Ratings for Dr. Anne Bethan Chancey

My worst experience with a doctor ever. I explained both knees hurt and one locks and where it specifically hurt when I did certain things and her response was "you just aren't going to be able to do those things anymore and to let them go, you can't fix every little thing" The fact I only had pain when I did specific tasks was not enough for her, it needed to be constant pain all the time. Every word she said made me think why is she a doctor? I felt like if I was not a candidate for surgery, she just wanted me out of her office. I waited 6 months for an apt to see what a specialist could do to help me get active again and what I heard instead was "accept your lifestyle will never be what it was. " She did not seem to like being asked questions and rambled in a way that was difficult to stop her. I lost the will to ask questions anyway and just let her talk because she made me feel like I was stupid to not accept what she was saying. I was shocked that she did little to no investigation in the office, ordered no tests, and any suggestions came from me and she would say "well you can try that". She said tests would be a waste because there was nothing she could do anyway. How do you know you can do nothing to help if you don't know the full problem? I still to this day do not know why I have pain or why my knee locks - she explained nothing. She was so unhelpful and made me feel so hopeless that I left there visibly frustrated and in tears. I told my family doctor about the experience and I am immediately being sent out for a second opinion.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

I want to start this by saying I have only good things to say about Dr Chancey. Fantastic doctor, patient, knowledgeable, caring, skilled. The BEST. I have had met with her multiple times since an accident I had in 2015 and I have had a great experience with her every time. My issue is with her receptionist, and the reason why I rated staff as 3 stars. I wish I could rate the Dr and receptionist separately, because I would rate Dr Chancey 5 stars and her receptionist 1 star. She is consistently rude to me over the phone and failed to properly explain standard hospital procedure to me. I've been booked for appointments and not called. When I call I am rudely told that there is no moving the appointment, even if it is inconvenient for me. I don't bother asking anymore, I just rearrange my schedule to accommodate the one date that I'm given. She speaks to me like I am a child. Slow, sarcastic tone like she is explaining something simple to a stupid person. Extremely unprofessional and frustrating to deal with. I had a minor operation booked and the receptionist failed to tell me that the hospital would not discharge me unless someone was coming to pick me up, since they were putting me under for the operation. I found this out right before the surgery when I was asked who was picking me up afterwards. I didn't have anyone to get me until late that evening (my surgery was booked for 7am) so I had the choice to have only local anesthetic or stay in the hospital for the entire day. I didn't have anyone to pick me up and I didn't want to stay all day so I went for local anesthetic so I could take a taxi or bus home. The surgery was painful and unpleasant, but Dr Chancey was wonderful throughout. Had I been informed of standard hospital procedure, I would have made proper arrangements. The hospital staff was shocked that I wasn't told this, as it was a legal matter, and standard hospital procedure. I specifically asked the receptionist if there's anything I should know or prepare for when the appointment was booked, and was told that I should fast for 12 hours prior to the surgery, but nothing else. I recently called because I had test results sent to her office and was advised by the technician who performed the test at the hospital, that the doctor's office would contact me with the next steps. I called weeks later when I received no contact from her office and the receptionist first told me that she told Dr Chancey and hasn't heard back and will try again, then corrected herself and said that I need to provide a referral to her from my GP since it had been over 5 months since my last appointment with her. I have no idea why she didn't call me to tell me that... I met with my GP and had the referral sent over, and 2 more weeks passed and still nothing. I called back again and was informed that an appointment was booked for me. I asked why I wasn't called and was very rudely informed that she responded to the referral, and sent my GP the appointment. She told me she had no obligation to call me, as she responded to the request. Just a very unpleasant person. It's a shame because Dr Chancey is so wonderful.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr Chancey is regarded as one of the best orthopaedic surgeons in the province and this is clearly evident in the way she cares for her patients. I am currently recovering from a sports injury and her attentiveness and bedside manner is very rare in today's practice.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

Dr chances performed my knee replacement, and did a very excellent job, she is so well liked by all the staff at the hospital!! I was referred to her through my friend Bonita Roy and I'm sure glad I did! I would highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

I love Dr Chancy, I suffered with ankle pain for years and its been two years since my surgery and I can walk again with a normal ankle

flag | Submitted March 2, 2017

Had knee surgery after traumatic injury great care and follow up

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

Dr Chancey performed surgery on my left arm in 2013. Listened to what I had to say and gave me good advise about using said arm. Punctuality and Staff, I've only met the Doc at the hospital and not at her office. It's maybe an extra half hour wait to see the doc because so many patients are waiting to be assessed, so I have no problem with that. Just bring a book, iPad etc

flag | Submitted September 21, 2015

I got hit by a car and broke my ankle and Dr Chancey was my surgeon. She checked on me many times while I was in recovery and seems to genuinely care. She takes me one step at a time through my recovery from appointment to appointment, she explains things to me in a very kind way, and doesn't overwhelm me. Wonderful doctor. And all the nurses I spoke to in the hospital beamed when I told them Dr Chancey was my surgeon.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

I recently had a full knee replacement. Dr.Chancey is amazing. everyone I know who has had a knee replacement are very surprizes at my recovery. Dr. Chancey is highly respected by the staff at the hospital which says a lot about her as a surgeon. you will be in good hands.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Dr. Chancey was excellent in her surgery with my broken ankle. She has a no nonsense manner and gets to the point. She is very knowlegable and has a good sense of humour. Her appointments can run longer than planned, but when I get to her she spends as long as she needs to give me the information I need and answer any of my questions. She cares very much for her patients and does what it takes to get the job done. I fell into her lap because I came from ER, but if I could choose, I would definitely go back to her or refer her. Hopefully I won't have to see her after my ankle heals:)

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015