Ratings for Dr. S. Handelsman

I saw this Doctor a few years ago and I'm writing this review now because it took me years and years to find an actual specialist who helped me. When I went to see this doctor he had me tell my story about my pain. I've had back pain, knee pain and shoulder/collar bone pain for 14 years. He listened to me talk for about 5 mins while he repeated it back to his computer to "write it down". After that he had me bend over and I guess checked my back and my knees. He checked by just looking. So I waited 4 months to see this doctor only to have 5-7 mins with him and for him to say to me "You're totally fine, you're too young (I'm 29 now I was about 24/25 when I saw him) and you just need to go to the gym, work out and lose some weight and you'll be all better goodbye". As I was leaving I was told him he wasn't even listening to me and he said "I can assure you I was now get out of my office". That was the end of our visit and he never made a follow up appointment or anything. By the way I'm 5'4 and weighed about 150lbs-160lbs at the time.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2018

I sadly agree with many of the terrible reviews on here after seeing this guy. I don't want to even call him a doctor. He was unbelievably dismissive and arrogant. Everything a doctor should not be. I have to agree with a previous reviewer. I strongly second guess the validity of the positive reviews. Do yourself a favour a seek a doctor that takes an interest in his patients and listens to patients. Maybe at one point when he first started his career he was a good doctor (says the people that have had him for 25yrs) but I assure you, this is no longer the case. In my 15 years of extensive rheumatic medical treatment this is the most disappointed and frankly disgusted I have ever been with a person in the medical field. Moving on to find a new Rheumatologist. Really wish my last one didn't retire.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2018

Best rheumatologist in the city had arthritis for over 35 years very knowledgeable got down to the root of my problem solve my problem Been arthritic free for several years now thanks to Dr Handelsman. And his secretary‘s name is Jennifer very accommodating and friendly and tries to get your appointments the best that she is able to. I see other peoples rating him less than five stars obviously they don’t understand the disease of arthritis and procedures you must go through. It’s not an overnight fix you have to be patient and try different ways to solve your problems which she has done very pleased with the staff and the doctor highly recommended

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

After reading these reviews I questioned whether people were seeing a different doctor. This guy was THE worst doctor I have ever seen. Consistently interrupted me. I couldn’t get a word in edgewise to ask questions or even give him my symptoms. Extremely arrogant with a terrible bedside manner. I left very dissapointed and in shock at how terrible my experience was with him. I question these positive reviews and their validity due to my experience. Be very careful with this doctor and get a second option.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2017

Completely useless. It had been a month since my hospital stay when I first saw him, and at my follow-up appointment I came prepared with a list of symptoms that I had experienced since then (I'm getting worse). He literally interrupted me every time I tried to say something, and said it sounded like my GP and I had things under control and sent me away. I am still in pain every day and can't live my life. Why couldn't he just let me talk? Frustrating.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

I think the world of Dr Handelsman. His secretary Jen is terrific I've known him for over 25 years. He's an amazing person and outstanding doctor.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2017

I got my life back. I'm in my mid-40's, leading an active and healthy lifestyle and experienced sudden and severe on-set of joint pain (swollen joints, difficulty walking, going up stairs). I was referred to Dr. H by my family doctor and he was very knowledgeable and thorough in reviewing my condition and recommending a course of treatment. Within a week I was much better and within a couple of months I was back at the gym. It's been over a year and I'm almost medication free, back to my active lifestyle and thankful I was referred to this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

Great doctor with a fantastic knowledge of the entire body. He has helped me considerably

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Very knowledgable, quick to recognize & diagnose my problems...

flag | Submitted November 18, 2016

Dr. Handelsman was a blessing for me. I was in severe pain with a very fast on set just after my 40th birthday. He diagnosed me with severe RA and immediately prescribed a cocktail of prescriptions. Almost immediately (within 5 days)I was able to walk up and down stairs unassisted by a railing or another person. I have had a few set backs but overall I feel awesome. I have been symptom free for 2 years and am almost medication free. I am extremely active and fulfilled my goal of completing two extreme obstacle courses last year (Warrior & Mud Hero). I have worked very hard at maintaining my health but none of this would have been possible without Dr. Handelsman. His office staff is always professional and helpful. Thank You!

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014