Ratings for Dr. Sean T. Canale

On November 6, 2017 after 6 months of breastfeeding my son, I visited my OBGYN due to a painful huge pimple-like bump on my right chest. Upon diagnosing the bump as an abscess I was sent downstairs to Dr. Sean Canale’s office as he was able to see me immediately and the abscess needed to be drained ASAP as it was extremely painful and at this point the whole upper right side of my body was in pain. The staff greeted me very warmly and was very helpful. I filled out the regular medical intake forms and was led to the examination room. Dr. Canale entered, performed an ultrasound on my breast, confirmed that I did indeed have an abscess, drained it a bit and prescribed an antibiotic. He told me that if the abscess continued to drain I should come back. Days later the abscess was still draining and I didn’t feel too much better. I returned on November 13th to see Dr. Canale. He confirmed that her would have to cut out the cyst(s). I laid back her numbed the area and proceeded to perform some type of procedure which I could not see. He didn’t explain what he was doing. When I got up, there was some gauze sticking out of my chest. Dr. Canale told me to take the glaze out the following day, washed his hands and started to turn to leave the room when my sister (who followed me) asked about after care and how my chest would look once headed. Dr. Canale said “you can change the guard from time to time if you want to”. He seemed to be in a hurry to leave the room. He said that we can deal with the look of it later. He left and that was it. No real after care instructions, no explanation of what had been done, NOTHING. I sat on the table on cried because I was overwhelmed and had no idea what had just happened. The nurse was super nice and comforting and luckily my sister was there. The following day my sister helped me to remove the guard revealing a whole in my chest which was the size of a quarter and a half. I was upset and confused as to how I was supposed to take date of such a wound with absolutely no direction from the surgeon who performed the procedure. A few days later, I went to see my dermatologist for an unrelated matter and showed her the wound she was shocked and appalled that a surgeon would leave such an open wound on someone’s chest without any direction or instruction on how to care for it as I was now at risk of getting another infection. She was so nice and helpful and explained to me how to care for the wound. She instructed me to by duoderm which could be used without having to open up the site daily. The duoderm helped with the actual appearance of the wound once healed as but for the duoderm I would have been left with an unnecessary dent in my chest. I am completely dissatisfied with the treatment I received from Dr. Canale. I feel that because my situation was not life threatening, I was not treated with care. I have never been to any sort of health care professional who does not give aftercare instructions. Dr. Canale has perhaps the worst bedside manner of any doctor I have even visited. I would never go back to him and in fact booked my follow up appointment with a completely different surgeon at a different practice. I would never recommend Dr. Canale.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2018

My wife was referred to Dr. Canale following an abnormal mammagram which unfortunately was breast cancer. We are so thankful for Dr. Canale and the care that he provided. From the very beginning he answered our questions directly and very clearly spelled out our options and his recommendations. He always took the time necessary to ensure that we were well informed and understood everything that he was saying. My wife's plastic surgeon has since told us that Dr. Canale is the most skilled breast surgeon in Raleigh.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2013

Referred to Dr. Canale for a breast biopsy. From the first visit, he looked me in the eye and answered my questions directly. He thoroughly explained the procedure and why it was recommended. Throughout my appointment and especially during the procedure, he was calm and reassuring. He explained what to expect in terms of recovery and when I would hear from him. I was very surprised that he planned to call me directly with the results. While waiting for results, I had a question and he returned my call in the evening with the answer. The tech who assisted with the procedure did everything possible to make sure I was comfortable. Based on all of the above, much of my and fear and stress was alleviated. I did not need any further treatment, but if I did, I would have been confident under his care. There truly is nothing that I could list as a negative from my experience and I would highly recommend Dr. Canale to anyone who needs a similar procedure.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2013

I discovered a lump in breast and saw Dr. S. Canale. Having had 1 breast removed several years ago, I told him to take "it" off. Next day surgery,stayed overnight and came home. I highly recommend Dr. Canale.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2012

Very good doctor, takes his time, answers questions and listens to any concerns, good disposition.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2012

I was extremely pleased with Dr. Canale. I was diagnosed with cancer, and he patiently answered all my questions, and guided me through the process of treatment. He personally called me (I thought this was amazing - never had a Dr. do this) with results and follow ups - very important when you are in a state of shock about a bad diagnosis. Great bedside manner, great personality and a sense of humor which is important to me.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2009

My friend highly recommended Dr. Canale. I called to make an appt. for a breast biopsy, but he wasn't available for a few weeks, so I made an appt. elsewhere. He called me a few days later to tell me I could come in that same day. He examined me, did the biopsy, and everything went well. The following day, he called as soon as the results were in (everything was fine). I'm surprised to read these negative comments.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2009

I was referred by my GYN to use Dr. Canale for a breast biopsy. His bedside manner was good. I expected a good experience. During the procedure, he seemed incapable and minimally qualified to perform my breast biopsy. I do not feel that he is adequately qualified to be performing breast surgery. His surgical and technical prowess was not evident during my visit.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2007

Canale did a hernia repair that didn't need a mesh. He inserted the mesh which became entangled with scar tissue. Another surgeon needed 4 hours to remove the poor quality work that Canale did. I went back numerous times complaining of persistent pain which Canale ignored. The new surgeon said I did not need the mesh if Canale had gone in and looked before just inserting the mesh.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2007

I was forced to go to this man for a WC injury although I knew his reputation was not good. He did a shortcut on my surgery that ended up causing a major injury, and I almost ended up on disability although after nearly a year I had another surgeon reverse the damage Dr. Canale inflicted. He showed no caring nor concern about the giant hematoma I had developed, in fact the nurse "diagnosed" me over the phone, they did not want to see me. When the other problem developed he just sent me off to the pain clinic. I have been told by so many people who work at the hospital that he is completely incompetent. He now only does breast surgery, but still, RUN from this man and his practice.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2007

Dr. Sean T. Canale's Credentials

• Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans (Grad. 1991)