Ratings for Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist

I have been going to Dr. Friedmann now for quite a few years and really enjoy each time I’ve met with him. I especially enjoyed his brand new office where he and his wife are working together. The office is tasteful, calming and a very pleasant experience. He has state of the art equipment not found anywhere on the island that was amazing and gives an even better view into your eyes and their health. He is very thorough, takes time to ask if you had any questions and and answers and explains things in a way that a regular non medically trained person can understand. He has explained things that no one else has that relate to other aspects of my health. He’s gentle, kind, has a great sense of humour and all around great optometrist. I’m so glad my dad recommended him to me, it’s been great having such a knowledgeable professional looking out for me. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2019

Just went and for an eye appointment in Dr Friedmann's new office space. What a wonderful space! And the doctor had new, extremely high tech equipment which he walked me through as a pre-test for the exam. Have been a long-time patient, and Dr Friedmann's ability to relate to the layman with accessible language is my favourite thing about him. I'm very impressed with the new office space, and it was sweet to see him and his wife working together again. Always an excellent experience with him.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2019

I have always been empowered by Dr. Friedmann's expertise , compassionate caring and his very supportive nature. He communicates in depth so that the patient understands and leaves feeling valued. More physicians and doctors could learn from this outstanding model of compassion. I highly recommend him. He also expedited a process for surgery that will now take only a few months wait as opposed to over a year.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Thank you very much for your kind words and praise; I feel privileged to be able to serve others through my work as an optometrist. I strive to be as compassionate and supportive as possible, and I find great satisfaction in educating each patient about their eye health care to the best of my ability. I feel that each patient deserves to be empowered to make the decisions that best meet their individual needs. In my view, each patient is deserving of my undivided professional attention. With gratitude, Dr. Bryan Friedmann.

Submitted August 12, 2019

I went in an had an eye appointment with Dr. Friedmann and he was lovely. Great appointment, caring, engaged, considerate. I did have a problem though which (even after I went in to clarify) was not addressed as I had hoped. I was given a prescription for eye glasses, which I purchased there. Was happy with the service. I tried to use this prescription for contact lenses but I was not able to, as my contact provider stated I needed a separate prescription. I went in to Dr. Friedmann and he stated that there was not a separate prescription for contact lenses. I have since clarified with another professional that there is. This was disappointing.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Thank you for taking the time to write this comment; we value your feedback greatly. From your comment, I understand that you were seeking a prescription for glasses and contact lenses. I always clarify that I don't fit patients for contact lenses or sell glasses; instead, I suggest patients seek this service from a licensed dispenser. The prescription given by an Optometrist is a measurement of a patient's eye power (sphere, cylinder, axis and add power) at the time of the exam. It's like measuring your foot and saying how long and wide it is. It does not tell you what shoes to buy. A patient then works with a licensed dispenser (Optician or dispensing Optometrist) to determine what product/brand to choose (glasses, contact lenses). Using the shoe metaphor, its like going to a shoe store and choosing to purchase either hikers, runners, dress shoes etc based on your foot measurements. As you may well know, each shoe fits differently, depending on the brand of shoe, type of shoe and so forth. You state that you went to another professional who clarified that you required a separate prescription for contact lenses. A contact lens prescription specifies the brand of contact lens, its base curve and radius. The power was determined by the prescription I already gave you. As I don't dispense, I don't provide the contact lens prescription, which includes the brand name, base curve and radius; this is the responsibility of the contact lens fitter. Sometimes, a dispensing fee is charged by the fitter for this service. I hope this helps clarify the confusion regarding the optometric service I provided you.

Submitted July 29, 2019

I am an elderly patient who has been seeing Dr. Bryan Friedmann for 20+ years. I recently requested an appointment with him to discuss my potential eye surgery. Being able to talk with Dr. Friedmann about my concerns and fears in the safety of his office made me feel supported by this incredibly caring and experienced doctor. I am now able to make a decision whether to pursue surgery, thanks to the clarity I have following my consult with Dr. Friedmann. Being able to see the pictures of my eyes was helpful… I have a better idea of what I am dealing with and what is damaged and what is not. Again, I am thankful to Dr. Friedmann for his years of support and insights. Sincerely, Margaret M.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Thank you, Margaret, for your kind words about the optometric care you received from Dr. Friedmann. We feel privileged to be of service to you.

