Ratings for Dr. Douglas Cleminson

In addition to the qualities rated above, Dr. Cleminson is also forthright, thorough, kind and has a wry sense of humor which was much appreciated. Without doubt, he would be my doctor of choice, if I required surgery in the future.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Amazing doctor, took the time to explain everything to me, follow up appointments were easy to book..... would see him again

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

In response to the comments made on March 13, 2017, I felt compelled to "clear the air" regarding MY review of December 12, 2016. I would assume the person having "knowledge" of this situation could only have been either Dr. Cleminson or his secretary, because other than myself & my family, they were the only other people that knew of this situation. It was referenced that I was demanding, unreasonable & not concerned about medical resources. Having been a Registered Nurse for over 31 years, I am well aware of demanding, unreasonable patients & families, and the waste of medical resources, by patients as well as medical personnel. However, as I stated in my review, and how I have practiced in my career, it is within the patients' rights to refuse treatment or change their own plan of care, at any time, and this should be respected by their medical team! Since writing my review last December, my mom has had more tests done, and it has been determined that their is NO mass in her bowel. If my mom had gone through with the surgery by Dr. Cleminson, she would have had a fairly extensive abdominal surgery, which, if she had survived, would have subjected her to a potentially lengthy & painful recovery, for no reason. This surgery would have resulted in Dr. Cleminson charging OHIP for this surgery, the anaesthetist charging OHIP for his/her part in the surgery, the surgeon's assistant charging OHIP, the charge to OHIP for my mom's hospital stay which would include the bed, nurses' salaries, equipment used, dressings, medications and many other items and personnel that would have been involved. Now, was it REALLY our family that would have been wasting the medical resources? Sorry, I don't buy it.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful Dr,such as Dr.Cleminson in the Belleville Area. I was very lucky the night I went to emerg.. with severe adobomal pain. turns out I needed major bowel surgery, I had a tough time but he was there assureing my family and me 'he was going to take care of me" and he did. I tell all my friends that if they ever need Surgery make sure to ask for Dr Cleminson. he is the best!!.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

You can always believe the good reviews but can't always believe the bad as you don't where /who they are coming from. This is in reference to the comment by the submitted review Dec . 12, 2016. I have knowledge of that situation and the person writing the review obviously unreasonable, demanding, and not concerned about medical resources. That's the thanks the doctor, staff and hospital get after going above and beyond to accomoodate this family. With millions of dollars in budget cuts we cannot waste medical resources and should not be taken advantage of "because it's their right!" Some people just don't care and it's all about them such as this case. These review is one to be ignored.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

I've seen Dr. Cleminson several times. I think he is a wonderful doctor. He listens to what you have to say..He does not beat around the bush and tells it like it is. What needs to happen, what is expected of you..what will happen, etc. He has always been very nice and helpful in answering all questions and concerns. His secretary, Brenda is the same. If I have a concern I've always been able to call and get answers. When I have appointment he comes to the waiting room and takes me back to his office. Very punctual. You can't go to a doctors office and always get in at the time of your appointment. Life happens. Someone else might need to talk to him longer and have more concerns that need to be rectified. Dr. Cleminson takes the time to explain the procedure and allows you to ask questions, which he answers. I've never had any problems with him or the staff. Surgery has always went well and outcome good. This is a doctor that seems to care about his patients. I would refer anyone to him. He is a wonderful doctor.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

My mum is 88 yrs old & has a mass in her bowel. A few weeks back the decision was made to remove this mass, by having a bowel resection, to lessen any future symptoms. It was going to be a risky surgery due to my mum's age & her health. Initially, this Dr. was very kind to my mum, and a few accommodations were made for her, in regards to surgery time, tests dates, etc., by the doctor and his secretary, which we as a family, were grateful for. The surgery was booked for tomorrow, Dec. 13th. We were told that following my mum's discharge from hospital, she would need respite/long term care as she would be unable to go home. However, we were unable to find respite care for her that was close to any family members, and, because of this, and the fact that my parents both have "Do Not Resuscitate" orders, my mum & dad changed their minds and did not want to go through with the surgery. My sister called this doctor's office this morning to tell them that my mum no longer wanted to have surgery (within her rights as a patient to refuse treatment at ANYTIME), and my sister was rudely spoken to (heard by my sister's husband on speaker phone) by the office secretary AND Dr. Cleminson, saying that our behavior as a family was "inappropriate", to cancel surgery a day before it was scheduled, and that my mum was no longer welcome as a patient of theirs in the future! My sister was obviously upset, as we were only trying to follow my mum's wishes for her care. I proceeded to call the office a short time later, and was given the same treatment over the phone, being accused of our family's "inappropriate behavior", and ending the call with Dr. Cleminson himself, telling me not to call again, and hanging up on me. I am a Registered Nurse with 31+ yrs. of experience, and I am appalled at the unprofessional treatment we received from this doctor & his secretary. It became clear to me that they were more concerned about how much trouble this would cause with the OR bookings, and OHIP billing, than my mum's wishes for her care. I can appreciate that it may be inconvenient for them to have to cancel this surgery, BUT, isn't the patients' wishes for their care supposed to be the top priority? Where is the compassion for my family & my mum? Again, I say, as I said to this doctor & his secretary several times, it is within the patients' rights to refuse treatment at ANY time, and for ANY reason! This experience was just awful, and for any health care professional to behave in this manner is totally unacceptable!!

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

He did an excellent job on fixing my lingual hernia. He could take more time to explain things before the actual surgery is my only criticism

flag | Submitted November 17, 2015

Did a great job on both my wrists. For those people that don't like his bedside manner - who cares? I went to get a medical condition fixed, not to make a new friend. He did a great job and that is what counts

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

A wonderful doctor. He was very kind and respectful to my mother and our family. He answered all our questions and was never in a hurry. He made my mum feel like she mattered and he cared. I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2012