Ratings for Dr. Nicholas Leyland

Horrible experience with this doctor. I had my appointment over a year ago but after reading ANOTHER negative experience with this doctor in my online endometriosis support group tonight I decided to finally share my experience. I had specialized excision surgery in Atlanta in 2014 with a world-renowned specialist. During that surgery I was diagnosed with suspected adenomyosis (in addition to my endometriosis). I had a pre-sacral neurectomy done during that surgery which helps some but not all. Long story short, I was still have midline uterine cramping months after that surgery. Since I couldn't afford to travel to the US again I went to see a local "specialist" about having a hysterectomy. I went to see Dr. Leyland about having a hysterectomy ( I was 27 with no kids) and was skeptical he would help me based on what I had previously heard from other women. He basically bullied me the whole appointment and I guess wasn't expecting me to be as knowledgeable about my conditions (endo/adeno) as I was. He told me he thought my problem was endo that was left behind by my specialist in the US and that that was causing all my pains. I should mention that he has some weird feud with my specialist in the US and he couldn't understand why I would travel down there for surgery when the endo specialists in Canada are just as good. Yeah....not so much. Plus I didn't feel like waiting a year for surgery. Anyways, he refused to do a hysterectomy on me because of my age and the fact that I didn't have any kids. I told him that I didn't have any quality of life, that I don't even think I want kids, and that this was a well thought out decision and that I was willing to give up the chance of carrying my child if I could have a normal life where I wasn't be ridden. He scoffed and would only offer me Lupron saying that if it helped that my problem was endo and/or adeno and that he would want to keep me on it long term. He claims he has patients on it for as long as 10 years and they're doing great. And if the Lupron doesn't help that my problem isn't endo or adeno related. I never filled the prescription. I left feeling very angry but knew I was right. I ended up seeing another local specialist in Toronto and had a hysterectomy in November 2015. Adeno was found, my midline pain is gone, and I'm so happy I went and saw this other doctor. His solution to everything is Lupron, since he gets kickbacks from the company that makes it every time he prescribes it. In addition, he was 1 hr and 45 minutes late to my appointment. He was only in the room with me for about 10 minutes. I basically spoke to his nurse the whole time. His knowledge about endometriosis seemed outdated. He only offered me Lupron and that was it. This seems like his trend based on similar feedback I've heard in my endometriosis support group. I would never recommend this "doctor" who claims to be an endometriosis specialist to anyone.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2016

I have mixed feelings about Dr. Leyland. He is one of the main doctors I send people to because of his skill level. I am thinking because I was passed around from over 40+ doctors in 14 yrs I came across as aggressive and wanting answers and to be fixed. I didn't want anymore medication and he does push that especially Lupron. I wouldn't trust myself with anyone else because he is good at what he does and I had deep infiltrating endo and he removed it all. However when it came back it took me 3 yrs for him to actually listen to me because he believed that it couldn't have come back... When I woke up from surgery I was expecting them to find nothing because of his insistence that it wasn't endo and I was told it was deep again in the rectovaginal and pelvic wall. I get that this disease is complicated and more so for some but I don't like that he ignored my pain after my first surgery. That bothered me a lot and caused me to go into a deep depression for 3 yrs thinking it was all in my head. That there is not okay. There are many women who commit suicide because of this disease/medications/pain and disregarding them is inhumane considering he should know how life altering this disease is. I wish he would push more for the patients voices instead of making comments to the press "you can't die from it" when in reality the mental anguish someone goes through trying to be heard is worse than the pain itself. Annette is an Angel and I wish more people were like her. She is the voice to those suffering who can no longer speak for themselves. She deserves the highest award someone can get. She is amazing. I really hope Dr. Leyland reads these because it is truly important that patients be heard and not pushed drug after drug after drug. Not okay. This disease is a multi-organ disease which only Endo specialist should be treating and we should have faith in those doctors and those doctors should be pushing the Canadian health care system for change. A gyno delivering a baby at 4am should not be doing a multi organ surgery hours later. Dr. Leyland needs to be making this clear to those who don't understand that. It is a complicated disease and not something that a regular obgyn should be doing. Stand up for your patients Dr. Leyland they need you.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

