Ratings for Dr. Benoit De Varrennes

Very caring, very kind, very responsible, amazing skills.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

In 2010, I was diagnosed with a congenital aortic valve defect, severe aortic stenosis, at the age of 61. Dr. De Varennes took my case and just in time! He replaced my defective aortic valve with a biological valve with excellent results, although prior complications related to heart swelling, caused by the stenosis, forced the hospital to keep me for 45 days! I made an excellent recovery over a one-year period. In early 2016, due to this chronic swelling, I developed kidney and liver problems, due to the lack of blood fed to these organs. My tricuspid valve had to be replaced, since the prognosis was both kidney and liver failure. Dr. De Varennes was again my surgeon and replaced my defective tricuspid valve with a biological valve. My kidneys and liver have drastically improved because of this surgury. I thank Dr. De Varennes every day for his superb surgical skills and for twice saving my life! Benoit Doiron, P. Chem. Member, Ordre des chimistes du Québec

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

He literally killed my father.. with his stupid idea of putting in a Metallic aortic valve instead of a biological one. After speaking to multiple experts, I came to the c onclusion that this is pretty much what killed my dad. His body couldnt take it (at almost 70 years old and it was his second operation.) They let him go the DAY AFTER his open-heart operation like wtff is wrong with these people. I hope it changed at Mcgill hospital because I dont know how many ppl that guy literally killed like this. ** This wasn't at McGill; it was @ Royal Victoria (they moved from Royal vic to mcgill). OHH and the equipment didnt even work properly; they had to go through 6 heart monitors to find a single one that worked... like really?! Glad I found this page.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2017

Dr De Varennes rid me of an ascendant aortic aneurysm and also replaced my aortic valve (bicuspid) in april 2014. I was 30 years old at the time. From the moment I met him, i knew my heart was in the hands of an amazing man. I was aware of his excellent reputation, but he exceeded all of my expectations. He is the nicest person not only to his patients, but also to all the staff members. It's not surprising that everybody has the upmost respect for him. Since my surgery, I have made a complete recovery continuing to be very active in sports, taking car of my children and busy working as a nurse. None of that would be possible without him. I feel so lucky to have been his patient, and I will be forever grateful for the gift of life he has given me... I have no words to explain how I feel honestly. He is without a doubt the best cardio-thoracic surgeon in Montreal, probably even in the whole country! Merci milles fois, Dr De Varennes!

flag | Submitted February 14, 2017

November 2nd, 2016. The hardest day of my life and also the most blessed. Dr. De Varrennes operated on my husband who had an aortic valve replacement, a mitral valve and a tricuspid valve repair, plus a maze procedure because my husband had had atrial fibrillation for fifteen years. I found Dr. De Varrennes right here and it was because of other people's very positive reviews that we sought him out. Luckily, we were able to see him and he agreed to operate on my husband who was in very dire straights. In spite of all the procedures that Dr. De Varennes had to do to repair my husband's heart and the terrible condition it was in, my husband was only in the hospital for ten days in all, has been home since November 12th and is already walking long distances and going up and down stairs. The recovery has been nothing short of miraculous, but it is due to Dr. De Varrennes mastery and his incredible talent as a surgeon. Not only that, but Dr. De Varrennes is one of the most caring people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The ICU team were also amazing at the Royal Victoria Hospital at the Glen site, as was Dr. De Varrennes team on the seventh floor cardiac recovery unit. All this to say that I would put my life in Dr. De Varrennes hands in a heart beat, my eyes closed. He is the very best of surgeons and kindest of people. If you or anyone you love ever needs valve surgery, do not hesitate for a moment to turn to Dr. De Varrennes. I cannot repeat it often enough how lucky we were to be in his care. He is genuine, conscientious, honest, kind and gifted. He came by to see my husband every day without fail, and in the first day or two after the surgery, morning and afternoon. I echo the sentiment. An amazing doctor and a remarkable man. Blessings to you, Dr. De Varrennes.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2016

