Ratings for Dr. David S. Harvey

After reading the reviews here, I can kind of understand a bit of their feelings. I have been seeing Dr Harvey for 4 or more years. As psychiatrists are for prescribing the medication, one should not expect him to be like a -psychological - appointment. He works with a collaborative set of psychologist to determine the appropriate medication (especially when first starting to see him) .. he is caring, however, his appointments are mostly centered around how the medication is doing, any recent problems , and overall feeling in general. Aside from these basics, the details are supposed to be handled with the psychologist(s) that works with him. I myself learned this once, when I accidently missed an appointment, I apologized to him and he said "oh it doesn't matter you will just be billed the 50 dollar fee " so at first It kinda hurt my feelings. However, I continued seeing him because he absolutely knows his stuff, and someone in need of help, he will absolutely help. He has my severe social anxiety under control, as well as my general anxiety, along with my depression (well as much as depression can be helped) . I go to my appointment, I let him lead with the questions, and I answer (without extreme detail I keep it to the point) and he actually does listen and has suggestions. He is very open minded, it is just important to remember to focus only on the main specific problems that can help him decide what potential medication(s) may help- while also consulting with the therapist that one sees previously. This is simply my experience, my opinion. Btw, he did NOT get fired from Brookwood, what I had read in a review . That's simply untrue. I am forever grateful for Dr. Harvey. He will actually help someone with severe anxiety, unlike a doctor I had seen at the other location, she would rather me deal with my debilitating anxiety vs prescribing appropriate, life changing medication.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr. Harvey was extremely unprofessional & judgemental. He treated my daughter like a criminal after she divulged personal information & messed up her prescription medications accordingly. He was rude and arrogant. He did not appear to care that we were both upset. He just suggested we find another doctor if we didn't like it...which is exactly what we are going to do. I would not recommend anyone with sensitive mental issues to go to this harsh, insensitive, extremely judgemental man!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

This doctor was VERY unprofessional. After being an hour late to my appointment, he wrote the dosage wrong & refused to rewrite it. Then he saw my daughter & was extremely judgemental. She told him in confidence that she had quit smoking marijuana & how difficult it had been. Be proceeded to tell her he didn't believe her & then took her off her Xanax that she had been on for the last 5 years & the Adderall she had been taking for 2 years. He assumed she was some sort of addict and couldn't be trusted with medicine she truly needed. When I told him that she had social anxiety & had seen a gastroenterologist for this for 3 years & Couldn't go without her Xanax all he said was "I'm the doctor & if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else!" He also said I should quit enabling her! Really??? I am so offended by this comment. I only do what's best for mu daughter. If you want a cold, uncaring doctor that won't listen to you, Doctor Harvey is your guy!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Discharged my husband from a PHP at Brookwood after a 5 minute consultation 4 days into the 3 week program. Sent a copy of his chart to his referring doctor indicating he had requested to be discharged. It's hard enough to get people to ask for help, and then this is how they get treated when they do!? No wonder mental health has such a stigma to it. The "professionals" who treat it make it worse!! AND, he gave my husband his file to carry to another part of the office without verifying it was him. Still trying to find a patient advocate to complain about that. Terrible.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

Well I can't really speak to how Dr. Harvey is since they left me waiting in his office for 45 minutes. I finally had to leave, as I have a job. MY time is just as valuable as his and as a courtesy they should have at least told me he was behind/busy, whatever instead of leaving me in there to rot. Highly Unprofessional.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2016

Rude bordering on abusive. Horrible person. Should not have a license to practice on humans. (Wouldn't take my dog to him either. )

flag | Submitted April 2, 2016

Was verbally abusive, rude, uncaring. Horrible person. Should not be allowed to have a license.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2016

Like Doctor Grayson Doctor Harvey has been reprimanded by the medical board for not keeping up with his required continuing education.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

Shawn Harvey and Grayson and Associates was a terrible experience having major depression and anxiety. He was more concerned about doing his 10 minute office visit and moving on to his next appointment. He didn't have any compassion with what I was dealing with. My wife was asking him questions at one of my office visits and he just stood up and started walking out the door while my wife was still trying to explain to him what I had been going thru the last month !! My STD carrier called him to ask him about my progress and to get my medical records. He would not return their call so they had to talk to a RN. I have the letter from my STD carrier explaining to me what they had to do to get their required info so they could make a judgement on my STD. The office staff were the most unfriendly and least helpful I have ever dealt with. We left Grayson and went to UAB to get help. Night and day difference between the two. I have more info but the 1000 character limit will not let me go on.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

Time is money, time is monsy, time is money.......

flag | Submitted March 21, 2014

Dr. David S. Harvey's Credentials

• Vanderbilt Univ Sch Of Med, Nashville Tn 37232 (Grad. 1991)

Medical Mutual Of Ohio