Ratings for Dr. James Sacamano

Dr S is very kind and an excellent listener. He was very quickly able to focus in on the nature of my difficulties and make helpful recommendations. My experience with him has been very encouraging, and I feel more hopeful and more at peace having seen him.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

Dr. Sacramento was patient and kind, even though it was the emergency room. He helped me sort a few things out so in the end I didn't have to be admitted and had some hope for the future.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2015

This doctor diagnosed me with unipolar bipolar disorder in one sitting and tried to put me on Lithium, an old-school drug, after I was referred to him for anxiety. In spite of the fact that I had just had brain surgery the previous week (I still had the staples in my head!) he was insistent that my anxiety had nothing to do with that or the underlying condition that necessitated it. After my surgery and as I've healed my anxieties have decreased on their own and the two psychiatrists I have had the pleasure of dealing with since that time have found no evidence of any sort of bipolar disorder. I think this man needs to go back to school and catch up to the rest of his profession, in both medical knowledge and current treatments.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2013

Dr. Sacamano changed my life. Without his diagnosis of inattentive ADD, I'd probably be living in a rubber room in the psyche ward, attached to a valium drip, humming elevator music in a flat, off key tone. I had been seen by psychologists, shrinks, hypnotists, sleep disorder clinics: I tried every drug and alternative therapy in existence without success. Within days of the diagnosis, my head felt clear, I was able to concentrate for several minutes at a time - although on occasion I have tried to brush my teeth with the ADD medication still in my mouth...you know, having forgotten to swallow it. I cannot recommend this man and his diagnostic skills highly enough. Add to that his generosity of time and his gentle, helpful nature and you have a man of true brilliance :)

flag | Submitted February 17, 2013

I can't say enough good things. He listened to my goals about getting off the meds one day (and we accomplished that eventually), he recommended natural supplements and lifestyle changes, and he gave me plenty of agency in deciding what steps to take next when certain meds weren't working. His direct approach worked well for me. Psychiatry is a very personal thing, and what works for some won't work for all, but his approach worked very well for what I needed. The combination of meds + CBT + a sympathetic ear were great!

flag | Submitted February 10, 2013

Everyone will have a different experience depending on your reason for asking for help, your desire to achieve a goal or outcome and the belief that you can see change in your life. I was referred to see Dr S at UVIC due to crippling anxiety and and overwhelming sense of 'failure' in every aspect of my life. My experience with Dr Sacamano was extremely rewarding; I felt he assisted me to find the strength within me to accomplish things I once never thought I could. As a helper he was genuine, resourceful and directed me to new learning opportunities and experiences for personal growth. His rapport was caring, empathetic and he listened whole heartedly to every word. He never once pushed meds or placed value judgements (as others above describe ex.homophobic remarks)and I found him to be very open-minded and non-judgemental. I have had many experiences with many psychologists and Dr.s and I can say honestly that I would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2013

Dr. Sacamano mocked my suicide attempt. He also thought that my feeling guilty after a weird one-night stand was indicative of my easing into a "female role" as "gatekeeper." As well, he prescribed medications at very high doses, without any time to recover between meds. I spent a good month feeling unnecessarily confused, fatigued, and light-headed because of the drugs he put me on.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2012

I have little to go on here, but Dr. Sacamano is one of two psychiatrists who got my diagnosis correct, I now know. Many more missed key details involved in my disorder. He treated me like a person who can think for herself rather than an irrational helpless person. He prescribed me something that might have helped me and saved me a lot of grief, had I taken it as prescribed. However, he assumed that my father leaving my mother when I & my twin were 5 years old meant that I must be a lesbian... So he has some [Freudian? or other] sort of politically-incorrect beliefs biasing his assessments, I suspect.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2012

flag | Submitted May 15, 2012

Dr.Sacamamo is exceptional. He listens, he cares and he is very knowledgeable about anxiety disorders. I will be forever grateful for how helpful he has been. His diagnosis and treatment plan show a deep understanding of the root of the problem. Dr. Sacamano's compassion and expertise create hope for those who suffer from chronic anxiety disorders. We are fortunate to have this doctor in Victoria.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2011