Ratings for Dr. Steven M. Reich

As a health care provider (physical therapist) for 30+ years I have known of Dr. Reich’s excellent reputation on a professional level, but never as a patient until I Herniated my L3 Disc. Unable to stand, walk, or sleep without severe pain I followed the usual course of treatment of medication, physical therapy, and even trigger point injections. When my symptoms failed to improve, I went to see Dr. Reich who specialized in the treatment of the spine. It took about 2 ½ weeks to get an appointment with Dr. Reich, but he’s worth waiting for. Not only is he an excellent doctor, but his personality and bedside manner make you feel comfortable and at ease. His evaluations are thorough, he explains in great detail his findings, carefully reviews and discusses your image studies with you (Xray, MRI, etc ), and he dictates his notes in front of you so you get to hear, once again, everything he just discussed with you. He will answer all your questions, and you never feel rushed. Dr. Reich emphasized surgery is a last option in most cases. Conservative treatment is always best ---continuing physical therapy, the anti-inflammatory medication, epidural injections, and even acupuncture treatment if I found it helpful. Many people avoid going to an Orthopedic Surgeon because after all, a surgeon’s job is to operate and no one wants surgery. However, if you need surgery, you certainly want to make sure you choose a good surgeon. That’s why I chose Dr. Reich. Eight weeks after the initial onset, my back pain started to diminish, but I still was experiencing sharp groin pain and persistent weakness in my leg. I couldn’t walk around the block, go up or down stairs in a normal fashion, get in or out of a car without difficulty, not to mention return to work. Every aspect of my life was affected. At this point Dr. Reich recommended surgery. I was still very apprehensive about having surgery. As a physical therapist, I had seen too many “failed back surgeries”. However, I certainly did not want to spend the rest of my life in this condition. My Microdiscectomy surgery was performed at the University Surgical Center in East Brunswick. The procedure took about 1 1 /2 hours and I was released several hours later. Immediately, I noticed the groin pain was completely gone and the strength was significantly better. I was given a prescription for pain medication, but only required extra strength Tylenol on the day of surgery. The surgical center’s personnel (office staff, nurses, anesthesiologist) were pleasant and efficient from beginning to end. They made every effort to make you comfortable and at ease. They call you the day prior to your procedure to give you instructions preoperatively and call you again on the following day to check your status. At two weeks post-op, I am walking 10,000 steps a day. I have little to no discomfort. I still lack full strength in my leg, but it continues to improve. I am permitted to drive, swim, use an elliptical, stairmaster and bike. For six weeks, I must follow three post-operative restrictions -- No bending at the waist, No twisting, and No lifting more than 10 lbs. The office staff at Affiliated Orthopedics are extremely efficient and pleasant to deal with. Since Dr. Reich is an “Out of Network” provider, the office explains your financial obligation prior to your initial visit, and in my case, surgery. The Staff guides you through the process. All correspondences were handled immediately. And they always call you back. Hopefully, you won’t require surgery, but if you do, it a no brainer!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr. Reich is the most amazing, talented, and compassionate person and surgeon. He is also kind with a wonderful sense of humor. I suffered from severe leg pain, pins and needles, cramps, and numbness. During my first appointment, he clearly explained the MRI as well as x-rays that were taken in the office. Dr. Reich uses surgery as a last resort. The goal is to eliminate symptoms using non-invasive treatments and this was clearly explained. In my case, the treatments did not work. Dr. Reich explained the surgery in detail along with models.and I never felt pushed into it. I finally decided to have the surgery after none of the other options worked, which was 3 weeks ago. Dr. Reich has high expectations of himself as well as those he works with. Dr. Reich and the team in the operating room are the best. His nursing team is also excellent. He has high expectations of everyone. As soon as I walked for the first time (same day as the