Ratings for Dr. H Patel

I can't comment to his abilities in the ER room, particularly at the Lakeshore General Hospital, one of the most deliberately underfunded and understaffed hospitals in Quebec with physicians and nurses who usually are overworked as well (you can thank the PQ for that...) so I'm not really surprised to read about his abrupt and curt manner in the ER situation room. I can however comment on his skills at his private practice office. Our family has been seeing Dr. Patel since the mid 1970s, I think my first visit with him was when I was 5 or so and I'm in my early 40s now. He's one of the few doctors who will take the time out to truly listen to you and takes the time out to do so. The best doctors are also somewhat intuitive and Dr. Patel falls under that category along with having a rigorous scientifically oriented mind. He's getting up there in age nowadays and yeah, I guess he could have taken retirement a long time ago and be hanging out on some golf course in Florida by now but he stays on because he actually cares about his patients and is worried about the state of health care in Quebec now with these inexperienced, immature medical residents who are running the show and have a revolving-door attitude to patients and seem to care more about their statuses as doctors than as real healers. They just don't make them like this anymore.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2014

"Other doctors should be like him" ??? Are you kidding me ? If it wasn't for security that prevented me from jumping on him while he's smiling and asking for money prior of doing a medical procedure, I would of being in jail right now. Patient assessment & treatment is part of your duty as well as saving lives and not holding an emergency procedure because we are Americans and had to show YOU right away our insurance policy as the patient was semi-conscious.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2014

My elderly parents went to the ER at Lakeshore for an emergency that happened to my mother, and were unfortunately put in the care of Dr. Patel. Although he followed proper protocol and did the correct procedure, he treated them in a very abrupt and condescending manner (I was there and witnessed it myself), did not answer their questions, and left them wondering what on earth did they do to deserve such shabby treatment, at a time when they needed reassurance and gentle explanations while my mother was so afraid of what was happening to her. I cannot comment on his competencies, but his "bedside manners" were extremely poor that day.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2014

I went to the ER with my ex boyfriend who had a calapsed lung. My exbf's parents were in Europe for work (for 2 years) and for some reason his medicare card was stopped as if he has been gone for two years, (even though he was in school and working while living with his aunt). Dr. Petal told us he would not put a tub in if he wasn't paid upfront in cash, he didn't care if he lived or died. In his country he would have the cash in his hand before doing anything and he was sick of not being paid. My father had to come in to pay for it and Dr. Petal threatened that is the paiment bounced (it was put on Visa) he would pull the tub out of my ex's lung. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOCTOR!!!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2013

Dr Patel has been my family doctor for 35 years. He is a great doctor that has immense experience and instincts and a great sense of humor (that not everybody gets from some of the comments. His dedication to his practice and is proximity to patients make him a true family doctor. He knows how I am doing just by looking at me when I enter his office...

flag | Submitted November 5, 2012

he is one of the best doctors, I hope he never retires. Other doctors need to learn from him.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2012

un médecin unique. D'une écoute généreuse comme je n'ai jamais vu. Il m'a été référé par une famille complète dont il est le médecin depuis 30 ans. Comment le remplacer lorsqu'il prendra sa retraite? Qui prendra 40 minutes pour m'écouter et me conseiller avec sagesse comme lui ? Merci Dr Patel

flag | Submitted June 27, 2011

Was a excellent Doctor, but now is overwelmed! He seems tired to do this job....should be retired.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2011

This doctor didn't even look at my CT results while I was in emergency. (He did tell me the results were normal). My own GP obtained the results and now I must see a neurologists. Is that NORMAL??? Dr. Patel dismissed all my symptoms as being imaginary.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2010

First saw Dr. Patel this weekend in the ER at Lakeshore General. He bandaged up my hand and did a good job. He did crack quite a few jokes but that was okay by me as I was not in much pain, just bleeding lots. However, I agree that if you are in pain, you don't want to hear any silly joking around. When I first saw him, he seemed a little slow on the draw, he kinda shuffles 'round, but he was gentle and kind. So, I'd say that he was quite helpful to me. I don't know how knowledgeable he is...these are just my first impressions, but, since I must...here's a 3.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2008