Ratings for Dr. Shari Caplan

Dr Caplan is a wonderful and caring physician. She has been especially helpful to me as I have recently been faced with an unfortunate medical challenge. Both she and her staff have been most helpful in arranging timely follow up and have been thoroughly involved in my recovery. She also does offer a unique perspective on integrative medicine which is an added plus when conventional treatment comes up short as it does at times.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

Dr. Caplan is always eager to help look deeper into what's going on and has laid out an entire plan for me based on my issues. I feel like for the first time someone is listening to me, found all the reasons I feel unwell and crafted a true map to fix it, glad I found her!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

I’ve been a patient of Dr. Caplan for many years, and every time I see her I feel re-assured and encouraged; all my worries go away, as I entirely trust her professional opinion. Dr. Caplan is a professional who never stops upgrading her skills, and she is on top on all updates in research and healthcare studies. I am really impressed how thorough Dr. Caplan is with her examinations, how much attention she pays to all the details that indicate the health condition of the body. I’m so impressed with her holistic approach and focus on prevention. I know that if I need a medical advice or referral, there is no better source than Dr. Caplan. She has a great network of specialists she referrers her patients to. For all these years of being a patient of Dr. Caplan, I felt so fortunate, as I feel that I am very well looked after, I am in a very secure place, as I have Dr. Caplan as my family doctor.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

Started seeing Dr. Caplan around 2002. At the time, I found her somewhat aloof and always late for appointments, but was competent, kind and didn't push for unnecessary tests or medication. Ten years later, things changed. I had just started a new medication that she prescribed and came in with concerns about the side effects (very rapid weight gain). She dismisses these concerns, not believing that they were connected to the drugs. Instead, she told me I should stop "binge eating". She also referred me to a nutritionist (not a registered dietitian), who mostly pushed expensive vitamins. Dr Caplan lost my trust, and after she switched to this new practice, I refuse to have her as my doctor.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

Dr. Shari Caplan has been my family doctor since I was a teen. She's very punctual and I never feel rushed when I'm talking to her. She is an amazing doctor and has helped me through my medical issues. No matter what is happening with my health, I always feel better after seeing her, because I trust her! She's very knowledgeable in her field. I highly recommend Dr. Caplan!

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

I can’t thank Dr. Shari Caplan enough for all she has done for me! I've been a patient of Dr. Caplan’s for more than 18 years. She delivered our son 17 years ago and then helped us conceive and deliver our beautiful daughter (now 11) through a wonderful fertility program in downtown Toronto (all covered by OHIP). Since then, Dr. Caplan has changed the face of her practice. She now incorporates integrative medicine, wellness, anti-aging, medically supervised weight loss, holistic nutrition and fitness into her practice. Her new facilities (Vitality MD on Avenue Road) are beautiful — and yes, most of this comes at a cost — to her and her patients. However, never have I been so appreciative of her practice then when I was involved in a car accident a month before Christmas. After having a CT-Scan at North York General Hospital that cleared me of any internal bleeding or fractures, I was sent home to rest and recover. Left with a concussion and whiplash, I went to see Dr. Caplan. She recommended a series of vitamins, supplements and a neuro-steroid to support my brain health as it recovers. Yes, there was a small cost. But the good news — I’m feeling a whole lot better. I go to physiotherapy twice a week and continue to take her supplements. I can’t thank Dr. Caplan enough for all she has done — and I’m on my way to a full and complete recovery.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

This woman and her clinic are the epitome of taking advantage of patients. She offers anything and everything but knows nothing . Every treatment based on pseudo science is SOLD at this place. Bring a pocketful of money as its all about what services can be sold to you. I had thyroid and hormone issues, went for all kinds of tests, took her treatments and within 3 months I felt much worse. I had to go to another hormone specialist in the city who had to undo the mess Caplan made. She may have taken some extra training but clearly didn't absorb much. I am going to call OHIP as I am not sure about the legality of her charges and her incompetence.I lost close to $1000.00 for nothing.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2016

This woman is a monster who seemingly went to med school by reading Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's book. She diagnosed me with a serious condition that I never had. She put me on medication that made me seriously ill at over the legal dose and then tried to sell me more of her services to combat the symptoms I'd developed due to the medications. When I complained that my health was getting worse not better, she told me I'm bipolar and prescribed me a medication that was contraindicated for the very health condition I was dealing with and that would have been deadly if I had taken. To call her anything more than scum would be generous. I highly, HIGHLY doubt than ANY positive reviews posted here are authentic. It is much more likely that they were posted by her or one of her staff. Oh, and watch out for her staff. They love to try to charge multiple times for the same service.

Submitted November 24, 2016

Dr Caplan delivered both of my babies at Women's College, and has been my doctor ever since. 20 years later I am very happy with her focus on wellness and optimizing the health of her patients. Through blood tests we have singled out various supplements that I need including B12, iron, thyroid, estrogen. When I follow her recommendations, I have no hot flashes, my cycle is consistent, my energy is high, my ability to concentrate is increased and I am overall feeling better as I enter menopause. She is a quality doctor and I never hesitate to recommend friends to her clinic!

flag | Submitted August 21, 2016

It's hard to say whether Dr Caplan is knowledgeable because her main goal seems to be selling - services, supplements, medication, weight loss programs. She also quotes a lot of pseudo science (a lot of what she claims is from sources that aren't peer reviewed, and she sells a line of products that aren't FDA approved. She also has a very harsh way of speaking to patients- she pushed her weight loss program on both me, and a friend of mine (who is a former patient of hers) very aggressively. What was disappointing is that as a well educated medical professional, she gets women to buy into unnecessary nonsense by getting them to self loathing. Making women feel bad about their appearance is like shooting fish in a barrel. She could use her medical expertise to make people feel good and to make positive choices that benefit them. I could add to the complaints about punctuality, rudeness etc but for me, it was really this: she's expensive and I don't pay money to be insulted. I treat people with respect and kindness and I expect the same from everyone.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016