For those who's giving 5 stars for punctually is ridiculous. There is no way he would see you within 30 minutes on arrival. Usually it's over an hour. The staff is OK. Knowledgeable I guess that was based on his certificates. He helps who he wish to help and that's that. He canceled out on me on the day of my surgery.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2016

I was booked to have sugery. However, on the day of the surgery his assistance was in the room and ask to take some photos to rerurn to Dr Nicholas. He did not even come to the room. I was later told he wouldn't be able to help me because of the location of the endometriosis which was in my abdominal walls. This excuse was the lamest thing I've ever heard since he's such a specialist and i did reseaches showing it was more than possible to do so. I was told to follow up with him which i never did. I am now seeking treatment from DR NEZHAT in California. I rather spend my money there!!!.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2016

I had surgery with Dr. Leyland 3.5 years ago. The first appointment, I made it all the way down to the operating room and that's when he told me he was cancelling my surgery but the good news was that I could go and have a bite to eat. My surgery was rescheduled a month later. I was not bowel prepped for either. At the time of surgery, a Mirena was inserted. I don't want to get pregnant. This surgery gave me 3.5 years of pain relief. When my pain returned and I asked my GP to re-refer me, he refused to even see me. He said that further surgery would not help me. I don't believe him. Does he not realize that Endo comes back? For an endo specialist, you'd think he would know this. Now, I'm stuck trying to find a new Doctor to help me because he won't. In fact, after all this, I don't want him anywhere near my uterus if this is his attitude. To whoever said he only takes complicated cases... I disagree. I am a most complicated case and need to find someone who doesn't have a God complex thinking their surgery must be the only surgery that works. Or that the pain can't come back.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

Dr. Leyland is the most kind and compassionate Doctor. I had surgery with him for endometriosis in summer of 2015. I was nervous on the operating table and I had a couple tears. He took the sheet, wiped my tear, and told me "We're going to take good care of you." He also came to see me personally while I was I recovery to make sure I was okay. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

Compassionate, caring doctor who is trying to improve women's health care in Ontario.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2015

He is amazing!!! Without him I wouldn't be a mother, he placed my T.A.C. & I'm eternally grateful.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

I truly, do not have enough good to say about the wonderful Dr. Leyland and his amazing team!! The level of caring and compassion they show their patients is something I had never experienced before, I was amazed by it. I already thought highly of him, his warmth and knowledge you can feel off of him, but he was actually by my side patting my hand before surgery started! He did such a terrific job as well, I only had soreness the same night and the next day. I seriously can't recommend him enough for women's issues, he also identified things other doctors had missed with me. And Annette actually called me the next day as she said she would, to see how I was doing. Seriously, how many people do that? High praise in all aspects from this now pain free patient!

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

I have been searching frantically to find a doctor who would be able to remove my very large fibroid and leave my uterus intact. Dr. Leyland was one of such doctors visited. I was initially seen by a young doctor in training, I believe, who was very respectful and professional. She suggested that my option would be a hysterectomy considering my age and a past removal of similar fibroids years ago. Soon afterwards, I saw Dr. Leyland who has a very pleasant and likeable personality. Alas, he advised that he would not recommend removal of fibroid, and that hysterectomy at this point in time seems a viable option considering that I has past child bearing stage. Alternately, he recommends medication that would induce stoppage of my periods; I stand to be corrected on this. I would not dare say Dr. Leyland was unkind to me, but I felt despondent that the general perception is, once a woman has passed child bearing age, life is finished. This is something I am afraid I will not accept. Hysterectomy holds more ills than good, and I have since identified a next doctor who will remove my fibroids.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015