Ratings for Dr. Johanes Lategan

I was referred to Dr. Lategan with a rare and chronic blood cancer in 2003 shortly after giving birth to my son at the young age of 30. During the past 13 years, we have been through 7 chemotherapy treatments and a stem cell transplant. At one point, I felt it was necessary to see other specialists at the Mayo Clinic to confirm my diagnosis and possible future treatments. Needless to say, Dr. Lategan was as brilliant(if not more) than the 5 specialist that I saw in Minnesota. We are fortunate to have him in Calgary. He has saved my life numerous times and I have total trust in him. I respect and find strength in his calm and orderly demeanor. It can't be easy being the bearer of bad news, but despite hearing the terrible news, I have never broke down and cried in his room; because, I know with him by my side we can overcome any obstacle. He is also an extremely hard working doctor and his staff and colleagues respect him tremendously. He is truly a blessing and I'm eternally grateful to be his patient!!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

Dr. Lategan is an amazing doctor. Blunt and to the point, but he does have a good sense of humor if you can find it. My only issue is that he doesn't really listen or understand the side effects of the drug I'm on. From day one I had side effects of the drug and every time I go in to see him I say I have the side effects to either the Doc himself or the intake nurse. He told me I have to deal with it. Again, blunt. I also get the feeling that he and the nurses don't take my claims of pain seriously and that he won't be helpful if I have to apply to AISH or disability because the side effect are too much to deal with. More and more people are having problems with GLEEVEC, so perhaps this will help. Again, a great doctor who is keeping me in remission. I quite like him and will continue to see him.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2016

Dr. Lategan is an amazing doctor. He does everything be can to help you get better! His staff is exceptional. Especially the girls in the treatment room, and Kathleen! Amazing people!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

Dr. Lategan's negligence landed me in the emergency ward via EMS. He prescribed a high dose of a blood medication to which I reacted badly - and left me disabled (unable to work) for a number of days. He refused to help me fill a disability claim form because of something he was responsible for and told me to seek social services. The worst part was his demeanour which was absolutely condescending and very disrespectful (I won't go the extent of saying racist). - I simply wanted him to explain why he did not consider my situation (for which he is responsible) a disability. He just stormed out of the room saying he didn't have time for this as he was late for his other patients - (not to mention he had kept us waiting several times before, to which I hadn't said anything about). In the process of bringing him into accountability, insha'Allah.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

I am so thankful for Dr. Lategan!! I was diagnosed with lymphoma and he has been awesome to me and my family. He is honest, direct, and very compassionate. He is one of the best doctor/specialist that have cared for me during these past few years.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2012

I like how Dr. Lategan is direct & to the point. He doesn't want to waste your time as well as his. He has a lot of knowledge & knows how to get the job done. He's prompt, friendly and smart. It was a pleasure to meet him & get the answers I was looking for.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2012

Dr. Lategan saved my life. Period. While he may not be warm and fuzzy he gets the job done and knew exactly what treatment would work to combat and treat my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. A year later I am cancer free. Support staff are hard to get a hold of and are usually extremely busy which can be annoying but its not the doctors or the teams fault its the system.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2012

Lategan came highly recommended by my family doctor. His expertise is evident, but his bed side manner is very poor. His explanations are short, if at all, he is usually late for apts, he invites other doctors in training sit in on my apts without extending the courtesy of even introducing them to me and will continue on with a physical exam infront of whomever is in the room. Does not provide much information explanation or understanding regarding my condition, just instructs me on treatment & frowns apon asking questions or explanations. If I could have another doctor treat me at a hospital in the South end of Calgary...I would jump at the opportunity to switch. And the Support Staff...I find exceptional, especially in the Treatment room!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

trying to schedule something his Support Staff is painful - but the Doctor seems fine - even followed up with a call because we were seeing another hematologist instead; but holy man - his staff is not only rude but inattentive

flag | Submitted September 27, 2011

Dr. Lategan is the best Doctor I have ever visited. The most professional, knowledgeable and competent of any Doctor I have met.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2011