Ratings for Dr. Eric S. Surrey

Although he seems pretty nice, he is really not a very good doctor. More specifically, he said that he would refuse to treat me at age 38 due to the fact that I have poor AMH/FSH numbers. At the same time, I was already told way back in 2012 that I had undetectable AMH levels. This did not prevent me from getting pregnant with an IUI and having a baby just two years ago. If someone like me (who had a baby two years ago and who is only 38) is not allowed to use fertility treatments, then who exactly is? What is the purpose of a fertility clinic if not to treat patients? In my case, not only is Dr. Surry unwilling to treat me with IVF, but he is also unwilling to give me simple medications like Clomid that I used to have my first child. In addition to the fact that Dr. Surrey now refuses to treat me (likely because I will not help to boost CCRM’s “success rates” that they use to justify exorbitant costs), I also received very poor treatment from the clinic in the fall of 2015. More specifically, they performed a Clomid cycle that cost me $2,000.00 in which they accidentally triggered the only follicle I had 13 mm. Despite this major mistake, I was never offered a refund. A final issue that I have with Dr. Surrey is that he charges over $200.00 for a consultation and then wants to run out of the room after ten minutes. In my case, I wonder in the back of my mind whether the poor treatment I receive is due in part to the fact that I am a single woman. Furthermore, CCRM does not do a good job of picking up the phones. In fact, the best way to often get into contact with them is to connect with the new patient line! Once you become a patient, they are apparently no longer interested in picking up the phone. Dr. Surrey also routinely disappears on long vacations during which he cannot be contacted. Finally, CCRM refused to pick up the phone the entire weekend after New Year’s Day of 2016. I am certainly glad that I was not doing one of their $35,000 IVF rounds that weekend! CCRM likes to claim that they have very high IVF success rates. Consequently, they charge A LOT more money compared to other clinics. I am writing this review to express my view that these purportedly high success rates are likely due to the fact that CCRM cherry picks their patients, refusing to take on patients who have less than optimal chances. In doing so, they are able to artificially elevate their reported success rates and thereby justify their exorbitant costs. Clinics like CCRM are the likely the reason for why the CDC says that the success rates of different fertility clinics cannot be compared to each other. In my particular case, I saw Dr. Surrey. Although he seems pretty nice, he is really not a very good doctor. More specifically, he said that he would refuse to treat me at age 38 due to the fact that I have poor AMH/FSH numbers. At the same time, I was already told way back in 2012 that I had undetectable AMH levels. This did not prevent me from getting pregnant with an IUI and having a baby just two years ago. If someone like me (who had a baby two years ago and who is only 38) is not allowed to use fertility treatments, then who exactly is? What is the purpose of a fertility clinic if not to treat patients? In my case, not only is Dr. Surry unwilling to treat me with IVF, but he is also unwilling to give me simple medications like Clomid that I used to have my child. (I have only used five rounds of Clomid my entire life, and CCRM previously told me that they did not have any explicit limits on the number of Clomid cycles that could be performed.) In addition to the fact that Dr. Surrey now refuses to treat me (likely because I will not help to boost CCRM’s “success rates” that they use to justify exorbitant costs), I also received very poor treatment from the clinic in the fall of 2015. More specifically, they performed a Clomid cycle that cost me $2,000.00 in which they accidentally triggered the only follicle I had 13 mm. Despite this major mistake, I was never offered a refund. A final issue that I have with Dr. Surrey is that he charges over $200.00 for a consultation and then wants to run out of the room after ten minutes. In my case, I wonder in the back of my mind whether the poor treatment I receive is due in part to the fact that I am a single woman. Furthermore, CCRM does not do a good job of picking up the phones. In fact, the best way to often get into contact with them is to connect with the new patient line! Once you become a patient, they are apparently no longer interested in picking up the phone. Dr. Surrey also routinely disappears on long vacations during which he cannot be contacted. Finally, CCRM refused to pick up the phone the entire weekend after New Year’s Day of 2016. I am certainly glad that I was not doing one of their $35,000 IVF rounds that weekend!

flag | Submitted January 5, 2017

We went through 2 IVF cycles here (I was 42 at the time) using a different protocol each time. Our nurse was like a robot; unfeeling, not helpful. She seemed irritated by my calls and questions. Felt that we were blindsided by the high costs of drugs and some procedures, which we thought should have been discussed upfront at our 1st visit. BUT Dr. Surrey was super helpful and positive, even though I think he believed that we were pursuing a baby in vain due my age. The eggs didn't mature, and now we are looking at donor options, but I am not sure we can afford this again. Dr surrey also made some off-hand comments such as "you can shop while you are in Denver", which leads me to think he has no idea how poor the normal middle-class person can be! We are looking at IVF in Prague...

flag | Submitted November 20, 2013

Dr. Surrey deserves to be on top of the list for reproductive endochrinologists. He has a great personality, and excellent skills to boot. If you want to get pregnant and have failed at other clinics, then CCRM is the place to go, and I highly recommend working with Dr. Surrey. He cares about his patients, and practices with honesty and integrity. He will tell you the truth no matter what you are faced with, but you can be sure that it will be told with the intention of helping you to achieve your goal of becoming pregnant. After 8 years, and 4 infertility clinics and multiple failed IVF cycles, I came to CCRM and was pregnant after one try. THANK YOU!!!

flag | Submitted April 14, 2010

If you are a female and want to keep your organs and are faced with a hysterectomy, please go see Dr. Surrey!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2009

Dr. Eric S. Surrey's Credentials

• Univ Of Pa Sch Of Med, Philadelphia Pa 19104 (Grad. 1981)

HealthPartners