Ratings for Dr. Stephen L. Helgemo

After reading this found it very interesting after seeing him for a sprained wrist, felt rushed told me a condition I had not a big problem gave me a cortisone shot a new splint replacing the one given to me from the ER. Could care less about the discharge paper that is to be given to the doctor you follow up with. Fixed me up sent me on my way and stated I wouldn't be seeing you again..had no interest in any of my questions..so I went home and googled the condition I had. Will I go back not sure this was a rush sitition picked him fron a list given to me by the ER..Will talk to my primary if I need every to see a hand specialist. Bed side manor none but that doesn't mean much, you can get a doctor with the best bedside and be terrible..

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

Would definitely NOT recommend Helgemo for Needle Aponeurotomy treatment of Dupytren's Contracture. He lacks the skill and patience for this very delicate procedure which is done by feel. Was careless and rushed during my procedure, and results were poor. Finger is now hypersensitive/numb with little improvement in straightening it. He was also rather arrogant and dismissive of past history (ignored it).

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Great doctor. Prompt and to the point. Very pleased with his bedside manner. Went through all the option in a clear and concise way. Would go to again, hopefully i wont have to.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2013

Let's just say I don't know if I would go back. Staff seemed to know what they were doing.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2012

Very rude and arrogant. I have never been treated by a doctor that had this attitude. Pulled splint off my finger that I had worn faithfully gor mallet finger gor 6 weeks and told me he didn't know why it was feeling more painful and to go home and make my own splint. Unbelieveable!!!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2012

Peraps not bad overall outcome but generally disappointed. After getting charged almost $300 for a test that comes out negative I am told that it is not a terribly useful test and but I am still a candidate for surgery.This doctor would never admit to making an error if he did. His stall will always back him and visa versa. Don't expect to see him for post op visits even if there is a problem. Of couse just ask him there is no problem his "well qualified staff can not handle"

flag | Submitted November 5, 2010

Dr. Helgemo and his staff were great! I went to see him after several people recommended their office for treatment of trigger finger on my right hand (I am right handed and my fingers would get stuck and lock up on me). He explained the condition well and treated it the next week in his office. It was convenient and quick and I am happy with the results.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2010

He was my wife's surgeon. She had surgery on her thumb. After the surgery, she went to his office (in Ft Myers at that time) and had the initial bandages removed. After the checkup, the nurse in his office wrapped and cast it so tight that when they took the cast and bandages off weeks later, her thumb wouldn't move at all. He said the swelling would go down, not to worry etc. When she still couldn't move it after that, he said therapy would fix it. She had therapy for it time and time again and after many years (10+) she has only regained about 20% of her initial movement, and that's being generous. She can't bend it at all; she can only make it move from where the joint is at the palm. We won't ever go back to him and his staff. Personally we wonder if this happened to other patients. We were stupid because we should have sought legal advice but we hoped his "therapy will fix it" would actually work. Too late for us but we hope this helps people in the future decide more wisely.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2009

Dr. Stephen L. Helgemo's Credentials

• Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)

MSP/BC Med