Ratings for Dr. John M. Hilinski

I have been a patient of Dr. Hillinski's for just under 10 years starting in 2007. I initially began seeing him for Botox and then in 2011 had a conservative nose job, a replacement of a chin implant, an upper eye lift and lipo of the double chin area. I recently began having Dr. H. inject filler into the under eye area . My experience has been very positive with John. Firstly, he is extremely personable trustworthy and approachable. I never felt he was in it for the money. He always put what might be best for me ahead of suggesting procedures to make more money. There were some instances where I inquired about a possible procedure that he told me emphatically I did not need. But even in those instances I always felt the choice was ultimately up to me. Dr. H. is also not the sort of plastic surgeon that will suggest getting procedures done. What I mean by that is, based on my nearly 10 years of experience, it will always be up to YOU to inquire about getting something new done. He will never say, for example, "Ever consider getting your nose done?" That is not his style. You will never feel like you are with a salesman trying to up-sell you. As for his work: his signature approach and style is conservative and natural. All of my work is almost impossible to detect. I tell people all the time what I have had stuff done and everyone is always stunned because they cannot tell I have had any work done. I am 52 and people always assume I am in my mid 30s. I get a kick out of telling people my age. Jaws always drop agape. I get a thrill out of blowing people's minds! And I do! In some instances he has gone more conservative than I had originally wanted -- only to later be glad that he did. Of course no one is perfect. There have been instances when I have not been perfectly satisfied with something --- and Dr. H. happily made necessary refinements until I achieved what I had originally wanted. I never felt uneasy saying: "This is not quite what I want so can we work on this a little more?" I knew he would be very cool about it. In fact, my experience with Dr. H was that I was really in a partnership with him. I was an active co-participant in designing and making aesthetic improvements to my look. At this point I live in NYC. but I still come to S.D. to see Dr. H. There are many plastic surgeons in NYC. but I trust Dr. H. and I like him. I know he will never give me stuff I do not need or will not look good on me to make a buck. I also like knowing Dr. H is a Harvard Medical School graduate with a residency and internship in facial plastic surgery from a top medical institution. I know I am in good hands with Dr. Hillinski. I can recommend him without reservation and do so enthusiastically!

flag | Submitted April 28, 2016

I have been very pleased by the quality of service and work by Dr. Hilinski. He is meticulous with his work, friendly, and very punctual. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

I love my nose so much I can't even describe my gratitude. 1. REVISION - I came to Dr. Hilinski after 3 botched nose jobs, leaving my nose thin, crooked, along with other issues. It was so ugly and difficult to work with that at that point, I wasn't shooting for a pretty nose, I just wanted to look remotely normal/natural which I didn't even think was possible. A year later, my nose looks like the best possible version of my original nose and fits my face perfectly. 2. PRICE - A steal of a price, despite it being a difficult case. Having paid for three previous surgeries, and after getting a $25K quote from another LA doctor, I couldn't believe how affordable Dr. Hilinski's services were especially considering all the follow up care over the last 1+ year has been included. It was 60% less and I got a Harvard trained specialist. The consultation was also free. 3. TECHNIQUE - Being that my skin was thinned out from multiple surgeries and all the cartilage from both my ears and septum has already been harvested, other surgeons told me that to repair my nose we would have to harvest cartilage from my rib and tissue from my scalp. That would've not only been extremely painful, but would've left me with more scars. Imagine how relieved I was when Dr. Hilinski told me he was going to use cadaver cartilage. It's expensive for doctors to purchase cadaver cartilage and I needed a lot so honestly, all things considered I don't even know how they could've made any money on me. 4. MANNERS - Having been on multiple consultations where I paid upwards of $250, Dr. Hilinski was the only doctor who didn't make me feel rushed through my questions, took the time to address all my concerns, and has always been patient in being thorough with me. 5. ACCURACY - Unlike my previous doctors, Dr. Hilinski gave me photo-shopped depictions of what to expect. More than a year later when I compare the depictions with the after photos, they look identical. He gave me exactly the nose he depicted. 6. EDUCATION - I never knew how important aftercare over the first 2 years of recovery was because no one ever took the time to educate me. Dr. Hilinski educated me on it's importance, how to change my habits in handling my nose, etc. to ensure proper healing. In retrospect, I can't believe how poorly I mishandled my nose after the previous surgeries because I didn't know better. This time my nose healed much better and the scar even looks less noticeable because Dr. Hilinski recommended a great scar cream. 7. FOLLOW UP - Typically I only had 1-2 follow ups in the past. Dr. Hilinski is the only doctor who has continued to follow up with me over a year later, regularly tracking my healing progression and making tiny non-invasive tweaks here and there to further improve the subtle details. I loved my nose after the surgery but over the last year of follow up, it has continued to get better; we're not even done yet with the final tweaks and I'm looking forward to my next appointment as it keeps getting better every time I come in. 8. NATURAL - My closest friends, my bff, and even my mom tell me they think it looks the same and they can't tell the difference when they look at me. But then I show them the before and afters side by side and they're blown away at the changes. The changes are dramatic to me but subtle enough that people can't put their finger on what it was I did. They just think I got prettier but don't suspect plastic surgery. It's certainly a girly girl nose and makes me feel a lot prettier.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

