Ratings for Dr. Mark Freedman

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. Dr Freedman misdiagnosed my sister with MS years ago. He never took the time to perform the proper diagnostic test (a spinal tap) to confirm her diagnosis and she was ultimately given Interferon, a very strong medical treatment to treat her MS. She took this medication unnecessarily for over a 12 years. This medication not only destroyed her immune system, gave her multiple 'seizures' a day, but it impacted her ability to function. Even the pharmacist appeared extremely weary of the medication being preascribed due to its detrimental side effects. Needless to say this medication eventually impacted her ability to walk, and later her ability to talk by causing lesions on her brain from the toxic nature of the medication . This doctor controlled her by fear tactics which made her continue to take the medication despite the fact that she was getting much much worse . She was very young and impressionable (under 18 when first diagnosed) and under the impression that all doctors have your best interest at heart. When she was in intensive care for the last time another doctor that examined her was so disheartened by her story he vowed to help her but was later reprimanded for talking negatively of the care of another doctor. Dr Freedman was very rude, arrogant in his dealings with me and my family and was only interested in his own personal agenda. Not only does he misdiagnose patients with MS, he will attempt to get you to use experimental drugs for his own personal gain. Please, please, please trust your intuition when dealing with this man. If something does not feel right, or if your story seems remotely similar to my sister's please get another doctor, get a second opinion etc. This can change your life. By the time Dr Freedman is finished with you you will be unable to function and he will coerce you to continue to follow his recommendations despite a lack of evidence of any kind of improvement. We buried my sister in 2012 at the hands of this doctor. It's taken me a long time to write this review but PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. I'M HOPING THIS POST WILL SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE AND NO ONE ELSE WILL DIE BY THE HANDS OF THIS DOCTOR AGAIN.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2019

Egotistical. Spent my appointment looking at another persons file in the computer. Unhelpful. Simply wanted me to try drugs so he would get kickback. He is rude and missing people skills to the extreme. Should be in research not a practitioner.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2019

An excellent doctor, one of the very best on the subject of MS. I found him generous with his time, personable and caring. Described to me by another doctor as a neurological guru. After my experience with him, I can only agree. Ottawa is fortunate in having him.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2019

Great neurologist, super intelligent and great knowledge of his work. Very helpful with deciding what medication to go on and yes he might be blunt but i find it refreshing. I prefer his honesty over pity. I see comments about him allowing his fellows to take over for certain patients and i honestly don't mind. They have to learn somewhere. Not to mention that even his fellows are super kind and also honest. I really appreciate Dr. Freedman's metaphors and analogies to help me understand my disease in a simpler way. I was with a different specialist and after one meeting with him i quickly asked to change. Cocky? yes but nonetheless professional and kind

flag | Submitted August 14, 2019

Been a patient of Dr. Freedman's for over 20 years and in my opinion he is a caring doctor who will tell you exactly what he thinks, answer questions thoroughly and is willing to have a conversation about treatment options as long as they do not stray out of his area of expertise - which is understandable. I trust his opinion and value his advice above that of many neurologists I have seen.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2019

I have been a patient with Dr Freedman for the last 11 years. He is to the point no sugar coating so I can see where some may have been offended by this. I find it refreshing I can ask him anything and he answers honestly. He works quickly, no fear of having to wait to be referred to another specialist if needed. If you are looking for a knowledgeable Neurologist that specializes in M.S. that will get what you need quickly and is straight to the point I recommend him.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

Awful, uncaring, narcissist. Brilliant mind and knows his stuff but no social skills whatsoever.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2018

Shocked by the negative comments. I found him to be very professional and leave feeling good about how I will be going forward. I've seen him for 8 years, since I was diagnosed with MS. I chose to have the expert versus someone who has excellent bedside manner. Turns out I get both. He is very nice, patient, takes time to chat. He is a medical doctor so is all about the medicine. I get what I need and leave feeling hopeful about my future. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. He tells it to you straight, is world renowned and knows his stuff. His staff is very helpful and answers any questions. Over 8 years, I would say his been pretty punctual. Like any physician, you may have to wait if something unexpected arrives, but for the most part I haven't waited at all.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2018

Dr. Freedman might be very knowledgeable in the research for MS. He should not be treating individual patients. He should stick to lab, writing medical papers and travelling to conventions be give talks. He has zero bed side manner. I was diagnosed by him 14 years ago. It is quite normal to shoe up for an appointment with him only to see one of his junior associates and a different one each time. Communication and record keeping is a real problem. These notes from the associates are commonly missing crucial information. I did have the honour (not) to have him show up this year for an appointment. He thought it was funny that he had not seem me himself for three years. Never read my file or looked at my MRI result. Since I had last seen him I have developed two serious auto immune diseases connected to my weak system and seeing two different specialists for them. He was actually excited to hear about my latest diagnosis and announced to me that this disease had a high risk for cancer. Thanks Dr. I really needed to be reminded. I have RRIM and one of the areas being affected is my cognitive abilities. He insisted I get a test done by a psychiatrist at a cost of $1,400, OHIP does not cover this nor insurance, I cannot pay that. I lost my job due to the MS and live on disability income . He could not care less. My GP arranged to conduct an medically approved cognitive test for me which I failed. Dr. Freedman was pissed off he would not look at the report, said it was garbage, waste of my GP 's time the test was a joke. He is the MS Dr. not my GP. Well if it was not for the help of others Dr's I would not have had my insurance approved. He or his office sent the insurer old information and an old MRI. I was denied. My GP stepped up to the plate confronted him and got the files from him along with the other conditions and I was finally approved. He does not know me or what my day to day life is like coping wirh MS. He may be well educated but I wish I had a different Dr. Every time I see him I a wreck and my husband has to keep me from wringing his neck during appointments. Lost my cool when he would not listen to me. Told me outright that the MS would not kill me, some other disease would get me first. Rude, no consideration for people. I could go on but I am getting would up writing this.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2018

He is a very rude person, I would not recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018