Ratings for Dr. Christopher P. O'Carroll

I have been a long time migraine sufferer (about 25 years). I came to see Dr. O'Carroll about 6 months ago after the treatment that I was receiving from my prior doctor was not very good. Yes, it did take a long time to get an appointment with Dr. O'Carroll. He is very busy for a reason. I have found him and his entire staff to be excellent....very professional and helpful. Dr. O'Carroll has a great sense of humor as well. Dr. O'Carroll switched my medication at my first appointment and I have had excellent results. I still get migraine headaches but the frequency is less and the duration when I take the new medicine is much less. I am very thankful that I found him....excellent doctor!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

Dr. O'Carroll is the best of the best. He is very busy, but he is worth the wait. I have been going to him for my migraines for approximately nine years and he has been able to get them under control. He was also able to diagnosis my husband who was in pain for over six months without relief. After Dr. O'Carrol spoke with my husband about his symptoms, he was able to diagnosis his cluster headaches and prescribe medication which gave him instant relief. For those of you who don't have the patience to wait for the best, then go find someone who will not be able to help you as well as this physician. By the way, his staff is also busy. They have to handle the paperwork and insurance forms generated by all of those patients Dr. O'Carroll cares for everyday. If you complain because he is not at your beckon call, the man deserves some time off. You can't expect to work 24/7 and neither should he. The staff will get back to you. Just be patient as he is worth the wait. Maybe the staff was short with you people because of your bad attitudes................did you ever think of that? Why is everyone so quick to criticize? Appreciate that doctors and the staff are human, just like you. It is hard to get an appointment with Dr. O'Carroll, but I can tell you the truth, it is worth the wait, as he will be able to help you. He tells you how it is and he is not a miracle worker, so he can't change your situation, but he can make you feel a lot better while dealing with it. Thanks to the entire staff at Dr. O'Carroll's office. Karen Orange County, CA

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

Dr. O'Carroll is a terrible doctor. I wish I had read the reviews about him and his staff before wasting so much time seeing this doctor for years,, only to be blamed for having migraines, as I have seen here and on yelp. In speaking with other doctors since my experience, they usually speak in hushed tones, and will tell you that he has a terrible reputation for being a narcissistic and arrogant jerk. Spot on assessment. It doesn't matter how much education someone has. If a doctor can't treat patients with any modicum of respect or empathy, it isn't helpful. Dr. O'Carroll is more interested in making generalizations about you and your condition. He doesn't alter his assessment or diagnosis regardless of evidence to the contrary, he wants to be right. Although he was not, in my case,, as I was diagnosed with another condition that exacerbates my migraines and some of the medication that Dr. O'Carroll prescribed had the side effect of *cassing* migraines. . His staff is another matter entirely and because of the way Dr. O'Carroll treats people, this is nothing more than them imitating his rude and dismissive style. At some stage Dr. O'Carroll will refer you to his Physician's Assistant, Sally, who is not a doctor. So if you want to see a doctor, it's Sally or nothing. As for positive reviews I have seen, I haven't met one doctor or heard of any patient that has anything good to say about Dr. O'Carroll. Either way, save yourself an unpleasant experience and seek treatment from a doctor that actually will care about you and treat your condition. Dr. O'Carroll is not that doctor.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2014

dr. O'Carroll is considered to be the best in his field and in my experience I find that to be true. He knows so much. He was trained at Mayo and Mass General for Goodness Sake can't get any better than that. I was recommended to him by my dr for nerve pain. I can see why others might feel him arrogant...he's Irish and very, extremely intelligent he's not arrogant, it's just his bearing. I find him delightful

flag | Submitted July 17, 2013

Don't try and make an appointment, you won't get a call back, the staff is rude, and argumentative. If that is how they treat you as a prospective patient just think how you will be treated once your a patient.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2013

I'm a cluster sufferer. After leaving multiple messages and getting no call back, I called their accounting department and got someone in there to get a nurses attention. After waiting over a month, I got in to see him. When I told him that my calls were never returned, he immediately lit into his office staff. They seemed resentful and haughty, as if the office was theirs not his. Being that the office was almost empty and I was seen very quickly, I feel the office staff and the person that scheduled my appointment was playing games. The doctor himself has always been professional and helpful. His staff are rude and counterproductive. If you call and want to speak to a person, dial extension 300. That's the doctor's line.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2013

Terrible doctor. If your referred to Phillip O'Carroll ask for another referral. He isn't there for patients only for his own profit. Got the impression he doesn't know what he's talking about. He came in drinking a starbucks coffee. At one point he left to find his cell phone and was gone around 10 minutes during my appointment with him. His nurse dimmed the lights while she took my blood pressure which was very considerate. O'Carrolle comes in and the first thing he did was turn up the light without asking it would bother me. He knows I'm light sensitive. He's rude and very selective on the information he shares. Worst medical experience ever!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

i have been suffering from tmj and fibromyalgia since 1993 after a car accident. when my condition became extremely severe i asked dr o'carroll to put me on temporary paid disability. but i was not able to go on disability because my insurance disability claim was denied and the reason was that dr o'carroll had written on my disability forms that i was not in dire enough condition to go on disability and that it is best for people like me to keep working. on my next visit i was crying in pain and extremely desperate, he told me that all women come to his office and start crying and complaining of pain and he walked out of the room. for me, that was all i could take and switched my doctors. i also, need to mention that although some of his fellow doctors think that he is very intelligent but mostly he is not very well liked by a lot of doctors. he is believed to be arrogant, disrespectful and biased towards women and their medical issues. yet he practices....

flag | Submitted November 11, 2012

I've been to several pain management specialists over the years, had all procedures and medications except Botox. I went to this doctor about three years ago and he said Medicare wouldn't pay for Botox for headaches.. I called Medicare, got an approval and took it to Doctor O'Carroll. He became very upset, WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM and in effect, dismissed me. He wanted cash. I'm still looking for a doctor who cares.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2012

This has been our worst doctor experience. He's not been a good communicator, doesn't listen, won't accept emergency calls after hours and won't come to the hospital to treat you. This is not what you want when you've been in a great deal of pain for the past 10 weeks. As if this wasn't enough, his staff is not quick to return calls, gain insurance approval and has been very rude. I can't believe that Hoag Hospital would be accociated with this type of practice. It really gives their Neuroscience Center a bad reputation. I'd recommend you find a different doctor that C. Phillip O'carroll.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2012

Dr. Christopher P. O'Carroll's Credentials

• Univ Coll Dublin, Nat'L Univ Of Ireland, Fac Of Med, Dublin (Grad. 1974)