Ratings for Dr. Carl Shearer

Very compassionate doctor. Very concerned about the pain you are undergoing. He gave me a cortisone shot w hich alleviated some of my shoulder pain. He is the ONLY doctor who ordered an MRI for my shoulder. I have total confidence and trust that he will eradicate my shoulder pain.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2018

Very very RUDE. Will not ever see him. Very short and curt with me. Don’t know why they allow these kind of doctors to practise because obviously he hates his job.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2018

Dr. Carl Shearer is not only the rudest doctor i have met but one of the rudest professionals i have met. I was referred to him by my GP for an ankle injury. He did absolutely nothing for me. Just told me to stay off my feet for 4 months and when i came back to him with the same pain and no change he said to quit my job or go to work in pain every day. He would not refer me to a surgeon and did whatever he could to mess my claim up with worksafe. It took me 2 years to fight worksafe and i seeked out my own surgeon in which i am much better after surgery even though i still have complications but i am walking better and back to work. Stay as far away from this man as you can and get another referral. He has a god complex and feels you are beneath him. I ended up seeing another sports medicine doctor as well.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2018

I went to see Dr. Shearer a little over years ago. I had an ankle injury from dance and had no answers to why I was experiencing such pain. I was referred to him by my family doctor. I explained to him all the treatment I had already tried, including physio. He was short and rude with me. It felt as though he thought I was being over dramatic about my situation. At this point I was frustrated and exhausted that I couldn't get an answer on what was the cause. My physical training has taught me to work through pain. So, when I was desperate enough to try something else, I was taken back by the fact that he did not seem to 1. believe me and 2. not even try to help find an answer. Instead, he sent me back to physio for 6 more months! After 6 months of work with the 2 amazing physiotherapists, they had no answers and could not help me. I was given a letter to give to Dr. Shearer. Because he had no answer and felt no need to look into it further, he said I could either quit or take strong pain killers and work through the pain. What he was really saying is "suck it up if you want to keep dancing". Pretty awful answer I would say. He then got me in touch with a surgeon. I had asked if surgery would be a necessary option-his answer was along the lines of "if i wanted to go that route". My MRI only showed scar tissue, but no other visible signs on injury. So I can see how it would be a tough call. But those responses are not good enough for a specialist at his level. I didn't feel confident with surgery as we had no proof it would help. In the end I decided to operated on my ankle and remove the scar tissue to see if it would help alleviate the pain as I was out of ideas. Coming out of surgery, I was informed that I had a torn FHL that did not show up in my MRI scan. Long story short, I felt I had no support or answers from this doctor. And not that a doctor needs to show compassion to do their job well. But, he did not help me AT ALL. I can't say how he is a doctor today, but I thought I would share my experience as it had a huge impact on not only my career, but being able to function at a basic physical level. I'm talking pain when standing, walking, swimming etc. I don't normally post comments like this as I don't like to write a poor review for someone that maybe I just had a personal bad experience with. But after seeing these reviews, I feel it's important to share my story as well. I do hope he has changed and more recent patients have had a better experience with him, as he has a wealth of knowledge and personal experience to share with his patients.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2018

Dr Shearer and staff were very helpful and efficient. His advocacy shortened wait time from two years to three weeks. We are very grateful.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2018

Not sure why there isn’t a rating for attitude because this guy is terribly rude. Very impatient and has a harsh and condescending tone towards his patients. Despite being impatient and cutting you off frequently if you talk about your pain for more than 3 seconds, there’s still a wait time before he actually sees you.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2018

I went to see Dr. Shearer for my ankle problem. He was VERY IGNORANT and wouldn't listen to what I'd say. My mom, who isn't super fluent in English, tried to explain to him what I was experiencing. He just cut her off. He told me I was being overprotective about my injury and referred me to a physiotherapist. 3 weeks later, I saw him again for a checkup. Hoping I would get some explanation from him, I patiently waited for him. 15 minutes later, he finally came in. I told him my story again, and he checked my ankle out. After a thorough examination, he didn't tell me ANYTHING USEFUL and just told me to keep doing physio. At this point, I was getting impatient. So, my mom and i took matters into our own hands and got an MRI. I was told to see him again, so I did. This time when I saw him, I had a list of symptoms and questions that I wrote, hoping I'd get an answer. No. I did not. On the phone, he told me to bring the CD with my scan in it, so I did, AND HE DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT IT. Again, he didnt tell me anything useful, and told me to see him in another month. He had no treatment or information for me. At this point, we've stopped seeing Dr. Shearer because he's a waste of time and money. Wouldn't recommend him. At all.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2018

Rude, intimidating, arrogant, and the personality of a gnat! I am going for my 3rd appt with him, I have been kept waiting 15 min each time. You can hear him speak down to other patients he is seeing and it is very disrespectful and unprofessional. When he asks you something and you try to answer him, if he doesn’t like what you are saying he interrupts you and says “That’s not what I asked you!” Unfortunately not all doctors have a bedside manner and this guy is definitely one of them. A pompous ASS!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Shearer because of severe back pain. I found him to be a pleasant and understanding individual. I've read some very negative reviews here but cannot understand how it is possible that Dr. Shearer is the "worst" for some patients and the "best" for others. I've seen him only once but he did say that if I needed to visit again he will be happy to see me again. An all around pleasant man in my opinion.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

I've now seen Dr. Shearer for 2 seperate injuries, one over 8 years ago and one recently. Both experiences were great. He gets to the point and respects your time.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017