Ratings for Dr. Arya N. Shamie

My husband suffered a very severe fracture of his spine in September of 2015. After enduring very painful days with no relief from Emergency room visits and other treatments to no avail. For a total of 5 weeks he was unable to sit or walk without severe pain. I cannot say enough about the UCLA medical staff who were nothing but professional, kind and compassionate to the needs of my husband. We were given very quick appointments and had very minor wait times at those appointments. Dr. Shamie had excellent bed side manners and answered all of our questions thoroughly. After much research and many consultations with some of the best surgeons on the west coast we opted to have Dr. Arya Nick Shamie perform his surgery. Once it was decided that surgery was necessary, they did all they could to ensure that it was done as quickly as possible since he was in so much pain. The surgery went very well and thanks to Dr. Shamie’s excellent skill my husband was walking the very next day. He gave my husband his life back. We highly recommend this Super Doctor. Thank you Dr. Shamie.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2015

Punctuality - In three visits, I waited for this doctor a total of 6 hrs. and 15 mins. No, that is no mistake. The second time I was in back room for 1 1/2 hours of that time; the third visit I waited 1 hr. 15 mins. in the room where you are put when the doctor is supposedty "ready" to see you. HELPFULNESS -Answered only a question I asked ; offers absolutely no information. On some questions I asked - one day it was one answer; on another visit, something completely different from the first time. "KNOWLEDGE" - How could one possibly know? He never talks!!He certainly looks like he walks on water on paper but, in reality, leaves much to be desired. I would suspect he has never heard of what is called "bedside manner"! And I truly don't know if I can muster the courage to find out! After 4 visits , I am as confused and uninformed as I was when when I first went to see Dr. Shamie. Reviews I've read are not encouraging; it would be good to hear from someone who has something positive to say!

flag | Submitted September 25, 2014

He is the best surgeon I saw in LA. I was diagnosed and got rid of my pain with a small surgery. I recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2013

The doctor is a very demeaning and dishonest man. He is arrogant to the point of abusiveness. There are many good doctors in Los Angeles. I would not recommend seeing him.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2013

Dr. Nick Shamie looks good on paper, and he knows a lot about orthopedic surgery. After all, he’s an L.A. media celebrity of sorts. The problem? He cares more about his career than about his suffering patients. I saw him twice, first in May 2010 and again in October 2011. He operated on my lower back in 2010, but it did nothing to relieve my pain. (I had a successful lower-back operation two months later at Cedars-Sinai.) Because of my HMO insurance restrictions, I visited Dr. Shamie again in October 2011, this time for neck pain. I vividly described all I’ve been doing for it: exercise, ice packs, TENS unit treatments, medications, rest, posture, and six weeks of physical therapy (the PT didn’t work, however). But I don’t have shooting pain down either of my arms, and I don’t have any arm- or hand-movement problems, so the best Dr. Shamie could do for me was suggest physical therapy—which I told him had NOT worked. He didn’t seem to care.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2011

He was highly referred by his colleague that he was top in doing minimally invasive S.I fusions. I arrived hopeful with c.t scan in hand, finally I'll be diagnosed and treated. He was congenial but a bit more interested in my girlfriend then me. He atemately said no S.I fusion surgery for me. Did not explain why or what alternative options I might have, just a don't do it. I walked out as uninformed as before. He hardly looked at my data and no alternative was discussed. Total waste of time and money in the long string of referrals that lead to dead ends . Later i tried to contact by email for a few questions. Forget it! Had to write to 3 secretaries before one passed on message. The answer was as uninformative as the consultation. Waste of time and money, all of it.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2011

Very knowledgable. Excellent bed side manners.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2008

Dr. Arya N. Shamie's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1994)