Ratings for Dr. Sheldon Koven

To call this man a doctor is an insult to the profession. He sees my father in a facility as my father doesn't have a choice. My father has been having health issues. Doctor Joke here has put him on a medicine that is too strong for my father. As a result, he is experiencing some of the worst side effects of his life. My father is my hero. At this rate, we will be burying my father before the end of the year. This horrible human being is on the road to killing my father due to his incompetence. If your family member has this butcher for a doctor, do them a favour and get them away from him!!!

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr. Koven is well past his prime in diagnosing and treating patients if ever he had a prime. (Some of the comments posted on this site would indicate otherwise.) Dr. Koven has looked after two elderly family members over the last few years. Both of our family members had conditions that were misdiagnosed and dismissed by him. The first family member used him as his family doctor and visited him many times over the course of a year regarding stomach issues. Dr. Koven told him there was nothing wrong and he was fine. Our family member eventually had to go to Emergency in excruciating pain where they found a very large cancerous tumor causing a bowel obstruction, and he died 10 days later. Dr. Koven wondered if he had “missed something” when he spoke to a family member after the funeral. Our second family member was in a nursing home where Dr. Koven is the medical on call doctor. (We had no choice in choosing him as a doctor, as this is the doctor the nursing home insisted that all patients use.) Dr. Koven was called in to look at a large lesion on our family member’s back. When questioned about this he said “it looked much worse than it was”. Despite the fact it was oozing, bleeding and draining all over our relative’s shirt we were told it was not cause for concern. Dr. Koven was also asked about our family member’s breathing issues and our concern was expressed about the green sputum that was being coughed up. Dr. Koven told us “this was due to COPD and it was good that the green sputum was being coughed up.” He continued to give us a condescending lecture about COPD. We were still worried as our family member had a respiratory infection and had been on antibiotics that ended 10 days prior to this. We questioned if the course of antibiotics had been long enough in light of the green color of phlegm. Dr. Koven told us everything was fine and that they would “keep an eye on it”, and not to worry .He never even took out a stethoscope to listen to our relative’s chest. Our family member passed away that same night. He had several hours of difficulty breathing and then his breathing stopped altogether. Two strikes for Dr. Koven. No confidence in the man whatsoever.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

I found him to be a very rude and impolite person. He'd be much better in a profession where he doesn't have to interact with people.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2010

Very poor dignostic skills!Missed several things that other Doctors very quickly focussed on and treated.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2008

My doctor for many years. Always very caring and willing to refer if he is unsure of diagnosis.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2007

Very helpful and very knowledgeable,Never over books .TREATS HIS PATIENTS IN A VERY PROFESSIO NAL MANNER.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2007

I have been very lucky to have been in the care of this gentleman since I was in my early 30s. I am now in my late sixties. I dread the day he retires, because there is nobody better. He is caring, compassionate, answers your questions clearly and concisely. If he feels that he has attempted to resolve a medical situation to the best of his knowledge, he is NOT so arrogant that he won't recommend a specialist. Re those who complain about having to wait sometime that is because he gets behind since other patients want to be squeezed in at the last moment due to what they perceive as an emergency plus the fact that the good doctor takes his time with you and never gives you the proverbial bum's rush. May he, upon his retirement, have many more good years himself.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2007

dr k has been my doc. for years he's my familys doc. . well my brother asked for help got pill in stead. my mom is haveing problems and is just critazing her he is very nice good bed side maner

flag | Submitted October 1, 2007

I WAS VERY UPSET WITH THE CARE MY GRANDMOTHER RECEIVED FROM DR. KOVEN. SHE HAS BEEN A PATIENT OF HIS SINCE HE BEGAN PRACTICING AND AFTER BEING DIAGNOSED WITH TERMINAL CANCER HE WAS UPSET WITH THE FAMILY FOR "BOTHERING HIM" FOR INFORMATION, AND WAS VERY DEFENSIVE EVEN WITH HER. A CARING DOCTOR-I DON'T THIK SO!

flag | Submitted May 4, 2007

Dr. Koven has been my family doctor for a number of years (since my early teens). I always seem to find Dr. Koven very caring and compasionate. He takes the time to listen to what I have to say. No matter how stupid your question may be Dr. Koven always answers it very promptly. The most thing that I like about Dr. Koven's practice is that his receptionist always makes an effort to squeeze you in at the last minute. Very rare do I ever have to go to a walk in clinic or emergency. WAY TO GO DR. KOVEN AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2007