Ratings for Dr. Raymond Thal

I decided to write this only after a year+ post surgery. Over a year and a half has gone by since my surgery and I don't have the slightest pain. It is like a rebirth. Dr. Thal was excellent in preparing me for the surgery. Explanations (along with photos) pre and post were excellent. About 4 months after the surgery, I fell dead weight on the exact location. The pain was excruciating and I was sure I had torn the repair. Onc MRI later and Dr. Thal told me that I had a minor in-line fracture that would heal in several weeks. He also said that I had inadvertently performed a "stress test" on his operation and that in fact, the success of the operation held my bone in place during the fall and prevented additional damage. Dr. Thal's prediction for a total recovery from my second fall was totally correct and I am totally healed.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2014

Had an injury to my shoulder. Prior to seeing DR. Thal I had been advised through and MRI and another Surgeon that there was a significant tear to my shoulder. After meeting with Dr. Thal and a month of added physical therapy he finally agreed to operate and low and behold there were 5 tears in the shoulder. After recovery for 2 months and still pain he added that there was nothing wrong with me and my shoulder however I still had significant pain. 3 months went by and finally another MRI was ordered and more tears that he admitted he may have missed. Now a second surgery and possibly more in the future. I would not go to him again if it was not mandated by workers compensation. This was the worst experience of my life.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2012

Dr. Thal is the best! I've had several surgeries done by him and getting ready for another. He's not 'cut happy' and tries to start with the least invasive approach to resolve the problem with surgery being the final option. I've been to Town Center Ortho for years and would never consider using anyone else. If your problem wasn't solved, you didn't communicate so be honest with your doctor.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2012

dr. thal is a great surgeon, knows exactly what he is doing, and there is no problem with his surgery. he can fix what other surgeons cannot, but if you decide to have him operate make sure that you can withstand alot of pain post-op, because he does not believe in giving you anything for the pain but asprin! he must think we are all as tough as 300lb pro football players:) so if you want it done right, he is the doctor for you, just be prepared for ALOT of sleepless nights!

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

Great personality, and very knowledgeable. I have severe shoulder arthritis. Unlike another doctor I had seen, he didn't immediately say "you need surgery." Provided me a a series of options -- from least to most aggressive, and recommended trying the least aggressive option first.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2011

I went to see him sevral times for my shoulder problem. All this time my shoulder got worsen but he kept saying he wasn't sure why I keep having pain for a long time and told me I might have some other problem. So I went to see another Dr. and guess what? I needed a surgery! I had a huge tear on my shoulder! Because I wasted so much time on Dr.Thal, my surgery was very delayed and I was ending up with a lot longer and painful recovery time.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2011

Poor bedside manner but an excellent orthopedist. He operated on my rotator cuff; highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2009

Highly recommended for knee problems. Excellent diagnostician.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2008

Dr. Raymond Thal's Credentials

• Loyola University Of Chicago, Stritch School Of Medicine (Grad. 1984)

Commercial Insurance Company