Ratings for Dr. Robert S. Katz

I went to see Dr. Katz hoping for a diagnosis after having been unwell nearly my entire life. Yes, he did run many tests and x-rays. I do not understand how one would hope for diagnosis without that. And yes, once I was in the exam room, I did wait two hours. I expected that and brought a book. Once he arrived for my appointment though, he spent a good deal of time with me. After explaining my health problems, Dr. Katz explained he was fairly convinced I had fibromyalgia. I thought it pretty odd, never having seen my medical records and not having ordered labs yet. We spoke at length and he told me to research fibro for my follow-up in few weeks. I returned for my follow-up and was informed that my labs came back negative for obvious disorders, so I must have fibromyalgia. I had packets of papers on fibro, which is supposed to be a diagnosis of exclusion, and brought up the possibility of other systemic disorders. This is where everything fell apart and he became highly offended that I would question his expertise. I should mention that I brought my SO to this appointment because I sometimes get brain fog and have lapses in articulation. When my SO tried to mention current issues and input from my specialists, he suggested that those issues were misdiagnosed and that I needed to be treated for the fibro, and should start on a battery of 6 medications. Finally two years later, it turns out that I have two extremely uncommon disorders that are commonly comorbidities to one another, and no, fibromyalgia is not one of them. I do not doubt that Dr. Katz is a good rheumatologist when one has a disorder that is able to be objectively diagnosed. It just seems that when lab values do not show anything obvious, treatment goes sideways. Unfortunately, diseases and disorders don't work that way and something can still be terribly wrong.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2018

I took my daughter to Dr. Katz because he is supposed to be "THE BEST" rheumatologist. We spent all day there being sent for blood tests and xrays hat we already had with other doctors (but dr. katz likes his own). After talking to one of many nurses for an hour, we finally got to meet The Pope of Rheumatology and he spent five minutes with us. He confused my daughter with another patient. He told her she needed to walk on a treadmill for five hours a day for a month!!! She can barely walk to her classes! THIS DOCTOR IS A MYTH. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!

flag | Submitted April 23, 2018

Basically he was a drug pusher: oxy, fentanyl, etc.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2018

I had been a patient of Dr Katz for more than 8yrs and every visit was a trial of my patience. He does not keep nurses! After one of the best, Hannah, left and then Nancy, the office manager, Alice, took over! She controls what meds for you are ordered and no nurse (now 8 new ones since my becoming a patient) working in that office don't dare do anything (order your meds) without Alice's permission. She is not even a nurse. I have not seen such high nurse turnover in a doctor's office. The office, from answering the phone to medical records, always ask Alice first before they do anything, talk about other patients in front of you, are rude/disrespectful, ignore HIPAA, blow off patients or don't return phone calls, and Alice has total disrespect for the patients. Plan of waiting for 2-3 hrs to see Katz for a 3 min "exam" as he says "what do you expect me to do" -if I knew what to do about my condition I wouldn't put myself through this abuse; he but me on so many meds and when I had problems with the meds he yelled at me; when I told him the weather was affecting my pain he said, "move to AZ"; and when I said I was concerned about my memory and dizziness, he replied, "probably fibro fog," and left the room. You spend 10 minutes with a nurse in a room, wait 1-2 hrs waiting for Katz, and he shows up for 3-5 mins to add his personal abuse and then he runs out of the room not to be bothered by your question(s) of your disease or care. Unless you like abuse, stay STAY STAY away from this doctor and office! The "awards" on his office walls can be, and probably are, bought on the internet or through subscription mail-probably by Alice to impress knowledgeable patients and guinea pigs.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2018

I had several appointments with Dr. Katz office . The staff was very caring and sympathetic to my needs. His bedside matter was warm caring and compassionate. Great experience every time.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2016

Uncaring, mean and conceited doctor! I would wait for hours, and he finally yelled at me once-- because of a medication I took. All he wanted to do was talk about other things, and the nurses do all the work. Full not himself and not nice. STAY AWAY. I think he's . He's a sham.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

My experience? Okay. I took my girlfriend to see this doctor. While in the waiting room my hopes for her were lifted because of all the credentials he displayed on the walls of the waiting room. We were desperate to get her some help. She was dying and neither of us knew why. When we finally saw the renowned doctor, he ordered some tests such as a bone density scan and a few others. After spending an afternoon there, Dr. Katz prescribed the drug Methotrexate for her. He instructed us to get the okay from her kidney specialist before filling the script. We did this. He in turn told us to clear this with her local rheumatologist before we filled the script. He, (Dr. Tan from Decatur, IL), in turn told us that this was the last thing he would do. But since we were told Dr. Katz was well known and considered a great doctor, she went with his opinion and took the drug. First week things went status quo. The next week, on a Saturday I will never forget, she took the second dose. The following day she was hemorrhaging from her throat and nose and had to be rushed to a local hospital. It was painful for her and painful for me to observe. Dr. Katz was NOT responsible for her death. But I DO believe he was irresponsible for writing this script without further research on her condition. She is gone now and all I have is her memory. But I will always believe she was misdiagnosed from the beginning and she should be alive this day. Even Dr. Tan said this was not like any Lupus victim he had ever seen. He spent a few years studying my girlfriend's condition. Dr. Katz however, prescribed a drug for her in ONE afternoon that nearly killed her.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2016

I have waited 2-3 hours numerous times to see the doctor only to have him spend 5-10 minutes with me. He doesn't listen to my concerns and always wants to give me a new medication. I am fine with the tests and costs, but wish he would genuinely hear what my issues are. I feel like I am just a number here.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2015

Dr. Katz is the most caring and compassionate doctor I know. He cares greatly about his patients. His clinical knowledge is better than anyone. He is the smartest and most knowledgeable doctor I have ever been to.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2015

Terrible experience. Don't go. Expensive, try to deceive the cost when you visit and charge you later. Long waiting time. Impolite office staffs.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

Dr. Robert S. Katz's Credentials

• Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1971)