surgery), I had absolutely no pain in my legs. It was amazing. It is now three weeks later, and my incision is healing beautifully, and I am able to walk several miles with no pain. I feel like Dr. Reich performed a miracle. Dr. Reich cares deeply for his patients. He treats his patients as he would a family member. You will not find a more honest and fabulous doctor. He even called me before the surgery to see if I had any questions and to see how I was doing, and he called after I came home. The staff at Affiliated Orthopedics is also very helpful, caring, and friendly. I am beyond grateful to Dr. Reich for giving me my life back. If you have any spine issues, I recommend you only see Dr. Reich. He is an expert in his field and the absolute BEST!!!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Thank goodness for Dr. Reich, without a doubt, the best of the best! I’m a 60 year old male whose problem started in early 2016. I began to have constant tingling and pain in my right arm, which got worse as time went on…like when you hit your elbow on something and you get this weird sensation for 10 seconds….but this was a constant buzzing nerve pain. To save time for the reader, here are the bullet points: • May-Aug 2016 – 20 visits to chiropractor, twice a week, no improvement • Sep 2016 – neurologist visit – may be arthritis in neck • Oct 2016 – regular MRI • Nov 2016 – EMG (nerve conduction test) • Nov 2016 – back to neurologist – arthritis of cervical (neck)) vertebrae pressing on nerves…try in this order: PT, oral medication, local injections, surgery. • Dec 2016-Jan 2017 – PT twice a week. Generally good experience, but pain unbearable by end of day. Only lying down or neck traction (inflatable cushion from Amazon) would relieve the ache in right arm. • Jan 2017 – Showed another chiropractor the MRI of neck and he said “what a mess, really I don’t know if I can help you. You should probably see a surgeon.” • Feb 1 2017, Dr. Reich appointment #1 – I selected Dr. Reich because of how he helped my wife with lower back surgery in 2011. Her surgeon selection process was exhaustive, as she would only go to the very best. She had suffered for years and was pain free immediately after her procedure. Dr. Reich was not satisfied with my regular MRI images so sent me for the 1.5 Tesla MRI (he is very precise). • Feb 13 2017 – 1.5 Tesla MRI of cervical spine. • Mar 1 2017, Dr. Reich appointment #2 – MRI showed things like “disc osteophyte complex encroaching subarachnoid space and severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.” To you and me, that means my crumbling neck bones were squeezing the nerves causing numbness, weakness and pain. After a long and very informative discussion with Dr. Reich, I selected the surgical option. I didn’t want to deal with the pain any longer and was confident that he could fix my problem. • April 4 2017 – chest X-ray, April 5 2017 – blood work, April 10 – medical clearance from primary physician, April 24 2017 – got call from University SurgiCenter to be there the next day at 6:00 AM (ugh!). • April 25 2017 – Arrived at 5:50 AM. People all very nice. Changed into a gown, Dr. Reich came in a cracked a few pretty funny jokes. Wheeled in operating room. About 10 people in the room, all very kind and comforting. Was chatting with someone….and then suddenly, out like a light. I had an ACDF (look it up on YouTube) on C5-C6-C7. Woke up, a little woozy (nice buzz actually), with a neck brace on. I was a little out of it but I remember my wife speaking with recovery room nurse. Dr. Reich came in to see how I was feeling and then took the time to actually walk us out to our car. Was on my way home at a little after 2:00 PM. • Post-op – Wore the neck brace for a week or so. Went back to work 6 days post-op. (Note: Neck brace is an excellent way to get attention and sympathy from others.) Arm pain completely gone, just a little soreness in neck and back that went away over the next few weeks. • Follow-up appointments and X-rays with Dr. Reich at 2 weeks and 4 weeks. Surgery 100.00% successful. I am so very thankful for the abilities of Dr. Reich and his staff. His surgical skills are truly phenomenal and his personality is fantastic. Dr. Reich has a wonderful bedside manner. He is very kind and funny, but you get the feeling that this guy knows exactly what he is doing….you just seem to know that you are in good hands. Letting Dr. Reich take care of me was one of those truly “life changing” experiences. THANK YOU DR. REICH !!!!!!!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2017

