Ratings for Dr. Robert E. Nakken

Dr. Nakken replaced my left hip this past year. My experience was beyond amazing. I never needed my walker and only used a cane for a few days. He does the anterior approach which is the way to go in my opinion. There is less pain, less down time, and no need for "hip precautions" which are required with the traditional approach during healing to prevent dislocation. I was back to walking my favorite walking trail in 10 days, and was able to do the whole thing in just over 2 weeks. Dr. Nakken and Steve Newman PA were both very concerned that I have a great outcome and recovery, which I obviously did. I had very little pain which was easily controlled with only Ultram and Ibuprofen. I am so appreciative.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

Dr Nakken replaced my left hip in Sept of 2014. He did a fantastic job in comparison to the right hip I had replaced in 2004....It involved a very small incision and I was up walking that afternoon. He doesnt talk much but he knows his job. His PA Steve Newmann did the follow ups and he gets an attaboy too.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2015

Employs Steve Newmann PA. who lied to me multiple times concerning sticking himself first with the needle he then used to inject my knee with Synvisc. When this was brought to the attention of Dr. Nakken, Dr. Nakken told me, "I guarantee that didn't happen." He said these exact words even though the procedure was performed in one of the patient rooms without him being present. Dr. Nakken was not interested in hearing my side of the story. Instead, he insinuated that I was likely involved in risky behavior and had concocted the story to get HIV and HEP C testing done for free. I am proceeding with testing at my own expense. The receptionist, x-ray technician are great staff. I will not be returning for future consults. This experience has been a nightmare. I've been a patient of Dr. Nakken/Newman for several years having undergone back treatment and knee surgery & treatment. Until this incident, I have been generally satisfied.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2012

IN August 2009 I fractured and spiraled my tibia and fibula while hiking Cedar Breaks. Dr. Nakken's surgery fixed me AND the way in which he closed the incision left me with barely a fine line up my tibia. One can barely see it. He is an excellent Orthopaedic surgeon! His work was seen by my San Diego Orthopaedic follow-up surgeon who also voiced the same opinion on Dr Nakken's work!

flag | Submitted June 6, 2012

Poor bedside manners and only cares about getting paid then your well being. Would not recommend!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2011

I had compression fx on my vertebraes and he briefly told me everything looks fine, however; he did not even read the radiologist report that came with the xray. I had a bulge called a "gibbus" in my spine and I asked him what it was, he replied, "It is probably just normal and you just haven't noticed it". A prestigious and profound radiologist said I have a gibbus... and your telling me it is normal and I haven't noticed it! Not very knowledgable. I wonder if he even looked at the xray. I waited for 1.5 hours for my appointment one time and another time they rescheduled my appointment on me when I already drove the distance.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2011

Doesn't have routine paperwork on his patients ready on surgery day and then wonders why he can't work as fast as the other ortho doc. ****es the staff to work faster! Loafs in the lounge between OR cases instead of directing care of his patients in the OR. Only goes in the OR at the LAST possible moment.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2008

I have seen Dr. Naaken several times and will need surgery at some point. He has always answered questions and listened to my concerns. He took care of my husband for years,mostly with epidural injections until his Rheumatoid arthritis necessitated a power chair and chronic pain management. My husband is a retired physician and I am a retired RN and we can be very picky about our care. I hate to see someone bad mouth a caring Doctor. After all, we the patient, are ultimately responsible for our life style choices and need to realize that all outcomes are not perfect.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2008

Had my arm crushed in a machine at work. This Dr. was doing little to help me. I ask him why. He said that he had determined that there was nothing for him to do surgery on and so and this I quote "I don't care what else is wrong" with the arm. Yup, I changed doctors.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2008

Dr. Robert E. Nakken's Credentials

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Nakken replaced my left hip this past year. My experience was beyond amazing. I never needed my walker and only used a cane for a few days. He does the a..."

December 24, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Nakken replaced my left hip in Sept of 2014. He did a fantastic job in comparison to the right hip I had replaced in 2004....It involved a very small incisio..."

May 12, 2015
  • 'birds of a feather' rating (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=590695'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.7

March 16, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' rating (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=590695'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.9

February 24, 2014