Ratings for Dr. Michael R. Thompson

Awful! Do not waste your time and I mean waste as you'll have to wait hours to be seen because he is always running late. I waited with my son 2hrs past my appointment, only to be "greeted" by a flustered, unprofessional and miserable man. He was rude to his staff when they offered help and made a very unprofessional comment in front of me due to his frustration in running behind. He was of NO help for my sick son, in fact would not listen to what I had to say and was very accusatory and made me leave his office in tears. I have never in my life as a patient felt as unheard and disrespected and left very worried about my child.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

Dr. Thompson is an excellent doctor. Courteous, knowledgeable of both traditional medicine and tropical medicine, he has been our medical care giver for five years. We couldn't ask for better care. His referrals were timely, followed up on by his wife, Sandra, and both of them kept in touch to know how treatment was progressing, and if there was anything they could do to assist. It's too bad there are people in the clinic who want to play politics, as it has caused us to loss an excellent doctor, and caused Dr. Thompson and his wife unwarranted havoc. Unfortunately, even though we lose an excellent physician, the "problem" still remains in the office. What will Island Health Authority do about that? They sure bungled this situation by not applying mediation.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013

If you want to deal with "MR. Michael Thompson" who in my opinion practices medicine like MR Conrad Murray ... Please beware as you may end up like the King of Pop ! MR. Thompson is in LaLa land & will prescribe extremely dangerous narcotics to people who do NOT need to be on Also his wife is totally paranoid and has accused many innocent women of having an affair with him. Legitimate MD's have an oath to their patients and husbands have an oath to their wife's. The TWO cannot be combined within the same medical setting. Obviously MR. Thompson is a "Hen Pecked Husband" ! He lets his paranoid wife run the show. How weak !

flag | Submitted August 20, 2013

I was impressed in my first meeting with Dr. T. However, after a family member developed chronic health challenges I was unimpressed with his solution; pills and more pills; he would not listen nor it seemed interested in the patient. Thankfully another practioner was available to take over this file. Turns out it was a life threatening illness requiring specialist intervention. Myself I continued to see Dr. T. This changed the day he yelled at me during a follow up appointment, scheduled by him, where he had no idea who I was or why I was there. When I asked about this I received a monologue from him on the incompetence of his staff and coworkers (I deemed this inappropriate and switched doctors). I am unsure why VIHA has elected to not renew Dr.T's contract; but I support it fully.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2013

I have nothing against Dr. Thompson, however - all the people who claim that VIHA needs to tell us "why" they are not renewing his contract need to realize that it's a privacy and personnel issue. Why not just ask Dr. Thompson? I highly suspect, though cannot confirm it has a lot to do with his wife. If you read through these ratings - it would appear that he's had to move around quite a bit - ask yourselves this question.... "Why?" If Dr. Thompson could just practise as a doctor without his wife working in the office - I'm sure this would be a non-issue... then again - ask yourselves about the turn-over of staff. These are all things to consider. If Dr. Thompson has nothing to hide - let him come out publicly and state why his contract is not being renewed. VIHA did not make this decision lightly.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2013

Dr. Michael Thompson is by far the BEST general practitioner I have ever had the opportunity rely on ......... Michael's contract will not be renewed after October /13 .. VIHA is making a monumental error ....... Dr. Thompson must be supported ......... as seen by these ratings there is no reason for VIHA's action other than Political...... Such a fine doc./person should not be treated as VIHA is treating Dr. Thompson ....... Michael needs our support !!!!!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2013

Outstanding family doctor. I first met Michael Thompson in Europe where I served as the Assistant Judge Advocate General until my retirement to Pender Island in 2000. He was the senior Canadian doctor at a large NATO airbase and was highly regarded and sought after for his unassuming but very professional manner. He is extremely knowledgeable, personable, approachable, caring and compassionate - quite simply the best personal physician I have met in my 67 years.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2013

I had to wait a month to get an appointment. He is disorganized and thoughtless. He does not follow through on what he says he will do. I do not trust this man and am willing to go through the trouble of leaving the island to access medical care. The staff is wonderful except for his wife who is probably more mindless than he is.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2012

Excellent service in every way. Interested and sensitive to my needs and condition. Personable and open. Supportive of traditional as well as modern medicine philosophies. The best physician I have ever had in my 68 years.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2011

Yet another GEM on Pender Island .. Won't go into details but Michael has helped us a lot -- we are very appreciative -- thank you!!!

flag | Submitted March 11, 2010