Ratings for Dr. Charles Downey

Dr. Downey is a great doctor! I first came to him in 2009 at about 33 weeks pregnant because my old doctor would not let me do a VBAC but I really wanted one, so I switched. He was patient and let my body go into labor on my own. I had a slow labor but he was patient and didn't rush me to have a csection if I didn't need it. Everything turned out beautifully and the VBAC was successful. For my third child, I really wish he would have delivered him but we had moved so I found a new doctor. I really think things would have gone different if I had him as my doctor. Needless to say I had a csection with my third. Unexpectedly, I got pregnant a fourth time and knew that I would go back to Dr. Downey. Sure enough he let me try for another VBAC and I was successful and had a great recovery, thanks to him!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2016

He used to be great but now days doesn't seem to care about his patients or their well-being. I'd switch doctors, if possible. Not the same guy anymore.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

I was in and out in less than 30mins at each prenatal visit. He supported me during my journey to have a VBA2C. Never doubted me or my ability, I had a successful vbac and it was all thanks to him.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

His staff is bad mannerd & completely unprofessional they forgets simple things like collecting co-pay and send me a bill after more than a year .He had no idea about anything that was going on. .He is not informative about tests and ex-rays results when you ask him, he has no idea what your talking about. He doesn't update himself on your chart prior to seeing a pateint.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

Although Dr. Downey seems to be knowledgable, his staff seems completely clueless. His office hours are 8-5 however no one will answer the phone until 9:30. Lab results are not posted to their portal nor are you called with the results. Dr. Downey seems to rely on his staff quite a bit you would think he would assure they were attentive and knowledgeable. Appointment times seem to run, on average, about 45 minutes past your actual appointment. Dr. Downey himself does spend time with any questions you may have but doesn't seem to update himself on your chart prior to seeing you. Not sure how I would feel about recommending his office.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2014

Dr. Downey performed my surgery and did an excellent job. Very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions before the procedure. I didn't feel like I was being rushed at my appointments and he took the time to explain everything to me.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2013

I switched to Dr.Downey for the birth of my third child. He was highly recommended for VBAC. I am due in a week and has been very supportive and knowledgeable. I have only had to wait once at an appointment while he was delivering a baby, and even then it was only a 30 minute wait. My appointments are never rushed, and he takes time to answer all my questions. The nurses and nurse practitioner are great also. The only issue I have are the front office staff and those that answer phone calls can sometimes come off as rude.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2013

He has delivers both my girls, I had late in life kids. The second was a difficult pregnancy, he and the nurse practitioner were able to manage several problems, professionally and always treated it as a partnership. He is very laid Back but that worked for me. I just love his practice. No he isn't always punctual but, he does deliver from several hospitals, and if you explain to the staff your need to have things timely I'm sure they would accommodate, be was late with me but I didn't really care, because I knew that could happen. As pregnant women we get annoyed easily so take the reviews with a grain of salt.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2013

Amazing doctor. He is definitely laid back, but for a reason. His approach is more holistic and not the usual cattle treatment offered by modern birth centers and big hospital corporations. He is very pro natural delivery and lets the body take its own course before any medical intervention is done to get the baby out. He definitely keeps an eye on the labor in case emergencies happen. We tried for vbac and he waited till the very end. At the end , however the baby was getting stressed out too much and even then we asked the doctor to perform surgery. He did agree on the decision and suggested he would recommend that very muchas it was quiet risky in waiting more .. Sometimes i feel why other doctors are not so friendly and informative as Charles. His bedside manner is also great , original and very natural . Other doctors are too indifferent and think they are doing a great service especially if you ask too many questions.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2012

His staff is terribly rude & completely unprofessional. They insist you check in to your appointment 15 minutes in advance, but schedule apppoints when Doctor is not even schedule to be the office. I have gone here twice now for my yearlys & had to wait over an hour each visit. The staff 'forgot' to collect my co-pay the first visit & sent a bill with an overdue amount required. Do not expect the staff to ever answer the phone or return messages. On my second visit Dr. Downey & his staff 'forgot' and said they did not know how to submit my prescription through home delivery, even though they had suggested it the year before. It took 2 weeks to have my Rx submitted, then I have to wait for delivery. I will not be going back.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2012

Dr. Charles Downey's Credentials

• Texas Tech University Health Science Center School Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)

Top Hospitals in Richardson, TX