Ratings for Dr. Evelyn Jain

I saw Dr. Jain for breastfeeding issues - low supply but didn't know why as baby seemed to latch fine. I saw her for less than 5 minutes, she told me I have hypoplastic breasts without explaining at all what that meant, she checked my son for a tongue tie by sticking two fingers in his mouth - she didn't even look at anything, and didn't check at all for a lip tie. She said give him more formula and left - hardly what I expected from a lactation consultant! No suggestion of testing any of my hormone levels, didn't check his latch, overall was remarkably unhelpful. Here we are at 4 months post partum and my son has been seen by a pediatric dentist to assess for ties as his latch has been getting worse and he has now had both a lip tie and tongue tie revised, and his first feed after the revision I could hear more swallowing. Too bad Dr. Jain wasn't more thorough as we could have improved things a lot soon. I do not recommend her at all.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

Absolutely the worst experience. Waited for hours to see her, although not allowed to make any comments about that. She walks into the exam room, never taking her hand off the door handle, and tells me that I'm fine and all my tests came back fine. Problem is that I didn't have any tests done so I don't even know what file she was looking at or referring to but it wasn't mine. Sympathetic? No. Accusatory, pompous and made me feel like I was just a waste of space in her busy world. Shame on you Dr. Jain.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2017

The gist: Dr. Jain definitely knows her stuff but doesn't take the time to get all the information to make an appropriate recommendation. She also got very defensive when she perceived that I was questioning her advice (I wasn't...). The BIG REASON you should avoid Dr. Jain: Dr. Jain told me that she didn't think I should have a right to make a decision for my baby, because the baby is her patient. Not me. Are you serious??????? Details: My baby was consistently dropping weight percentiles, but gaining overall. Family doctor recommended checking with a lactation consultant to make sure there wasn't a problem. Great idea, because even though I thought everything seemed good, it's smart to have an expert check. Also got referred to a Pediatrician who did a thorough assessment and concluded that because of some details, we should not be worried about the percentile drop. Kept my lactation appointment anyway. Once at Dr. Jain's, one of her residents watched me nurse and offered some awesome, helpful feedback. Dr. Jain came in, made some recommendations, etc., all was positive. Then she asked to give baby some formula right there. I said I'd like to talk to my husband first... I didn't say no to the formula, by the way. That's when everything went downhill. Dr. Jain consistently stressed her 38 years of experience in response to questions like "What can I look for to make sure that she's hungry and needs the supplement" and "Why do you recommend that particular formula". She never told me why she thought we had a supply issue, just that the weight gain was a problem. Okay, granted, but even though they said to trust the Pediatrician as the expert on weight gain, she seemed uninterested in the fact that the Pediatrician wasn't concerned. They also didn't do a weighted feed, so there was no way she could tell how much baby was getting. Plus she didn't seem to care that baby had gained half a pound in a week, which is pretty healthy. So, I left having none of my questions answered and feeling disrespected as the mother of my child. Honestly, I was hoping to understand the problem so I could be confident in whatever we ended up doing to address it, but nope, didn't get that. Even though the staff were okay and the appointment was punctual, I am rating everything 1 star so that the overall rating accurately reflects how horrid my appointment was.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

Saw Dr Jain to deal with my child's posterior tongue tie, I would rather have seen westmarket dental but money was a factor. She was kind but brash. I've dealt with ties before and am knowledgeable. I was told we could avoid clipping and just work on positioning but after weight gain issues and reflux like symptoms we opted to deal with it. My parter was asked to leave the room, I had to hold my baby's head still, she tried to push me to allow her to clip the lip tie because of her "professional opinion" (we got it lasered at westmarket, couldn't afford to have both ties dealt with there) and then she forced me to look at the wound. I know what they look like and the shape they need to keep during the stretches, she would not take no for an answer. Then nursing my baby after to help the wound clot I was told by staff to hurry up. Dr Jain is incredible when it comes to clipping ties, she did an excellent job with a muscular PTT but her attitude and bed side manner are severely lacking. I have friends who have given up breastfeeding after seeing her

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

Dr. Jain was recommended by a good friend after I had a horrible experience at the Alex BF clinic. Had I not gone to see Dr. Jain my baby would not have been breastfeeding. She was punctual, professional and in mere minutes of sitting down, she had adjusted my positioning of baby and he was breastfeeding immediately. She is a God Send. Honestly-do not even bother with other public health nurses and breastfeeding clinics, just go to see Dr. Jain. I had received SO much misinformation and unhelpful information that I didn't think I'd be able to breastfeed despite my willingness to do so. With all the misinformation and conflicting advice it's no wonder people give up on breastfeeding as fast as they do. Dr. Jain is supportive and kind, exactly what a new mom needs.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2015

I too am confused by any negative comments. My experience was wonderful. I was not optimistic after several attempts at breastfeeding clinic and appointments with consultants. Two weeks had passed with very little success and very little progress. I was feeling defeated and frustrated. After a mere 20 minutes in her office we had success. She offered solutions which no other consultant suggested and she was able to pinpoint our problem in mere minutes. I was completely elated and forever grateful. Breastfeeding became the amazing experience I hoped it would be. I have referred several friends and family members and all had success.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

I am really confused about the negative reviews posted here. Dr. Jain was the only physician who was able to help me with my daughter's lip and tongue tie. I had gone through a terrible 5 weeks with my daughter not being able to latch. She was not able to get enough milk and was growing very slowly and I suffered severe trauma. Dr. Jain clipped the lip and tongue tie and gave me a reasonable plan to follow. She was professional, kind, compassionate and did not rush through the appointment even though she is very busy. She was gentle with my daughter and soothed her after the procedure. I am not only a patient, but I also work in healthcare and I can say that Dr. Jain is one of the best doctors I've come across both professionally and personally.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

I showed up 30 minutes early to my appt due to overestimating traffic and was helped right away. Dr Jain was incredibly helpful and knowledgable and diagnosed/treated my daughters tongue and lip ties when other doctors had told me to just deal with the pain. I was on the brink of giving up but she saved my breastfeeding experience and I can't thank her enough!

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

We met with Evelyn this morning and it was a bad experience. She out of the blue accused my husband of "pushing back" but all he was doing was answering her question. Awkward. Didn't feel like she really listened to us or wanted to understand where we are coming from. She talked about her " professional opinion" several times, but I'd have to say her attitude was far from professional.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2014

I had two visits with Dr. Jain to address the severity of my 7 week old baby's tongue/lip ties. During the first appointment, Dr.Jain picked my baby up to examine her mouth and without my permission, tore her tongue tie apart with her bare unwashed finger. My baby was screaming and I did not know why until she handed her back to me. I am still furious about this. Both of my appointments with Dr.Jain were incredibly awkward and rushed.She did not give me an opportunity to explain my situation fully and ask questions.During my second visit (which was 45 minutes late because she was busy chatting to colleagues in her office) she dismissed me and told me to seek help elsewhere. Although Dr.Jain is knowledgeable about tongue/lip ties, her bed-side manner is horrible. She is rude and unsympathetic.There are private lactation consultants in Calgary that are just as knowledgeable and far less cruel than Dr.Jain. Do your research before you see this doctor.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2014