You may also like

Rate Dr. Jay Calvert

Dr. Jay Calvert's Ratings

Dr. Calvert is unethical and unseemly. He changed his name from Jay Szem (his real name under which he got his medical degree and was a resident in Pittsburgh) to Jay Calvert once he moved out to California.
In November 2013, Calvert was indicted for insurance fraud and unconsented surgical procedures in Orange County. The Deputy DA, Shaddi Kamiabipour disclosed that the case was dropped because Calvert/Szem agreed to pay restitution to patients and to change some of his practices. She was quoted "We're not dealing with a situation of me dismissing the case because he's innocent.... He not only performed cosmetic surgeries not covered by insurance but performed additional procedures to which patients had not fully consented. He did this so he could bill insurance and then bill the patient." What an unethical, greedy, fraud (this is all available in the Orange County Register online). Calvert paid for Internet PR to say he was "exonerated" or "cleared". He was NOT "exonerated", the charges were dropped after he SETTLED and paid the plaintiffs money for unconsented procedures that he fraudulently billed insurance for.
Finally, his work is sloppy and unnatural. He uses far too much rib cartilage when it isn't necessary. This is so he can increase his surgical fees. Be very, very, careful before you use him. There are so many better doctors out there that don't cross ethical lines for enrichment. He's a huckster who touts his travel to medical meetings as some sign of recognition. Most talented PS don't have multiple websites, go on TV shows, or need a PR campaign. The best of the best are quietly operating in thriving practices that are discretely word of mouth. Calvert/Szem spends time, money, a PR machine, and staff to enhance his reputation. Some of the positive reviews are so blatantly fabricated with hyperbolic adjectives and generous use of exclamation marks. "Rock Star!" "Genius!" to name a few. Additionally, many a negative review is met with vehement rebuttal and overkill. So, so suspect! Most legitimate patients have surgery and that's the end of it. They don't surf the web, after all is said and donelooking for comments about their former surgeon, they are happy with their results and move on. To another point, why would an INSURANCE a company endorse a plastic surgeon?! That is so ludicrous and frankly not allowed. They can tell you which doctor might have contracted with your network (for non-cosmetic procedures) but they would NEVER recommend a surgeon for procedures. That's unethical practice right there! Have you ever phoned your insurance company to ask for a cosmetic surgeon recommendation? Really? Some clerk at a desk who deals in coding, charges, and deductibles? They wouldn't know. Especially for cosmetic procedures. Run, don't walk away from this fraud.

Was this rating useful? 7 [[ userState['ratings'][2797801].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

Dr. Jay Calvert MD is in my opinion the top revision Rhinoplasty surgeon, and he is truly one of the kindest Dr.'s I have ever consulted. He is very special and extremely compassionate. I've seen many of his patient's results, and all I can say is that I initially went to his office for a spa treatment, and after seeing the fabulous results of his surgical skills. I switched my choice of surgeons over to him. He is probably one of the most honest physicians.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2629753].votes_count ]]

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Genius! Genius! Genius! 3 words to describe Dr. Jay Calvert! I was pretty impressed of his youtube surgery videos were he fixed noses but what was more important for me to talk with his former patients who already had surgery with Dr Calvert, so i could have my own REAL opinion. So i met with 3 different former patients who had nose revisions and they all looked great. They told me how everything works and 2 of them went to the oxygen chamber to heal faster. If you want real opinions, always meet with former patients because cant trust just the internet. Anyway, he fixed my nose with ear cartilage and also straighten my septum. My breathing is good too!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2624950].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 19, 2014

Dr calvert is skilled and compassionate. He will exceed your expectations in every way. His results speak for themselves.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2582461].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2014

When i was looking for a good doctor i asked my insurance to give me a few names. Doctors which have a good reputation and who already have a well known name. One of the recommendations was Dr. Jay Calvert in newport beach. 3 consultations with him convinced me that he will be my Revision Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][592642].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2013

My Rhinoplasty was a success. I had my hump shaved down and my doctor used facsia to smooth out my bridge. My breathing was very bad so he he also fixed my turbulences. I can breathe very well now and finally my hump is gone. By the way, thanks to everyone at the Roxbury clinic in Beverly Hills.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][592641].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 4, 2013

Dr. Calvert is THE BEST doctor out there! If your like me and you like to do all your research to find the best doctor, well look no further because it's Dr. Calvert. He did skin graft surgery for my uncle, he had a horrible burn accident and he was so happy with the results! It help him gain his confidence back after having third degree burns on both of his hands and forearms. After that my brother had rhinoplasty with Dr. Calvert and he did such a great job his nose looks perfect! so Finally I got the courage do get rhinoplasty and there was no other doctor I trusted more then Dr. Calvert. My nose was not an easy nose to work with, he fix my breathing as well as the appearance and it's looks AMAZING honestly I get so many compliments! I am so thankful for Dr. Calvert he is honest, caring, attentive and most of all so knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][592640].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013

Dr Calvert is the most caring thoughtful doctor I have seen. He listened to all my concerns and his staff made me feel completely at ease. -Is this testimonial fake? Read about my accident and ull see that it is real. Although Dr. Calvert did not save my life in the ER, he listened to and understood all my feelings, because of him I was able to get back the life I had. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2000/jan/03/highway-angels-instrumental-in-saving-pair/

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][592639].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 12, 2012

Professional, smart, knowledgeable, kind, excellent- results Doctor. Dr. Calvert made my crooked nose look great and absolutely natural: after spending most of my life with a crooked nose and experiencing difficulty in breathing I went to Dr. Calvert for evaluation. His staff is extremely professional, friendly and made me feel welcomed and genuinely cared for right away. Dr. Calvert really likes what he does and it shows through his work. He is a talented doctor who cares about his patients and the people who work for him. My nose surgery went great and Dr. Calvert and his staff followed up with me after the surgery regularly to ensure I was healing ok and doing well. 10 months after the surgery my nose looks natural, cute and I am very happy with the result. If I need any type of plastic surgery in the future, I would not think twice-I am definitely going back to Dr. Calvert. I recommend him highly as an exceptional plastic surgeon in So Cal and in the US.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][592638].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 12, 2011

Dr. Calvert performed my secondary rhinoplasty only 5 weeks ago and I am already thrilled with the results - my new nose is truly stunning! I found his honest and direct demeanor very comforting. He is very approachable, highly intelligent, very thorough, very patient with all of my questions and concerns, and very understanding as to how I was feeling as a dejected and apprehensive patient. My surgery went extremely well and was more extensive than expected, but the outcome has been a dream come true both medically and cosmetically. Dr. Calvert is a perfectionist, he constantly strives for better outcomes and is always adjusting his techniques to that end. He is the leader in his field and driving the future of rhinoplasty. My experience with him is proof of that - he has changed my life. Dr. Calvert and his staff set a new standard in plastic surgery and patient care. He is truly an excellent surgeon and the whole team thrives on the happiness of their patients. Superb!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][592637].votes_count ]]