I came to doctor Hilinski about 2 years ago. We consulted on my Rhinoplasty, however I didn't have the funds to afford it at that moment. A year later I was ready to proceed with the surgery, he brushed up on my file and knew my vision. He was honest with me and told me all the realities and what to expect of the process. He was great with scheduling and rescheduling my appointments as necessary and was very understanding. He did a phenomenal job on my nose and I honestly had never been after after I finally got off all the castings and everything on my nose. My confidence rose and one of my dreams finally came true. He is a fantastic surgeon and really takes the time to understand your questions and concerns on the spot. I recommend him to anyone in need of surgery. People come to him from all over the globe for a reason. Any reviews you may see that are low ratings are the arrogant human beings that expect more than what their bodies or faces can even handle that are honestly asking for too much to expect. He is straight forward and an excellent surgeon. Thank you Dr. Hilinski for changing my life.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

Have been going to Dr. Hilinski for years, he is excellent and he and his staff are always professional and kind. In fact, I've moved away from San Diego but always make a yearly appointment when I come to town to visit family!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2015

Dr. Hilinksi did chin lipo on me. I had never had any sort of cosmetic surgery, or any type of surgery, before seeing Dr. Hilinski and so was nervous when I arrived for my consultation. From the moment I walked into the office I felt at ease. The cozy waiting room and extremely friendly surgical nurses who met me made me feel very comfortable. Dr. Hilinksi was very good with explaining my procedure, answering all my questions and talking me through all my nerves. The Hilinkski staff was amazing from the start of my surgery and until my last post op appointment. I am very pleased with my results. I had a great experience at Dr. Hilinkis's and would gladly return in the future!

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Surgery 11/19/14 Task: rebuild right nostril after basal cell cancer surgery left a notch, widening the nostril opening in an unsightly manner. Dr. Hilinski was one of 3 surgeons I interviewed. I selected him for the method he chose. Rather than just sewing it together, leaving a smaller and unbalanced visual effect, or just putting filler in, which the original dermatologist offered, he carefully evaluated me, shot photos, and proposed graft surgery using ear tissue. The other factors that led me to select Dr H were: stand-alone dedicated surgery right on premises with its own parking, competent associates (whose names begin with A and C!), and his educational background and website. On Nov 19, the anesthesiologist lightly anesthetized me, and my nose was repaired in a 2 hour operation. The nose pain lasted only a few days, but the ear hurt much longer. At the one month mark, I could see that my nose had been restored to a normal shape. Other than a slight color difference, the surgery was done with such skill that no one even notices now, 4 months after the operation. The ear pain has begun to subside. I was very happy at every step of the process, and highly relieved that my normal appearance has been restored. He also has a radiant personality and gives the patient confidence that everything will turn out right, and it did.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

If you have very large ears and I don't mean ears that stick out, Dr Hilinski is the doctor to make your ears smaller. It is virtually impossible to find doctors in the US that do ear reduction (macrotia) surgery. But Dr Hilinski is a master at it.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2014

Dr. Hilinski did an amazing job on my daughter's sinus issues . I am so happy that we traveled the three hours to San diego. He is the best surgeon thank you linda kapitz

flag | Submitted September 16, 2014

Dr. John M. Hilinski's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Cantonese

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 1995)
  • University of California San Diego

• Fellowship for American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Providence
Workers Comp

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have been a patient of Dr. Hillinski's for just under 10 years starting in 2007. I initially began seeing him for Botox and then in 2011 had a conservative no..."

April 28, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have been very pleased by the quality of service and work by Dr. Hilinski. He is meticulous with his work, friendly, and very punctual. I would highly recomm..."

January 29, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I love my nose so much I can't even describe my gratitude. 1. REVISION - I came to Dr. Hilinski after 3 botched nose jobs, leaving my nose thin, crooked, alo..."

January 28, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "The only person I would let do any procedure, filler or surgery. Wonderful and conservative. Always very natural looking."

January 27, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I came to doctor Hilinski about 2 years ago. We consulted on my Rhinoplasty, however I didn't have the funds to afford it at that moment. A year later I was rea..."

November 2, 2015
  • Suite has been updated from "None" to "null".

August 12, 2015
  • Website has been updated from "http://drhilinski.com" to "http://www.drhilinski.com/". Phone Number has been updated from "+16192963223" to "(619) 296-3223".

August 12, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Have been going to Dr. Hilinski for years, he is excellent and he and his staff are always professional and kind. In fact, I've moved away from San Diego but al..."

August 4, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Hilinksi did chin lipo on me. I had never had any sort of cosmetic surgery, or any type of surgery, before seeing Dr. Hilinski and so was nervous when I arr..."

April 14, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Surgery 11/19/14 Task: rebuild right nostril after basal cell cancer surgery left a notch, widening the nostril opening in an unsightly manner. Dr. Hilin..."

March 13, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "If you have very large ears and I don't mean ears that stick out, Dr Hilinski is the doctor to make your ears smaller. It is virtually impossible to find docto..."

November 22, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Hilinski did an amazing job on my daughter's sinus issues . I am so happy that we traveled the three hours to San diego. He is the best surgeon thank ..."

September 16, 2014
  • First Name changed from "John" to "John M."

October 20, 2013