Ratings for Dr. Mark D. Erasmus

I’m not sure this ‘neurosurgeon’ should be practicing with patients. The bottom of my yard shoes are more pleasant than he is. His bedside manners are much to be desired. It seems to me admin would be a much better fit. I waited three months for an appointment just for him to tell me “what are you doing here? You need to be at pain and spine” then WALKED OUT THE DOOR. Pain and spine is who referred me in the first place, as I am ineligible for injections. I felt like he minimized my diagnosis and is incredibly unprofessional. I wouldn’t recommend this guy to ANYONE.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2018

I heard he has a high infection rate. Boyfriend got infection in his back after surgery and this doc refused to go in to do a clean out and get a specimen to know what bacteria they were dealing with for a week! 2 different ID doctors kept trying to convince him they needed to know what bacteria they were dealing with. He lost at least 6 months of his life with many other complications along the way, so he has still not rehabilitated. Still has pain down the leg . DO NOT GO TO HIM. Infection is not good even though Erasmus said it could cause fusion of the spine which he was hoping for. Hmmm

flag | Submitted May 18, 2018

I had a metal plate put in my neck in about 2003 for a whiplash by Dr. Mark Erasmus. I tried to talk to Dr Erasmus but he just didn't have much to say. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way because I wanted to feel like I was a friend of Dr Erasmus since I thought it might be less scary to have surgery by a doctor that liked me. Well the friend thing never happened and he didn't appreciate the huge hug I gave him after my first check up. He never became my friend or even had a friendly word to say to me. As it turns out , many years later, my neck has NEVER HURT AGAIN! He is a very skilled doctor. A great personality is not a prerequisite for being a GREAT NEUROSURGEON ! I will go to him again if need be and tell everyone what a great doctor he is.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2018

His assistant does most of the patient interaction ( which is poor at best ). He has the personality of a dead fish, on antidepressants. If you are really desperate, I suppose you can go to him.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

I went in to see Dr Erasmus to follow up with after getting an exam for a tumor. He was rather nonchalant about the way he discussed the issues with me and acted like if he was doing me a favor although he is supposed to be a paid professional. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone and I would caution you to please think carefully before making your decision because the bedside manner of this doctor is sick and he is not very professional about the way he treated me and I am going to see another Dr regarding my neurological disorders.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

My first time dealing with him, the night before surgery he came in, and did not hand, but flipped a business card at me, asking if I wanted the surgery or not. I opted for it. Then after rehab and home health care, from July to November, it seemed as though I was getting better, but lost the strength in my arms, falling out of bed and laying on the floor for four hours, until my wife found me. In November, I went back, and the hospital held me for five days until he came back from vaction in the Caribbean. When he visited the night before surgery, there were no pleasantries, just the first words out of his mouth were "I screwed up". He then proceeded to show me a crude print of my MRI, stating it was not a very good view. He fixed one rupture, but missed the other two, requiring him to go back in and do all three. Another month for me in rehab, getting out before Christmas. I told my Wife I could not let this slide, and am pursuing remedies to this whole horrible story. I thought it was strange, there were so many doctors visiting with me on my second stay in the hospital. We had so many horrible stays at the ER there until they diagnosed it properly, then longer to get it fixed properly. I am walking now, but I lost so much muscle and am so weak, it is going to take me a long time to recover. IMO, I lost six months of my life, and someone needs to be held accountable.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

I'm not even sure there is a doctor in the place. We waited for 2 months to see a neurosurgeon and the day of the appointment we were told we would be seeing a nurse. We we get there, there is a sign on the door saying the nurse was 30 minutes behind schedule. When we get in in the first thing she complained about was her staff failed to s hedule the appointment correctly. Then she glanced at the 5 MRI discs we brought and said she wasn't even going to look at the critical one. When I said she needed to, she quickly got defensive and said we needed to see someone else at another hospital because the neurosurgeon didn't know anything about brain aneurysms. We could come back when everything was resolved and the doctor would be happy to see her then

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

I had my surgery in 2002 by Dr. Erasmus. He was absolutely wonderful to me. I had traveled to Houston to see an Orthopedic Surgeon and was very disappointed. I also had seen an Orthopedic Surgeon in Albuquerque...was also disappointed. Dr. Erasmus suggested I try injections before having my surgery. After a couple of injections, I opted for surgery! Dr. Erasmus was kind and funny which you don't see in Dr's much anymore! The surgery went awesome. I was walking around the next day!! I would highly recommend him to anyone who has severe disc and nerve pain! He fixed what 2 years of seeing Orthopedic Surgeons could not in less than 2 weeks!! I'm very happy with him and have given several people his name.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2015

He is a poor excuse for a neurosurgeon. horrible as others here have said. Actually a disgusting example of a human being no less a doctor in neuroscience. If you need such a doctor go back East where they are professional and many specialize in a particular neurological condition. Closest place I would allow someone to do neurosurgery is Barrows Neurological Institute/St Josephs Hospital in Phoenix. We have NO neurosurgeons in this state of NM that I would ever let touch anyone I know either family member or friend. Erasmus is a joke.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2015

Horrible! I have had such a bad experience with Dr. Erasmus I would never recommend him to anyone. From the pain I have been having, to the 2 1/2 minimum hour wait time to see him (for a five minute visit). Up until my surgery the whole experience was awful. Prior to my surgery while waiting in the pre-surgical waiting room, he walked up to me and began telling me information pertaining to another patient's surgery he had just completed as well as began to hand me someone else's MRI disc. Even after my surgery he never came to check on me, ask me about my pain, if I had been up to walk at all. His only comment to me was "I'm still surprised your here." There just have been to many bad experiences to mention with this doctor.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2015

Dr. Mark D. Erasmus's Credentials

• University Of Connecticut School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)