Dr. Reich is the best physician I have ever visited. He is caring, attentive, and thorough. Most of all, he was accurate in his diagnosis and treatment of my disc problem. My lower back feels better than before I became injured, and my pain has completely subsided. I appreciated the time he spent examining me and explaining all aspects of various treatments, including pros and cons of each, risks, and insurance considerations. Moreover, in an age where so many in my situation fall into prescription pain medication addiction, Dr. Reich took care to manage my prescriptions carefully. Finally, his staff is professional, caring, courteous, and responsive. I highly recommend Dr. Reich!

flag | Submitted November 25, 2016

To Whom It May Concern, I just wanted to put in writing how totally pleased I am with Dr. Steven Reich and his wonderful staff. He and all his staff are truly exceptional in their attention to detail and in striving to make a patient feel comfortable. I was in a terrible car accident last October, T Boned while waiting to make a turn and not moving. I was taken to the hospital, they did a cat scan, x rays and released me and told me to see an orthopedic doctor in the next few days. All they did was load me up with pain meds and sent me home. Subsequently, I went to see an orthopedic doctor two days later and was in excruciating pain. He sent me for an MRI the next day. I knew it wasn’t good news when they told me the doctor’s office was on the phone and instructed me to come back immediately. My accident happened on a Friday afternoon and this was now Tuesday afternoon. The doctor told me I had a fracture in my neck, C 2 vertebrate, he put me into a neck collar and said I would need surgery. Fortunately my husband is a technician and works at a hospital in New Jersey. One of his colleagues gave him the name of Dr. Steven Reich who kindly agreed to see me. It was the best thing that I ever did. Dr. Reich examined me, sent me for some tests and told me that I did not need surgery. I would have to be in a neck brace for up to three months but most likely the fracture would heal on its own without surgery. That was music to my ears! I can’t begin to thank him for seeing me, taking on my case and encouraging me not to have the surgery. By diligently wearing the neck brace 24/7 for three months and then going for physical therapy, I am happy to say that I have no residual effects from this injury. Dr. Reich is a surgeon yet he advised me not to go the surgical route, that in my case it was not necessary. As the saying goes, he is truly a gentleman and a scholar and my savior. Dr. Reich reassured me from day one and was kind, patient and took the time to answer all of my questions and concerns. His office staff was just as kind and helpful. If you find yourself in need of an orthopedic surgeon, I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Steven Reich to guide you and recommend the proper path for you. I am so thankful to have my life back to normal and to feel good again and not be in pain anymore. Thank you Dr. Reich!!!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

As medical professional (sonographer) I can be a very difficult patient! As young woman who has always been very active and involved in sports, hearing the words you need spinal surgery was not what I wanted to hear. I was terrified! My story begins with some concerning lower back pain over the course of a year. I finally went for the MRI to discover L1 thru S1 are bulging. I went through all the chiropractic and acupuncture process with great success. Until one cold morning I twisted while taking my bike off a ceiling hook. The hip pain from that point was unbearable. It was like a nail driving into the side of my hip. After a few weeks it was radiating down my whole leg. Off to a repeat MRI I went... L4-L5 was now severely pinching the nerve effecting my leg. Now I got to meet Dr. Reich. The process from scheduling my first appointment to how payments are made was so simple and well explained by his staff ahead of time. During my first visit Dr. Reich was exceptional! He took the time to do a full examination showing and explain to me the weakness I had in my leg and what was causing it. Not once did I feel like a number or that he was in a rush. He took the time to answer all of my and my husbands questions. His recommendation was a micro discectomy/ laminectomy of L4-L5. And he was sure to explain why surgery was for me my only option to fix the leg pain. His staff walked me through all the papers and out of network insurance information and then the surgery scheduling process. Surgery day...... I was a wreck!!!!! Terrified!!! Crying like crazy!! I'm a very bad patient. From the front desk at the surgery center, to the nurses, support staff, anesthesiologist, assistant surgeon, and Dr Reich were AMAZING!! They did everything in their power to make me comfortable. After my surgery they went above and beyond to be sure I would be comfortable for the hour long car ride home. Not to mention I was up and walking around before I even left with no leg pain already. Since surgery I have no leg pain what so ever :-) Very minimal weakness compared to the other leg. And only noticed during his exam. I do have some low back pain but none of it is from the surgery. There are other discs that "keep the weather in check for me". And this was all explained to me by Dr Reich prior to surgery. Each follow up visit Dr Reich saw me and his staff was great! Walking me through the healing process every step of the way. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr Reich and his staff in each the office and the surgery center. I'd recommend him to any family member or friend of mine in a heart beat.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

