Ratings for Dr. Matthew Messina

Dr. Messina was impatient and difficult. Reluctant to help me.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

He was not helpful. I felt like I was bother and he didn't want to help me. He brushed me off and my pain. It led to me bedding more care for tendions in my ankle. Would not see him Again.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2016

Nice guy,Straight Shooter,He would not perscribe Celebrex for me,i liked that he was honest about it!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2014

Dr. Messina is a cold, unhelpful, and careless excuse for a doctor. He misdiagnosed my foot pain as a "fracture" and put me in a boot and on crutches for 3 months. 6 months later, I have nerve damage and this has been diagnosed by real doctors that listen and know the field. His lack of attention to detail and care for me escalated my injury and caused further damage. I felt like I inconvenienced him at every visit and he couldn't be bothered with anything other than evidence on an x-ray that a 6 year old could find. Take my advice and even if you are desperate for an appointment, DO NOT see this doctor. He will make all of your problems worse and he truthfully should not be practicing, especially in the Newton-Wellesley area. I repeat, DO NOT see this doctor.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2014

1) Office very poorly designed for people having mobility issues. Staff not very well trained or service centered. Don't have a lot of faith in this doctor

flag | Submitted November 18, 2013

My 83 ys mom injured her shoulder& was in the emergency room for 5hr on the wkend. She experienced tremendous pain & was on narcotics the entire wkend. next Mon I called the office, staff told me that there is an opening on Tue, but she can’t book her till mom’s insurance info is cleared by the billing. I begged the staff save the appointment & assured her mom’s insurance is good. “NO”, she “can’t make the apt till the billing check the info” & “that is the office policy”. Finally 1hr later, I spoke with billing and mom’s insurance just confirmed, but they no long have Tue opening. Mom has to wait another day to see doctor. I am extremely upset with “the office policy” and their response “like or not, that’s our policy” a billing staff said. Obviously this office in the business to make profit, yet they forget that they are in the health industry. My entire experience told me that this office put money before their mission. Just found another office & will never return.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2013

Great Dr.and staff. My 76 year old mom tripped and broke her ankle in 3 spots. Dr.Messina did her surgery at NewtonWellesly hospital.He was very caring and patient with my mom who was very anxious.He and his staff are exceptional! Thank you for taking care of my mom.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2013

I do not recommend Dr Messina. I severely sprained my foot and went to the ER where an xray showed nothing broken but because of severe swelling and bruising on my foot I was given a boot and crutches and prescribed RICE and follow up with a specialist. A week later when I saw Dr Messina my foot was still had severe swelling and showed even more bruising. He took another xray, saw nothing broken, and only prescribed rest and Advil. I ended up being on crutches for another 3 weeks, and had significant foot pain for another 6 months and mild foot pain for another 12 months. Looking back I was an idiot for following his terrible advice. In hindsight, I clearly needed physical therapy to heal properly. I also should have insisted on an MRI so we'd know more about what soft tissue in my foot was damaged. Dr Messina seemed to be in a rush to get me out the door and didn't seem very interested in helping me heal. I strongly advise people with soft tissue injuries to go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2012

I had a very poor experience with this doctor and staff. I had initially requested for a different orthopaedic on the phone when making the appointment. But only when I visited the site, was I informed that I was put through Dr Messina I had gone there for knee pain/strain. He first asked me to get an MRI done before giving any other suggestions - which is understandable. But the MRI did not show any injury, and then Dr Messina, could not offer any other advice. He basically told me - 'it was probably what your earlier doctor recommended' and sent me some material for patello-femoral syndrome Since he could offer no other advice, it felt very much like he didnt care and wanted me off. He gave no other suggestion about braces, hot/cold therapy or physio-therapy recommendations, which I eventually found out myself.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2011

Dr.Messina is a great doctor. He reconstructed both of my ankles and bettered the quality of my life. I am only 28 and now I can go back to what I was doing before constantly spraining my ankles. He was very caring and spent multiple appointments listening to my concerns. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Messina to my family and friends!!

flag | Submitted September 23, 2010

Dr. Matthew Messina's Credentials

• Philadelphia Coll Of Osteo Med, Philadelphia Pa 19131 (Grad. 1993)

Healthnet