Ratings for Dr. Stanley Hashimoto

I can no longer stay silent on Dr Hashimoto and his physical assaults on his patients, given the "yanking my legs" comments of 2 other patients. Years ago when my headaches were undiagnosed as to causality (diagnosed long after seeing Hashimoto as a seizure disorder), when I complained to Hashimoto about severe pain in my neck and how a physiotherapists adjustments to my neck had given me relief, he told me to sit on the edge of the bed in the way I did when seeing my physiotherapist. He then just reefed on my neck and said these exact words "if your neck was broken you couldn't do that"! I have never experienced more pain in my entire life. Dr Hashimoto is psychologically deranged. He is not fit to practice medicine.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2016

Dr. Hashimoto should retire for the sake of his patient's wellbeing. After having been diagnosed years ago for MS, I wanted an updated assessment due to recent changes in my health due to the MS and to explore my options for treatment. When I started my appointment I informed the Doctor why I was there and what new/recent symptoms I had been struggling with. He had me lay on the examining table and proceeded to yank my legs around and test their strength. Dr. Hashimoto pronounced "You're fine, go home". I was stunned. I never have had an issue with my legs, but there are cognitive and pain issues that I wanted addressed and I told him that. He just shrugged and said "you won't have any problems with your legs". UBC is an old boy's club, which is why he's probably still practicing, but for the sake of patient health he should be forced to retire. The man is well over 80; and his manner and attention to the patient details indicates that he's just not up to the job any longer. His staff seem to reflect his nature as they are rude and do not follow up on enquiries. However wonderful Hashimoto might have been as a doctor in his youth, he doesn't seem to be able to provide the care he used to. His awareness of why I was there to see him, just wasn't there.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

I would see Dr. Hashimoto once a year after I was first diagnosed with M.S in the early 90's . During one particular visit there was a young family ahead of me, a young mom ,dad and their two children . The mom had M.S and was using a cane. They had traveled all the way from Prince George to see him. They finished with their appointment and it was my turn, the first thing he said to me was" I don't know why you people continue to breed like rabbits" Nice one!! I don't think he excelled in bed side manner.. He never told me anything I didn't already know.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2016

I'm shocked to read the negative comments about Dr Hashimoto. After a spinal injury from a workplace accident in the 70's I Was very fortunate to get Dr Hashimoto as my Doctor. He was instrumental in getting me to complete my education and fought with the Compensation board for me. I'm in my 60's now and close to retirement from a successful career which I believe I owe to Dr Hashimoto.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2016

I had been a patient of Dr. Hashimoto since 2003. Recently he has stopped seeing patients so I have a new neurologist. Dr, Hashimoto was always pleasant, he is very matter of fact which I like. He was never negative. I am disappointed that he is no longer my MS doctor. He had called my home to personally tell me that he was no longer practicing but unfortunately I was not home but my husband spoke with him and said that Dr, Hashimoto was not abandoning me but for personal reasons would no longer be available to see patients. I only saw him annually but for him to take the time to call to explain why he would no longer be my doctor I thought was truly going the extra mile.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2015

When I was first diagnosed Hashimoto told me to drop out of university because I would be dead in less than 8 years. Fast forward 24 years later and I'm still here. After all those years of doing fairly well I had concerns and went back to him for an updated assessment and help. All he did was yank my legs around roughly and haphazardly (which was quite unnerving) and told me"your legs are fine", and then he put me on a medication for my concerns without any counselling about what they would do to me. He was rude and dismissive and he should have sent me for an updated MRI. The drug he prescribed was a nightmare and it was the worst experience I'd ever had and when I called his office for help, they didn't pick up the phone so I left a detailed message. I did that several times and no one ever called me back. I finally weened myself off to it myself by getting the instructions on how to do so from the internet and when I called in to the office to report the problems. Voila I finally got to speak to a real person and his staff just laughed and said "oh well". This doctor needs to retire and let a fresher mind take over the helm. His staff need to go wash dishes for a living, because they do not seem capable of dealing with the public directly.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

Dr Hashimoto was outstanding in every way. I've just read the comments about him - the positive ones perfectly reflect my experience - but the negative ones don't jibe at all…. they sound written by someone with another personal issue with Dr H. For anyone reading this site to get a sense of Dr Hashimoto: you'll be lucky to have him for your neurologist.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

Dr. Hashimoto has been an excellent doctor for me. From the onset of my diagnosis of MS and 8 years later he is the same understanding, knowledgeable and caring doctor. I am now on medication and continue to live my life to the best of my ability. He is supportive and understands to the best of his ability what I am experiencing with this brutal disease. I am very appreciative of his wealth of experience with MS and how he has treated me as his patient.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

I consider Dr Stanley Hashimoto to be one of the most vicious human beings I have ever known. When I was very ill and neurologically undiagnosed, Dr Hashimoto ridiculed the brain scan evidence I wanted to discuss with him as being a"temporary aberration in the scan." The evidence later turned out to be a seizure disorder. This man is a self congratulatory phoney.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2013

I had a very positive visit with Dr Hashimoto. I was running a little late due to traffic, but the staff were understanding,friend, courteous and very helpful. Dr. Hashimoto was fabulous; attentive to what I had to say about my current issues with MS; it was an intelligent conversation followed by some exam and his recommendations and instructions for the medication he was putting me on and he explained why he was putting me on it, and how we would be proceeding. He was very detailed in the info he gave me. I read some of the comments below and if you were depressed by his truthfullness, than you need to grow up..he tells it like it is; he's honest and upfront about giving out information. Talk intelligently and with courtesy, and that is exactly what you get back. Dr. Hashimoto has a huge brain; don't expect to be coddled and babied by a huge brain. He is a very busy man, but at no time did he ever make me feel rushed. I, for one, am very appreciative to have him as my doctor.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2012