Ratings for Dr. Richard Wong

I was one of Dr. Wong's patient since I was little. No complains at all! The waiting there is acceptable, staff are friendly, as long as you leave them a voicemail they will return your call during the day (I have asked my parents). Dr. Wong is really knowledgeable and has the patience with children. Now I am expecting a child by the end of the month and I will 100% go back to Dr. Wong.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

Unfortunately my wife wants to continue taking our son here since he has been going from the day he was born. Doctor seems decent and does seem to be knowledgaeable and cautious. But the staff are not the greatest, the waits are forever and ever and OMG try and phone the office to speak to someone. Quite terrible actually. I am still trying to convince my wife that it is time to move on!!!!

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Today was my final visit to Dr. Richard Wong’s office after being my children’s pediatrician for 14 years! I hadn’t taken my children to visit him for a 1 ½ years because I wanted my last visit to be the final one. Since I hadn't been able to find a suitable family physician replacement, I conceded to take them see Dr. Wong as they were overdue for their annual check-up and I had a couple of concerns on a physician could address. First came my son, who was due for his 14 year old shots. When I asked the doctor if those were the same shots that he received at school last year, he abruptly said, “I don’t have his record updated with those shots." His tone was abrasive but I took it in stride and told him I had forgotten his immunization record but would have it sent over. He went one still with “If someone asks me for his record, I don’t have the latest one.” Again, I smiled and told him I understood. When it came time to examine my 11 ½ year old daughter in the next room, I started by telling him that she was suffering from headaches, almost daily, and the only relief she gets is from taking Advil. I also reminded him that she had a history of headaches since she was three & even experienced a couple of seizures in the past. His physical reaction was that of almost disgust as he said “She suffers from seizures? Since when?” and quickly followed up with “Well that was a long time ago, she hasn’t had anything recently.” I confirmed there weren’t recent episodes but told him I thought the history was relevant as the two might be related. He proceeded to type a lot and finally said, with a sarcastic laugh, “Well if she was suffering from headaches for so long, why haven’t I see you in two years?” The words & tone he used took me aback. I had experienced his abrasive manner many times over the years, but nothing amounted to such an insult as I felt was being directed towards me. My thoughts immediately were, first, it wasn’t two years, second, who said she was suffering from that frequency of headaches since, and third, why aren't you asking more relevant questions to identify when that frequency started or what other remedies we’ve attempted. I quickly responded with “Doctor, I think the more appropriate question would be how long have the headaches been at this frequency, rather assuming she’s experienced them at this frequency since we last visited”. He immediately retorted with “It’s not up to you to tell the doctor how to phrase his questions” I responded “Well doctor, it’s not appropriate to insinuate that I’m neglecting my child’s health”. He proceeded to insinuate that “something must be wrong (with me) based on my reaction” and I quickly responded with “No Dr., don’t make this into something it’s not. This is about how you chose to address me and how I felt it was inappropriate.” He finished the exam and excused my daughter to share his diagnosis and next steps. He had barely asked a handful of questions to my daughter related to her headaches (with his back turned to us the entire time) so it troubled me that he was quick to jump to a diagnosis, without blood/urine tests to determine if all her levels are normal or eye, nutrition, allergy tests to support a well-rounded assessment. He also didn’t inquire about other methods we’ve engaged to address her headaches, like the multiple visits to a cranial-sacral therapist or to the nutritionist. I could barely explain anything as the appointment was so rushed, not to mention, after I called him out on his comments, he was more focused on how I could have the audacity to question him. He apparently couldn’t get over the fact that I could question him on his behaviour and claimed to be so puzzled as to why I would think he was insinuating what I had. I told him simply, his bedside manner was undesirable and repeated that the words and tone he chose are what left me with that conclusion. To further my point, I recalled the situation with his previous patient just before he entered our room. The girl and her mother approached him for a doctor’s note for missing school. In what could only be described as a scolding tone, he said “Why didn’t you ask me for one when we were in the room?” The girl said “I’m sorry, I forgot.” Then he said “Well I can only write that you came to my office for a sore throat. What the school does with that is up to them.” What is that supposed to even mean? Isn’t that exactly what doctor’s notes should say? I also reminded him that the exchange took place in front of other patients and I felt, it too, was completely inappropriate. I encouraged him to rethink how he chooses to address ALL his patients as it’s clearly not just me he’s addressing in such a manner. Based on our exchange, it was clear to me that no one has ever held him accountable for how he addresses patients and parents and that, as a doctor, he feels he’s above being held accountable for his actions and speaking to patients/parents with compassion, dignity & respect.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

Horrible staff that are extremely rude. Overbooked, long wait times rushed appointments....

flag | Submitted June 10, 2016

Best pediatrician in Markham, has always prescribed the correct medication. Been sending my children to him for 15 years.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016

Dr Wong is a OK Dr. Appointment is always rush. Always an hr wait in the reception then a 15min at least wait in the waiting room followed with a 2 min rough examination or checkup. The staff are rude and ridiculus. I had to call more than 10 times a day and finally someone picked up the phone. If you are standing in front of the staff so you see none of them will pick up phone calls while the phone is ringing. I was told to pick up a form as it was ready. When I arrived at the reception all of the staff pretended they were busy I waited there for 20mins and no one asked me if I needed help. Finally a girl came and asked what I needed. The other older staff then told this young girl the form is not ready. She has not prepared it yet...What!! Then dont tell me its ready!and made me standing waiting with no one greeting me I looked like a fool. This office is absolutely not a children clinic. The staff are extremely rude and impatient!never answer phone calls and questions.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2016

Dr. Wong is truly an amazing doctor who is knowledgeable, kind and has a good sense of humour. He has a heart for his patients. That is also why is office is always busy and needs some wait. The new clinic is beautiful. My kids love going to Dr. Wong.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

Dr Wong and Patty are amazing. The only necessary changes include a phone system so that I don't have to call over and over again only to receive the anaswering machine telling me to wait for the receptionist which meant to keep calling until they weren't too busy to pick up the phone. Leaving numerous messages to get a call back is ineffective.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

The dankest of doctors shall not be unheard of. Gr8 m8 i r8 8/8 n0 h8 or discrimin8

flag | Submitted March 15, 2015

Dr Wong is a very nice and knowledgeable pediatrician. He has a heart in all his patients. My son is now 16 years old and we dont need to go to his clinic (only during annual check-up) as my son is very healthy. Dr Wong is good. But the receptionist is not. It is a long wait though.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015