Ratings for Dr. Michael Ward

Dr Ward is very caring, attentive, thorough, and smart. He reflects high standards in his own practice which provides an excellent example to his medical students. He has a down-to-earth, neighbourly approach with his patients which sets the tone for visits. He follows closely with specialist reports and test results are always promptly provided. The office staff are always courteous and professional as well.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

I used to really like Dr. Ward, but in the last 7-10 years there has been a serious assembly line feel to the practice. You will almost never see Dr. Ward, but always a student of some sort, often a different one each time - you are given no choice in this matter and made to feel like a criminal for wanting to see your actual doctor. I have even happily booked my appointments months down the road to ensure seeing my doctor rather than some random person, and upon arrival am informed I am seeing a student. Dr. Ward is funny, light and puts you at ease, seeming really genuine. However, he doesn't explain anything, doesn't like if you ask questions, but tells you not to look up things on the internet - so I'm not sure what you are supposed to do when given a diagnosis you know nothing about. He's not really interested in discussing any issues you might have, seems only to care that you have your physical done and get out. I am told I'm young don't worry about anything (I am in my 30's), so nothing beyond a pap is ever done, but my friends say they are always sent for routine blood tests and other things yearly with their doctors. I have been told I was being prescribed something, went to pharmacy and picked it up got it home and realized it was the wrong thing, which the pharmacy did not refund me because they were just filling the incorrect prescription. I then had to re-pay for the correct item once they contacted Dr. Ward's office and they re-wrote the prescription correctly. I had a test done once that came back negative so when I phoned the office to book a follow-up they couldn't figure out why - they couldn't understand that if the test came back negative there was clearly something still wrong and I didn't know what (the one test was the only thing he had suggested at the time as he felt fairly certain that would be it). When I call to make an appointment, and I have no problem waiting whatsoever as I am never in a rush to go to the doctors, I am often told to just go see him at the walk in. This is silly as I have to wait hours, go to a place where people are sick, and take a spot that someone who needs to actually be seen right away could use - it's like they don't want to book appointments. In summary, Dr. Ward is nice and friendly on the surface, but doesn't really seem to be interested in doctoring or any thoroughness or follow through. As to the other's comments about the staff, there did used to be a staff member who was incredibly rude all the time, but I have not seen her there in awhile and assume she is gone. The staff is generally abrupt but kind, but no real interest in booking appointments, just trying to sell the walk-in hours.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2016

This is our second time rating Dr. Ward so this is an update. Dr. Ward is funny, friendly, caring and a very knowledgeable doctor. When he is not 100% sure of a diagnosis he will refer you immediately to a specialist for a 2nd opinion. We have had Dr. Mike for over 20 years now and have always been given the best care ever by him and his staff. We trust Dr. Mike with our lives!! The Beenen Family.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2015

He is very professional (though I hate that he calls me "kiddo") and takes the time to explain everything. Overall he is a great Doctor and would only change his secretaries. There is one secretary with dark hair that seems to be rude to everyone.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

Genuine, caring and very compassionate toward his patients. Very highly recommended.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

flag | Submitted April 13, 2014

After 2 weeks of dealing with my daughters illness I decided to take her to the walk in clinic. Her cough and cold symptoms developed into earache, back pain and stomach pains. I had been giving her advil cough and cold and children's nyquil. Due to the length of time making these OTC drugs I new from my own experience the constipation might be an issue. Upon seeing Dr Ward. His recommendation was to keep giving her advil and give her a cup of dry popcorn every day... Afterwaiting an hour and a half to see this doctor he prescribes popcorn. Like I mentioned I had tried for two weeks the let this bug work through her system. And I'm not one to run to the doctors office for every sniffle. But when I do end up going I expect a professional doctor and a professional diagnosis, which in my opinion I did not receive from Dr. Ward.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2014

Dr. Ward is an excellent doctor that is kind, understanding, and empathetic. He is very caring and if he is unsure of anything he will send you to a specialist when warranted. I've had him for a doctor since he start his practice and would not want another doctor ever as he is the best!!

flag | Submitted January 7, 2013

Dr ward has been my doctor for almost 15 years, he has always been very attentive to me and my family,any tests that needed to be done, we're. He is a very smart man, he always seems to what your symptoms mean. I have been in a recent car accident where I was air lifted to sunnybrook hospital and put back together with a great team there, but since then doctor ward has been looking after me, he is a very understanding compassionate doctor, if I'm feeling a little down by the time I walk out of his office my chin is held high, I know I could have been a lot worse and I'm still here everyday to see my husband and two wonderful boys. What more could I ask for!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2012

I saw Dr Ward in Urgent care and he immediately referred me to a specialist. He phoned my house twice to ensure I had gotten the proper medical attention my condition warranted. He's wonderful and pleasant. I trust his diagnoses, his knowledge and his skills.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2009