Oct 1, 2014. A date that I will always remember for the rest of my life. It all started on Sept 29 2014. I was scheduled to have a mitral valve repair surgery. Dr De Varennes performed the surgery. Everything went as planned and my mitral valve was repaired exactly as Dr De Varennes had said. Unfortunately 48 hours later I was fighting for my life with multiple cardiac arrests and a severe heart attack. Once again the ICU team and Dr Devarennes fought to bring me back to life. From what I was told I was clinically dead for 30 minutes and fast approaching the point of no return. It is at that point that Dr De Varennes did that even seasoned ICU staff had never seen. In the ICU he proceeded to open me up and perform cardiac massage on my heart. Once resuscitated I was sent to the operating room where Dr De Varennes performed a by pass surgery. I remained in an induced coma for 2 weeks and slowly returned to normal. Today 15 months later I am almost completely back to normal. Dr Devarennes was absolutely remarkable and very concerned about my well being. Unfortunately I fell in the 2% risk of complications that caused my arrests, but Dr Devarennes managed to pull me through and basically saved me from certain death. He is a remarkable man and an amazing Dr.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2016

Dec 27, 2008 : my wife Jo-Anne brings me to Verdun Hospital by ambulance. I spent 11 days in there, traveling back and forth to l'Hôtel-Dieu where they finally found I had an «endocardite» and needed a replacement of a hearth valve (following a canal treatment at a dental surgeon where they never made me take antibiotic pill before that surgery !). Thanks to Dr Marc-André Lavoie (a friend of mine and head of department at Institut de cardiologie de Montréal), I was referred to Dr BENOIT DE VARENNES at Royal Victoria Hospital on Jan 8, 2009. Same night, around 8:00 PM, he comes and visit me : he decided to operate me the next day, at 3:00 PM. I had some 35 % chance of dying at 57, due to this problem. But I never considered that 35 % chance, because in the presence of Dr de Varennes, you IMMEDIATELY feel safe, secured and hopeful. I left Royal Victoria on Jan 20, 2009, ike a new guy ! My wife, our 2 daughters (Geneviève 14 and Éloïse 11 at that time, and so much taken care of by Dr de Varennes during that period) and I thank Benoit de Varennes (in 2009, and also since that times every time we see him or his secretary Lyne) for that incredible experience that we lived with him : he is so human, so professional, so careful to the whole family anxiety and expectations, etc. Dr Benoit de Varennes (and also Dr Michel Bojanowski - neurosurgeon at CHUM Notre-Dame) is an exceptional doctor who deserves the best of our recognition and thanks for my operation in January 2009. Marc Touchette BAA-MBA

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

Dr De Varennes a sauvé la vie de mon mari. Il avait une sténose de la valve aortique avancée et il ne lui restait plus que quelques mois de vie. Il n'a que 58 ans. Heureusement, lorsque nous avons rencontré Dr De Varennes, nous avons reçu des soins attentionnés et compétents. Il a opéré mon mari dans de très brefs délais. Il nous a complètement renseigné sur les types de valves disponibles, ce qui nous a permis de faire le bon choix. Tous les jours qu'ont duré l'hospitalisation, il est venu le voir. Cet homme calme et serein respire la compétence à tous les points de vue. Merci d'avoir rallongé notre espérance de vie commune. Je tiens aussi à vous parler de cet hôpital, le CUSM. Malgré le fait qu'il est tout neuf et qu'il manque encore quelques services complémentaires (tel un Tim Horton au S-1), la qualité des soins est, sans contre dit, impeccable. Les infirmier(ère)s nous ont traité aux petits soins. Il y a seulement des chambres privées au CUSM, ce qui élimine bien des chances de contagion. Les chambres ont chacune un sofa pour accomoder un aidant nature et une salle de bain privée avec douche. On se croirait à l'hôtel.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2015

Dr de varennes is a excellent dr, very human and have a lot compassion for his patients, he is the best, and would like to say thank you to my Spanish girl who's every morning give me a nice and beautiful smile , you make the different in patients life, thanks you so much.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

the best love it very nice appears willingness is great.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015