Dr. Garnette Sutherland

Ratings for Dr. Garnette Sutherland

He is the reason I am still looking at the grass and not the routes

flag | Submitted May 21, 2018

What a human being. Using everything he was given, what a blessings.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2017

Highly skilled man...thoroughly enjoyed his quirky sense of humour. Brilliant neurosurgeon!

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

Dr. Sutherland has performed two spinal surgeries in one year for me and will also be doing my next surgery in two weeks along side Dr. Cashe. Dr. Sutherland has been great and very supportive. He even calls me at home to see how I'm managing. He cares that I am an equestrian rider and haven't been able to return fully to my career. After my upcoming surgery and about a year off, he will come and watch me ride! I find it very easy to talk with him and he certainly doesn't have the high and mighty attitude that a lot of doctors have. He's a great guy, usually, okay...always running behind. I would take that any day to be put in the capable hands of this brilliant doctor.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr. Sutherland has a brilliant mind and brilliant hands. He is precise and efficient. However, his bedside manner was the worst of all the specialists I've met. I had asked him prior to surgery what the odds of a specific complication were and he replied with "there's better odds of an earthquake destroying the building during surgery than you getting this complication". I appreciated the honesty and directness, at first. Come surgery day, he was an hour late (and I was the first surgery of the day). I had to lay on the cold metal table for that entire time and my nerves were through the roof after looking at all the equipment they would be using on me. The surgery was flawlessly performed and I awoke with no pain. Two days later, I was diagnosed with a CSF leak - the complication I had asked about. After hearing of the complication, he would not come and visit me. He would stand outside my door and look at the chart, but he would never come in. I was in the ICU for a week. I was disappointed at the lack of comforting understanding he possessed; especially surrounding something that "was so unlikely". In all, he's a brilliant surgeon, but lacks the sympathy and social etiquette that is so important when you're going through a difficult process.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Humble and at the top, courteous, generous and living!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Dr Sutherland worked on removing my acoustic neuroma. The surgery went from 4 hours to 9. He was able to remove all the tumor and preserve my facial nerve. I cannot believe how blessed I am to have had him on the surgical team. Such a well respected doctor, taking the time to make sure I have the best outcome possible for my brain tumor surgery.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Thanks to Dr. Sutherland and staff for his expert surgery and care of Gary (Santa) during his recent surgery. We cannot say enough thanks for saving the facial nerve and explaining the procedures to us. Keep up the good work and blessings to you all! Janet and Gary

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

All business, direct, and gets the job done! And when we're talking brain surgery, what else do I want? Extremely frightening thing being told you have a large (thank goodness benign) brain tumour and it needs to be removed. The weeks of recovery after post-op is no fun, but slowly all regular life returns. Nothing but praise and faith in the expertise of Dr. Sutherland.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

Dr. Sutherland performed my decompression surgeries for my Chiari and I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. He was very kind, explained everything and assured me he would do everything he could to help. And he has a great sense of humour. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat. Thanks doc! from the 'hair' lady.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016