Ratings for Dr. Joseph B. Billings

I have been disappointed with my treatment from Dr. Billings following surgery to repair my left shoulder labrum. The pre-op care and the surgery itself were fine, but everything since then has been poor. At my three week post-op evaluation, he didn't know how long it had been since my procedure, stating that it had only been one week. I had limited range of motion, but he did not recommend physical therapy until after my six week evaluation, and upon seeing the physical therapist (also at Jewett), she stated that I should have been in PT weeks ago, as I developed adhesive capsulitis. The expectations for recovery Billings gave were hugely overoptimistic, as he made it seem as though I would be able to resume full activity after six weeks, and that I would be able to run within a week after the procedure. The physical therapist has since informed me that they don't recommend doing any running until 12-15 weeks afterward, as you want to protect the anchor they put in to re-attach the labrum. Setting up an appointment for surgery or physical therapy is a nightmare, although that is a problem with Jewett, not necessarily Dr. Billings. For the surgery, I had to call a voicemail and leave my number for them to call me back and reschedule. It took two calls and roughly a week for them to respond. When I was finally prescribed physical therapy, again, I couldn't make the appointment at that time, but was told that someone would call me to set it up. It took seven days for them to contact me. Overall, my experience with Dr. Billings has been bad, and I would definitely seek another surgeon if I decide to have the procedure on my other shoulder (as I have a torn labrum in that shoulder as well).

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

I have been with DR . Billings for years after several knee treatment . That went very, very well after following all of his recomendations for follow up. A very patient man. Highly recommend him. He has also done both knee replacements, that are almost normal now also a shoulder surgery any fault was my own for not following his directive . Highly , highly recommend him . A patient for years

flag | Submitted August 12, 2012

Dr. Billings is a great surgeon, however follow up care is difficult when you can never get in to see him. He gives you options, and hope, but waiting months for an MRI, or an appointment with chronic pain is too difficult, great doctor, hard to see.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2011

Dr. Billings operated on my R shoulder 7 yrs ago & I wish I'd had it done ten years before I did. He also operated on my daughters shoulder 4 years ago and my son's knee 5 yrs ago. We have all done very well and have been pleased with his care.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. Joseph Billings did my ACL in February 2007 and with his great work and my hard physical theraphy I was able to play soccer one month earlier then scheduled. I am able to touch my butt with my heel and my knee feels great. I would highly recommend Dr. Billings to anybody who wants to get back to the game soon, just like myself and many of my teamates and friends.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2008

i met with Dr. Billings this past month for a review of my knee pain. i haven't had surgery [yet] but wanted to post about my initial visit. although my appt was late [tell me a drs office that DOESN"T overbook?] Billings took his time discussing my injury, possible care, addressing my questions. i never felt rushed or that i didn't have his full attention.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2008

I went to Dr Billings as a third opinion for a very specific shoulder procedure. I was looking to have a duplicate surgery as the one that was very successful on my other shoulder. He agreed to my request. Upon waking from the surgery, he informed me that he decided not to implement the second procedure that we had agreed upon. I was not happy. I have rehabilitated from the surgery, but still have a tendency towards instability and dislocation of the shoulder he worked on. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to avoid. While my other shoulder has no negative issues at all. In summary, I was very disappointed in his care.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2008

I agree with the person that rated Dr. Billings first. I had a torn cartlige in my knee. It's hard to find a Dr. that will take time to explain all your questions or worrys. He acts like there isn't anyone else waiting to see him. There is no pressure to hurry up and tell him your concerns. He did a great job on my knee. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2008

Dr. Billings is phenominal. He performed an ACL reconstruction on my knee. At office visits I've had to wait for a short time on occasion, but once he's in the room the attention he gives me makes me feel like I'm his only patient. So I never mind waiting because I'm sure he is as courteous, detailed, and patient with everyone he sees. He describes things clearly and draws pictures to clarify. He is never oondescending or inconsiderate. He always asks if I have questions and answers them all before he leaves. He's an all around wonderful doctor who I recommend highly.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2005

Dr. Joseph B. Billings's Credentials

• Philadelphia College Of Osteopathic Medicine (Grad. 1987)