I am 61 years old and for several years I had been suffering from lower back pain. As time went by the pain became worse and worse, spreading from my lower back, down through my right leg as far as my foot. I lived with the pain for as long as I could, but it finally became a quality of life issue. I could no longer function or participate in daily activities. I tried chiropractic therapy, anti inflammatory medications, narcotic pain medications, and epidural injections, nothing worked. I got to the point where I needed crutches just to get around, and even then the pain I was experiencing was intolerable. I finally went to see Dr. Steven M. Reich of Affiliated Orthopaedic Specialists in New Jersey. Dr. Reich came highly recommended not only by his former patients, but by his peers as well. That was the best decision of my life. First, I must comment on the staff at Affiliated Orthopaedic Specialists. Each and every one of them, without exception, comprise a group of the most compassionate, sincere and dedicated people you could ever wish for. My heartfelt thanks goes out to each and every one of them. On to Dr. Reich: The first, and most refreshing experience, was that when you are in his exam room you have his undivided attention. There is nothing more important to him, than you. While you might wait awhile to see him, once he is in the room, you have him – there is no rushing. Whether it takes 15 minutes or an hour and a half in that room, it makes no difference to him. He will listen carefully to everything you say. He will answer every single question, no matter how repetitive, in a manner that you can fully understand. Unlike many surgeons, Dr. Reich is in no hurry to get you into the operating room. In fact, until you have proven to him that you have tried every single non-surgical approach to your condition, he will not even talk to you about a surgical solution. Once it has been determined that surgery is your only option, Dr. Reich will walk you through the process. He will take as much time as necessary to explain to you what has to be done and how it gets done. He will thoroughly explain to you what you can expect from the surgery, what the risks are, and what you can expect as an outcome. Dr. Reich is an extremely compassionate man. He understands that surgery, especially spinal surgery, is a very frightening experience - and he knows how to put your mind at ease. As far as his expertise as a surgeon goes; to call Dr. Reich a miracle worker, would be a gross understatement of his abilities. In my opinion, he is quite simply the best there is. My procedure involved the removal of the disks between L4 and L5, and L5 and S1, the insertion of cages where the disks were removed, and the installation of screws and rods to support my spine while the process of fusion ran its course. I was in the operating room for between four and five hours, and then spent three days in the hospital before they sent me home. The first thirty days of at-home recovery were definitely the toughest. Not because you are in pain, but mostly because you are afraid to move. Once you get your confidence back, the rest is just a walk in the park – literally. I am now thirteen weeks post-op. After three follow-up visits, Dr. Reich has just cleared me for normal activities. In fact; I am already back to playing golf. After years and years of suffering, I now have absolutely no pain in my back and no pain in my leg – like I said… Dr. Reich is most definitely a miracle worker. While I fully understand the fear and apprehension that one experiences when contemplating a procedure such as mine, I am here to tell you – it’s worth it. Dr. Reich and his staff will give you your life back… GO SEE HIM.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

Dr. Reich and his staff are fantastic! He is knowledgeable and patient. His staff is amazingly helpful and pleasant. You will have to wait for your appointment....but it is worth it!!!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

I have been a hospital pharmacist for 20 years and when I hurt my neck every healthcare professional I asked - other doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and administrators recommended I see Dr. Reich. He has not disappointed. I had a herniated disc in my neck which caused an extremely painful radiculopathy down my left arm. Dr Reich gave me an honest assessment and was patient as I attempted to rehab the injury and asked a lot of questions. Dr Reich has a great bedside manner - his sense of humor without being unproffesional really made me feel comfortable at a time when I was scared and unsure of what to do. I decided on surgery and have been pain free since the procedure. I did not experience any pain post surgery, not a single pain med taken. The scar is barely noticeable. The team at RWJ University Hospital is fantastic. The nurse practioners Diane and Shauday at the hospital are extraordinary professionals. Dr Reich's office staff are courteous and professional. Dr Reich is an amazing person and doctor - he makes the professionals around him perform optimally. I am so grateful to have been cared for by Dr Reich and his team.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015

If you have a back problem... and want to be "FIXED" go see Dr. Reich... You WILL NOT be disappointed..... He is the "Holy Grail" of spinal doctors.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2015

Dr. Steven M. Reich's Credentials

• A Einstein Coll Of Med Of Yeshiva Univ, Bronx Ny 10461 (Grad. 1986)

Pacificare