Ratings for Dr. Bruce Carruthers

I was a patient of Dr. Carruthers in 1989-91, or 92, diagnosed then with FM/CFS. Having managed through diet and lifestyle change reasonably well since, I am now experiencing some significant symptoms after a few years of extreme stress. Can someone please tell me who might be as good as Dr. Carruthers in Vancouver, Vancouver Island, or the Gulf Islands? I have been put through a range of tests for MG, thyroid, diabetes, etc, and all are negative (as I expected), and now they are testing for MS, brain tumor, etc. I am fairly certain this is FE/ CFS back with a vengeance. Any leads appreciated, since the university year is about to reboot. many thanks! Beth Carruthers

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

I saw Dr Carruthers many years ago when I suspected I had M.E. I was right. I now need to get CPP benefits as I am now severely disabled with ME. I need records to prove I was ill with ME back at that time. If someone could help me in this regard I would very much appreciate it. Louise Ramage

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

Dr C was and is the best in his field. Although he was always running behind..his patients allowed that because we knew he was his best and our time would come. I miss him but wish him well. Does anyone know where one would find his patient records.I can be emailed at willenhoward@hotmail.com Thankx

flag | Submitted October 15, 2010

Dr. Bruce Carruthers is officially retired. At the age of 75, he retired from practice on 05.16.08. Although he had previously "retired" at age 65 in 1998, Dr. Carruthers decided to return to practice for a few more years. These days, our beloved Dr. Carruthers is quietly enjoying life - while pursuing his specialized medical research, and is also in the preliminary stages of writing a book for publication. While there are those in traditional medicine who fail to support the diagnosis and/or recommended treatments prescribed by Dr. Carruthers, these consistently high ratings and supportive comments demonstrate the high caliber of medical service that he provided for many clients - particularly for those who "slipped through the cracks". Dr. Carruthers was a tremendous asset to the Western Health Care system.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2010

I saw Dr Carruthers in 1997 to confirm my family Drs suspected diagnosis of CFS/ME. Lucky for me my family Dr had a physician friend who had the condition so he never so much as insinuated I was malingering. Dr Carruthers wrote several lengthly letters to my comany's insurance providers explaining the condition . At the office visit he was very professional and I felt confident in his findings and advice. I would have assumed that 12 years later he is retired but I see posts on here from as recent as last year. Thank you Dr Carruthers for all your work for those of us with this mysterious condition that leaves us "looking fine" but feeling like zombies. I have improved tremendously thanks to Dr advice but still find everyday a mission in coping...trying to satisfy my employer, family and have a fulfilled life.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2009

My mom started seeing him a few yrs back when no other doctor could figure out what was wrong with her, telling her everything was in her head or she was just lying.. I have no doubt Dr,Carruthers saved my moms life, if she hadnt died from being as sick as she was and malnourished, she would have killed herself sooner or later, because of the lack of care from other docs! anyhow, she has not been able to find another doc in 2 yrs, that will treat her with respect or even believe her or the letters from Dr.Carruthers, so my question is... does anyone know of another Doctor, that she could see? someone that understands Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue... She is desperately in need of a good, caring and understanding Doc... If anyone has any Info that help me to help my mom, please feel free to email me at mrs.ayeshakhan@hotmail.com

flag | Submitted July 6, 2009

The best doctor I have ever encountered (as someone with chronic illness I have seen more than my share). Kind; compassionate; listens to and believes his patients no matter what test results may fail to uncover; extremely competent, learned and experienced; thorough and persistent, a veritable Sherlock Holmes when it comes to diagnosis; extremely supportive and protective. Patients never complain about being kept waiting because they know that when their turn comes, he will be just as generous with his time, patience and efforts with them too. I wish Dr. Carruthers could be observed by every upcoming physician as an example of how to best embody this profession. The best case for cloning I can think of.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2008

Very nice doctor, calm, patient, actually gives you time to talk and ask questions. Very knowledgeable and reasonable. Doesn't seem into handing out prescriptions without a good reason. I totally recommend him, particularly for diagnosis and investigation of chronic fatigue.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2007

I wish Dr. Carruthers would never retire or could be cloned. Old school doc, but has actual skills to diagnose without relying on fancy tests. Has made incredible contributions to the field of FM and CFS and will be remembered for generations. He is NEVER on time, but it doesn't matter! He is also incredibly thorough and gives you the best work-up you have ever had. Plus he listens to his patients and truly cares...something that is rare these days. Dr. Carruthers is a gem!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2007

A REAL doctor. The kind that is rapidly disappearing in BC. Takes his time, listens, asks appropriate questions. Diagnosed me correctly. And a very nice man as well with nice manners. A true gem.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2007