Ratings for Dr. Avril Fitzgerald

I found this physician to be extremely condescending and rude. Very non-nonchalant attitude toward my care, and didn't really seem interested in the issues I was faced with. Please seek other medical attention from any other rheumatologist

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

I found Dr Fitzgerald to be warm and friendly and caring on my most recent visits to her office. My examination was thorough and I was diagnosed with Sjogrens. She was patient and listened to what I had to say. She took the time to find me a contact for a Support Group that may help also. I feel less stressed now that I have a good Doctor who reassured me I have no need to worry about any serious concerns at this time. She did not make me feel like I was wasting her time at all. She was very nice.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

I had to wait 18 months to see this doctor and found her to be very rude and cold and she rushed thru my appointment (less than 20 minutes!!). She refused to hear my past medical history (back pain started over 30 years ago) and instead blamed my back pain on my current weight and refused to look any further. In fact she sent a note to my doctor telling her to "put me on a diet" and to "remove all access to pain meds" as it was “my doing”. She never looked at the MRI or Xray results at all. She dismissed my doctor's initial diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis and instead said I was suffering from damaged spine caused by the extra weight. I was so disappointed.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

I was misdiagnosed by this Doctor. For me this means an extra year of pain and therapy. She had the very same data available to her with which my GP made the correct diagnosis. Undoubtedly, she would have diagnosed me correctly if the symptoms jumped out at her like frightened horses. Doctors need continuous education. They also need periodic re-examination of their skills. Medicine and biology are advancing at a great rate. Human being age, and forget important things. Some say that we have an unfair advantage in the internet to voice our opinions. I think the Internet only barely evens the odds.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2015

I did not have a great experience with her. She was on time I do give her credit for that. But She barely looked me in the eye the hour I was there. Through out the appointment she asked me some of the same questions 4-5 times. I feel like she really wasn't listening to me. She was rude and got upset if I wasn't able to answer one of her questions. I feel like she didn't get a full/complete history from me either. I would try to discuss things and she would cut me off. She is sending me for further workup so I hope this was worth my time. After leaving that appointment I was very discouraged. Fingers crossed something comes of this. All in all I would not have picked her as my specialist.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2015

I would never have chosen you as my specialist. My doctor did . You're probably very good at what you but since I didn't fit your criteria I was left hanging for months. I would never recommend you.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2015

She seemed thorough, and did care, but I can see why some would find her cold and rude. As a descriptor, I would say she is very clinical. She is retired, but described herself to be as a "waitlist rheumatologist" who assesses people on the waitlist for referral to an appropriate rheumatologist.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

This Doctor should retire. Idiots wah PHDS exist and she is here to prove me right! Diagnosed me with fibromyagia and everyone knows that I have lupus as I have arthritis everywhere. Not through and very careless. Her bedside manner sucks and she couldn't care less about her patients, if you want to wait 3 years for something completely pointless this is a good way

flag | Submitted January 10, 2015

Curt, rude, not communicative. Raised her voice and hostile. Very defensive when I wanted to say what I had read, and unwilling to engage in dialogue. My appointment was on time. Very punctual going in and out of the examining room.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

My appointment with Dr Fitzgerald was amazing. Her staff were very helpful and I was taken into a consulting room before my scheduled appointment. Dr Fitzgerald was early and had taken time to review my file prior to my consult. We did review the my history and the two questions I had to ask, she provided the information without me asking! I found her very knowledgable about my disease, and her ability to tap into research was terrific and very helpful. She was extremely thorough in her physical examination of me and by ruling out other diseases, confirmed my family doctor's diagnosis of Polymyalgia Rheumatica. She explained the protocol of care for my PMR and I was satisfied with that. I would have to say Dr Fitzgerald is one of the nicest specialist I have had the privilege of meeting.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2014