patient surgery) , I was able to drive the next day, I drove all the way on vacation 3 days later, and was back to all normal activities in 4 days and my hernia was about the size of a child's small football . The pain was absolutely minimal and I needed no follow up pain medication except for a couple Advil the first day. People in his waiting room in the surgery center were from all around the country and all just raved about Dr. Grischkan. I have now joined the chorus singing his praises. And the cost for his hernia procedure was no more than what the other general surgeons were that I had consulted with before deciding on Dr. Grischkan. His staff is top notch, pleasant and efficient. He is punctual so there is no extensive sitting around in the waiting room. If you were going to have heart surgery done, you would go to a heart surgeon. The same applies here, if you need hernia surgery done, why would you go to a general surgeon, when you could go to THE HERNIA SURGEON!!! From what I understand, almost half of the surgeries that Dr. Grischkan performs are to correct the bad surgeries performed by other doctors. Need I say more. He is hands down the best around. If I could give him 10 stars, I would I would use no other!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017

Dr. Grischkan is the best hernia surgery doctor around by far. I have had two hernia surgeries by him. One was in the left side of my groin in 1997. I recently had another surgery in March of 2017. Both of the surgeries went excellent no complications what so ever. Both times after the surgeries within 2-3 weeks I felt so good that I felt like I never even had surgery. The procedure he uses is second to none. How fast the recovery time is amazing. The staff where I had the surgeries at were amazing. The first surgery I had I did not have insurance. They had a special rate for people that don't have insurance. Not to many doctors would do that. I would recommend this doctor to anybody that needs hernia surgery. He is the best by far.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

I had my first hernia repair on my right side at age 2 in 1946.Ihade my second hernia repair on my left side at the local HMO in 1989 and was in severe pain for the next 12 month. In 1990 I was informed that the original doctor that performed the repair had died. So the HMO assigned me a new doctor that operated again on the hernia and installed a mesh. The repair lasted approximately 6 months and failed. I was now in severe pain all the time! I asked my latest doctor for a second opinion and he called the next doctor in the hallway over to repeat that if they operated again on me that I would only have a 50%chance for a successful repair plus they would have to remove my left xoxo . They recommended I learn to live the rest of my life with the problem. So now I am 45 years old and in big trouble. My mother read the add in the local news paper and that's when I met the GREAT Dr. David Grischkan and he diagnosed that I have a two inch tear. 5/9/91 Dr. Grischkan successfully repaired my left side, the repair held for 23 years. My next hernia repair was in 2003 on my right side by Dr. Grischkan . When I retired in 2010 and over did what my body was designed for my left side needed an adjustment that took place in 2014. The GREAT Dr. Grischkan once again gave me back my pain free body. The fees were explained at the initial consultations I was self insured at this point. As a hobby I have been a investor all of my adult life and a 30 year member of AAII. The money spent with the Hernia Center Of Ohio is the beat investment I have ever made along with my 47 years of marriage. What I have learned from this experience is YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WELTH. I think Dr. David Grischkan should be rated a six star. P/S Over the years I have referred more than a dozen friends and acquaintances to the Hernia Center Of Ohio with very positive results.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

If you want the BEST, go to Dr. grishchkan. In 2012 I had an ethicon mesh implanted for a hernia repair. It ruined my life and I am currently in litigation against ethicon. When I came back to my dr and told him of all the pain I was in and all the problems I had, he told me I had to take pain pills for the rest of my life. I've sold medical equipment for many years so I know what a racket that business is. Ethicon forced their untested products through the FDA and refused to recall them despite all the problems they were causing people. Once I found out there was a mandatory recall I started doing research for 6 months to figure out who I wanted to fix me. I know drs all to well from my previous line of work, and most of them aren't worth their stethoscope. Dr Grischkan however, is honest, trustworthy, EXPERIENCED, and an all around incredible person; not to mention an AMAZING Dr. i truly thought my life was over and had accepted my fate. I had been in horrible pain from ethicon mesh, it wrapped around my sperm tube (non medical term lol), destroyed my nerves, and was causing permanent nerve damage in my legs. I could not pick up my kids, I could not have intercourse with my wife, my life was ruined by ethicons horrible, untested product. Dr Grischkan gave me my life back. He performed his naturally tissue repair. You will NOT find a better physician for a hernia procedure. I wish he practiced all specialties so I could see him for everything. They broke the mold with Dr.Grischkan. You do not find drs like this anymore. He is not owned by big pharma or some corporate hospital system. He is his own man, and answers to no one. He is under no ones thumb. He has performed over 20,000 hernia surgerys. Dont waste your time, money, or life in the hands of some inexperienced physician whose ego is too large to get a second opinion. They don't call it "practicing medicine" for nothing. Most drs are just practicing. Dr Grischkan is an EXPERT, he wrote the book, his confidence and experience is second to none. Don't put your life in anyone else's hands, if you do and they ruin your body like mine had been in 2012, then it's your fault.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2017

Staff was very friendly, helpful, courteous and professional. Dr Grischkan was wonderful and explained things thoroughly. The fees were explained at the initial consultation so there were no surprises. Recovery time was minimal and the surgery was very successful!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

I underwent right inguinal hernia surgery in 2009 and left inguinal hernia surgery in 2017. My recovery from the first surgery was literally less than 1 week. I was splitting wood 10 days after surgery and felt great. The second took slightly longer... 2 weeks, which by comparison is a short period of time for recovery from hernia repair. His technique and choice of materials is first-rate. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Grischkan for hernia surgery!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017