Ratings for Dr. John Hagens

I was sorry to hear about the experience of the person from this last post - I would say that my experience is quite the opposite. Specifically, I understand that in being a part of the teaching clinic as a professor for the university he doesn't always have the same control over his time and scheduling. However, he never rushes, and once when we showed up due to a scheduling error he stayed late after clinic to see us anyways. The receptionist says he never sends anyone home and works through lunch etc. to accommodate everyone - that was exactly our experience. He even called us with our results just because he knew we were worried. I also know he saves up samples etc. for single mothers like myself, as he understands our circumstances are often less flexible and our resources sometimes more limited. He is kind, thorough, compassionate, and giving of his time as I have known him

flag | Submitted October 21, 2018

very helpful i have end stage cirrhosis and looking for new doctor eric 403 467 1190 thank you

flag | Submitted October 20, 2018

Worse doctor ever, no ethics, my appointment it was at 9 o’clock , I was told by the nurses that he was very busy and he has some emergencies till there it’s was ok, it’s suppose to be he will look after me at 1:50, at 2:30 a nurse came to me saying that because he was sooooo busy he will going to eat And return to talk to me. He came back at 3:20 saying that I wasn’t in his schedule., but I was ready with IV, I was welcome in admission by nurses, in the hospital after 17 hours HE SAID THAT I WASNT IN HIS SCHEDULE. ( he almost said it was fault of his assistant ) but he didn’t thought twice To go for a lunch and come back after digestion to let me know that he have no team to help him to do his job IRRESPONSABLE, CARELESS, sad to have that kind of Dr. In the system..... he make me feel like I wasn’t important !!!!! He told me that one of my options it was RESCHEDULE. I drove 2 hours to get on time to my appointment and waste an intire day of job !!!!!! And 17 hour withought food. Plus parking ... I’m a single parent and MONEY believe me money it’s not something. That I can throw in the garbage !

flag | Submitted May 14, 2018

I saw the previous post about having to see residents before you see Dr Hagens so I thought I would give a rating from my perspective. I worked with Dr Hagens quite frequently as a resident for 2 years. He is one of the best teachers and mentors I have ever had. He is extremely knowledgeable and yet humble, and his mentoring made all the difference in my training as a physician. Dr Hagens always takes the time to discuss patients and their cases with his learners and does everything in his power to make sure that the future generation of doctors is well prepared. He always gave useful feedback and was always printing handouts, textbook articles, etc. for us to make sure we were trained properly. Dr Hagens, you are a rock star. Please continue to take medical students and residents like me so we can learn from the best.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

I must admit that I liked it better when I didn't always have to see residents, but that is his new reality and ours. I like the residents, and I know he makes extra efforts to see us anyways. I was impressed when he called the other day about some tests, and it was clear he was 100% aware of everything from my last visit with his senior resident. He's a great family and community guy and lives what he cares about. I agree with him being thorough , and he's open to listen and meet you 1/2 way about anything - but not a pushover. I hope he stays but it sounds like he may be moving to something else? - not sure but I'll follow if I can

flag | Submitted September 9, 2017

Thorough, kind, recent winner of the `Outstanding Family Physician of the Year' (see August-2017 Okotoks Western Wheel article as well) for good reason. A truly holistic approach - never rushes - calls you at home if needed - compassionate - patient - attends to all needs in your visit, even those you weren't aware of that were needs for you.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

He is pretty down to earth, and never talks down to you. He always brings in books and pictures so that you understand what he's talking about and you have `ownership of your own health'. He never pushes drugs, and when he does he makes sure you know all about them. The only problem is that i don't get to see him as much as I used to with his medical students, although he called me the other day about something & I knew he followed my visit pretty thoroughly even though the resident saw me (who was also fantastic!).

flag | Submitted August 10, 2015

Now that he is a professor at the medical school, people are wishing they would have stayed with him especially given the present options in High River - although he'll still take you, he's just that kind of man. Our family has never received more thorough, comprehensive, compassionate care from another doctor - the University Medical Students don't realize how great a role model he is for them

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

Gentleman with excellent bedside manner & exceedingly comprehensive approach to holistic health care. I am blessed to have him in my family's life.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

I had to see Dr. Hagens because my own Dr. was not available to me anymore, and was recommended to me by people in the town office. What a great, personal physician! He is super caring and isn't afraid to go that extra mile for you. In fact, he diagnosed a medical diagnosis that was missed by my previous doctor, which confirms the thoroughness I keep hearing from others. He's no pushover either, and will involve you in understanding what your problem is before agreeing to pills that might not be necessary.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2014