Ratings for Dr. Thomas M. Kastner

I am a physician myself, so I'm willing to make excuses for other physicians for a lot of things. Unfortunately, I have to say Dr. Kastner is an idiot. He misdiagnosed me, got me unnecessarily worked up and told me I would never have a normal sex life for the rest of my life and only a few people in the world could even do my surgery. I cried in his office and he didn't so much as offer me a comforting word or a box of kleenex! He was going to waste my time with conservative therapy for 2 months before even considering refering me to a surgeon. Thank God I got a 2nd opinion quickly, or this guy would have screwed me! I had my surgery a week later, which was not that complicated, and I'm doing fine. My surgeon was much better, so that was Mayo's saving grace. Even my surgeon thinks this guy is a moron. See someone else!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2013

Very mixed reviews about this doc. I travelled to the Mayo in '07 b/c I have a pelvic pain condition that most doctors don't know how to treat. Dr. Kastner was much nicer than the jerks I had dealt with prior to seeing him- a refreshing change. However, he diagnosed me before examining me, and gave me a generic treatment plan (which did not help). Had he bothered to do additional lab tests, he may have learned that I was suffering from a *rare yeast infection (something I didn't even know existed two years ago). If he's bothered to culture for non-Albicans yeast, then I may not have had my pelvic nerves fried by constant infections. I am now in a situation where I can't get rid of my fungal problem- probably b/c it went untreated for so long. Thanks a lot, doc.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2009

I had read the previous reviews on here of Dr. Kastner before my appt with him. Because of those, I prepared myself for the possibility of an unpleasant experience. I have to say that absolutely nothing the two others here have written resembled my experience whatsoever. Kastner was excellent. Informative, thorough, knowledgable, and gave me the least painful exam of its type i've ever had. He went above and beyond to explain things to me and ensure i was doing alright at every point of the exam & tests. I will request to see him again in the future. I recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2009

I wish I found this site before my medical exam. Dr. Kastner should not practice medicine and needs professional help. He made inappropriate comments, his exam was overly aggressive, inappropriate conduct, no nurse in the room, and clearly is unstable. I was violated. I cannot believe the MAYO Clinic allows this man to practice medicine. He is a major liability. It is most unfortunate that a fine organization like the Mayo Clinic condones this type of behavior. Please, choose another doctor/provider and insist on having a nurse in the room. Turning a blind eye to this type of illegal, unethical and unsafe behavior warrants further investigation. Please, if you or someone you love has had an experience with this man, it is not your fault, and I pray you will have the courage to report Dr. Kastner, to both his superiors and if necessary, law enforcement. You are not alone. It is my hope to shed light on & stop such abhorrent behavior. I pray the Mayo will do the right thing here.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2009

Physician made inappropriate comments during exam. Complaints made to administration were dismissed.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2008

Dr. Thomas M. Kastner's Credentials

• University Of Minnesota Medical School (Grad. 1981)