Ratings for Dr. Ralph Zabel

I have been a patient of Dr. Zabel's for almost 10 years and I have found him to be incredibly knowledgeable and has a great sense of humour. I would not let anyone else look after my eyes.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

Dr. Zabel is a textbook example of those people going into medicine for one reason: $$$. He does not know the meaning of compassion or manners. His staff do their best to divert the patient.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

I got referred to Dr Ralph Zabel for cataract in both of my eyes. I met with Dr Zabel for the first time in April 2016 then he booked surgery 8 months later cause he said if don't dot it I go blind and I'm very young to have cataract. 1 month prior to surgery we discussed the lens options and before the surgery he offer me the bifocal Lens which he said it's the best option for me  and it will last life time with no problem and he insisted that the OHIP lenses were no good!!!Dr zabel he did not explain the procedure or pros and cons about this lens or mention anything  cause usually he doesn't do it and tell the patients any detailed and I have strong proof of that which I knew later after two surgeries for the same eye that it wasn't for me at all . I was given many eye drops  and I went through a lot so when I saw Dr. Zabel for a follow-up. He said everything was fine. But that wasn't the case,  a moth after my surgery it was a living nightmare, my vision started to be very blurry which never was before and I was experiencing a lot of pain. I saw him again November 8th to tell him about my pain and express my concerns to him. He then told me: “You should thank god you still see.” No this is not how you treat your patients , He decided another laser surgery in the 18 of November . He was just so rude and ignorant. The laser surgery which I was promised to have my vision back to normal started my nightmare So I ended up seeing another Optometrist  and  have different type of eye drops for Many days cause they thought I had inflammation in the eye.but no dr Eric at the end told me it's the lens wasn't for my eye👀 I was sent back to dr zabel to hear the big surprise that The outcome of the surgery was successful but The lense that was implanted during the surgery were bifocal, which was absolutely wrong for my eye. He said my options were either to live with it, or to undergo another surgery which will be very dangerous and risky that I might have many complications  to replace it with the OHIP one instead  and now this doctor is telling me that I would have to do another one? The big surprise was dr zabel wrote in his letter to the college of physicians that the surgery can't be done at all so he was laying to me or he wants me to be his experiment. Ive been through so much this year because of my vision. I am a single mother of 5 kids, now feel like I can't trust these doctors. This has taken a toll on me and my family, blurry vision, discomfort, pain, headaches day and night overall this has been a nightmare which I was clearly ordered from dr zabel not to mention it he even told me why you did the caterac surgery and why I came to him which wasn't my choice I was a follower, he was referred to me at the eye Clinique at kilborn by dr Eric My conclusion from this experience is that Dr Zabel should stop practicing because clearly he isn't fit for this anymore  , he has ruined my life and he has no remorse. Who is  responsible to protect the patients from these kind of doctors??? Where are the human right to pursue these doctors!!!!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2017

knowledgeable, competent, talented. He's not there to be your latest BFF but to do what he does best - and that he does.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

I had a bad experiences with this doctor. During the initial evaluation he manipulated me into purchasing a more expensive cataract lens, some $300, but at the end of the surgery the hospital gave me a piece of paper with the details of the lens that was installed, and the lens installed was different from the lens that I had purchased. They refused to refund the money. Also, he used steroid drugs for an extensive period of time, when research from the American Association of Ophthalmologists strongly advises against the extensive use of steroid drugs. When I pointed this out to him, he just threw a temper tantrum.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2017

I have only dealt with him twice, but both times he had such severe halitosis I almost threw up. Seriously, when you're face to face with patients, ensure you have gum, mints, or breath spray handy at all times. As for his helpfulness, that is still undetermined. It has yet to be confirmed if my procedure will have to be repeated. Apparently dark eyes are hard to laser ! That was his excuse for a possible repeat.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I have visited Dr Zabel some 7 or 8 times over the last six or so years and he performed cataract surgery on both of my eyes. How time flies! Dr Zabel possesses a vast amount of theoretical and practical experience and he certainly knows what he is doing. He doesn't talk more than is necessary. He always gets to the point quickly and efficiently, which I like. It appears that I may have a glaucoma problem developing in one eye and I have every confidence and expectation that I will receive the very best recommendations and treatment from Dr Zabel. I interacted with three of Dr Zabel's staff members today and all three were most professional, helpful and caring. No long waits and no problems at all from my perspective. A well-oiled machine all round!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

Horrible experience with cataract operation: did not tell me the possible complications, which happened to me. Rude, impertinent, and uninterested in patients. Never going back. I wish I had known before surgery.

Submitted February 22, 2017

D.r Zabel is a highly skilled surgeon. I have just had my second surgical cataract procedure with him. In our initial meeting he discussed with me my options for intraocular lens's and we settled on the symphony lens. In less than 2 days after my final procedure I was able to read without corrective eye wear for the first time in almost 30 years. It is truly amazing. If you are looking for a knowledgeable doctor with skilled surgical hands Dr. Zabel is the one to see.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

Love the guy, I can make him laugh, which saying a lot given his personality. He is cool, competent and not hard to look at.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017