Ratings for Dr. Jennifer M. Specht

Dr. Specht seen me for the first time, when I found out I had invasive breast cancer. I found her not to be supportive of me, I was still in pain, she said within meeting me about five minutes, that I should not be in pain still - it had been about 4 weeks since my surgery. She gave me medication, said I wouldnt lose my hair, just take vitamin d and calcium for my bones. I had a heart attack, high blood pressure, and heart failure this year, you are not to take the medicine if you did. The medications first side of affects were hot flashes and hair loss, which she said it wouldnt affect hair loss at all. She seemed impatient with me and I asked for a refill of other medication, and was told I will do this once and only once for you, and not to ask again - it was for tylenol, to go with my other pain medication. I am going to request a new Dr.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2013

Dr. Specht is very knowledgeable, but seemed unwilling or unable to support patient decision-making during cancer treatment. She did not adequately describe the risk/benefit profiles of competing treatments (based on what I later learned), but instead steered me toward one alternative. I'll take part of the blame for bad communication, but she gets the other half. And, when some of my side effects became unmanageable, she was unwilling to support patient decision-making ("that's not protocol" was a typical, unhelpful response). Drs. Georgiana Ellis and Hannah Linden, also at SCCA, were far better listeners, more informative and comfortable with patient autonomy, and "got" that even a little information is better than none. Staffing is a moving target - when I first started seeing Dr. Specht, her nurse was truly outstanding; after a staff change, though, she had the most inexperienced and ill-informed nurse I encountered during my 18 month treatment - Ouch! Hit or miss, I guess...

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Dr. Jennifer M. Specht's Credentials

• University Of Washington School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

Molina