Submitted July 24, 2019

Dr Friedmann is excellent. He is thorough, caring, explains things, and takes the time to help you understand any issues. His sense of humour makes your appointment feel more relaxed and comfortable. We are so fortunate to have him for our eye care.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent eye exam experience with Dr. Friedmann. Your kind comments are much appreciated!

Submitted July 24, 2019

My wife and family and I have known Dr. Bryan Friedman for many years. He has looked after us with an outstanding expertise matched only by his friendly attentive caring attitude. No problem is too big for him to investigate and handle and his relaxed and informative attitude makes each visit a pleasure. He recently diagnosed a very difficult problem I had with one eye. Because of his perseverance and interaction with our family doctor I am now on the right path for recovery. All in all he is certainly No. 1 to our family. Jean V

flag | Submitted June 5, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Dear Jean V! The continued support of you and your wife over the years is very much appreciated. I am honoured to be entrusted by both of you with your eye health care.

Submitted July 24, 2019

Thank you, Dr Friedmann, for the reliable care of my eyes. Your professional dedication means a great deal to me. Your continuity of care and is important to me, and your tireless effort to educate me about the status of my eye health encourages a patient to be involved and do their part to manage their care. Much appreciated!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2019

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Dear valued patient! I believe that every patient should be empowered with knowledge about their eyes so that they can make an informed decision about what is best for them. For this reason I will always take the time to educate each patient about his/her eye health. Thanks, Dr. Bryan

Submitted July 24, 2019

Very good Doctor and is very understanding . I highly recommend him to everyone 👍

flag | Submitted July 10, 2018

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Thank you for your kind review of the services you received by Dr. Friedmann

Submitted July 24, 2019

Thank you, Dr. Friedmann, for helping my mother-in-law with her eyes. You are a kind spirited and wonderful man! MH

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's response
Dear MH! Thank you for your lovely review of the services your mother-in-law received in our office. It means a lot to me to be able to of service. Dr. Bryan

Dr. Bryan Friedmann - Victoria’s Optometrist's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Bryan Friedmann received his Bachelor of Science degree, with distinction, from Brock University in 1985. He went on to pursue his Doctor of Optometry degree at the University of Waterloo and graduated in 1989. He has worked as an optometrist in Victoria since then. Dr. Friedmann practices out of his home office in Cordova Bay, and he also sees patients out of Shelbourne Optical and Esquimalt Optical. In addition to examining patients in these locations, Dr. Friedmann is also equipped to conduct comprehensive ocular and vision examinations for non-mobile patients residing in hospitals, nursing homes, and private homes. His practice is mostly focused on providing comprehensive ocular health and vision care. He believes that his patients come first! For this reason, Dr. Friedmann has maintained an unbiased non-dispensing practice since he began private practice, and his patients trust that he has their best interests at heart. As an experienced doctor specializing in the diagnosis, treatment and management of many eye conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachments, and macular degeneration, Dr. Friedmann takes the time to listen carefully to the concerns of each patient. His patients often comment on how kind, gentle and thorough his exams are. They particularly appreciate the effort Dr. Friedmann takes to use layman terms to communicate his findings in a clear and simple way. Dr. Friedmann loves being involved in his community. He has volunteered in Baseball Little League and continues to donate a substantial amount of time as a Scouts Canada leader. He is currently a speaker for the Canadian Diabetes Association. Dr. Friedmann enjoys the outdoors, tries to play the guitar, and is a devout reader. He has four children and this keeps him young! He enjoys educating his patients about his findings and the options open to them. He also loves to hear a good joke from his patients.

• English

• Brock University
  • School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Waterloo

• Holistic Eye Health
  • Mobile Hospital / Home Ocular Health
  • Mobile Hospital / Home Vision Care

• Duke of Edinburgh Gold Level Award (1985)
  • Various Scouting awards