Ratings for Dr. Garnette Sutherland

Dr. Sutherland has a brilliant mind and brilliant hands. He is precise and efficient. However, his bedside manner was the worst of all the specialists I've met. I had asked him prior to surgery what the odds of a specific complication were and he replied with "there's better odds of an earthquake destroying the building during surgery than you getting this complication". I appreciated the honesty and directness, at first. Come surgery day, he was an hour late (and I was the first surgery of the day). I had to lay on the cold metal table for that entire time and my nerves were through the roof after looking at all the equipment they would be using on me. The surgery was flawlessly performed and I awoke with no pain. Two days later, I was diagnosed with a CSF leak - the complication I had asked about. After hearing of the complication, he would not come and visit me. He would stand outside my door and look at the chart, but he would never come in. I was in the ICU for a week. I was disappointed at the lack of comforting understanding he possessed; especially surrounding something that "was so unlikely". In all, he's a brilliant surgeon, but lacks the sympathy and social etiquette that is so important when you're going through a difficult process.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Humble and at the top, courteous, generous and living!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Dr Sutherland worked on removing my acoustic neuroma. The surgery went from 4 hours to 9. He was able to remove all the tumor and preserve my facial nerve. I cannot believe how blessed I am to have had him on the surgical team. Such a well respected doctor, taking the time to make sure I have the best outcome possible for my brain tumor surgery.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Thanks to Dr. Sutherland and staff for his expert surgery and care of Gary (Santa) during his recent surgery. We cannot say enough thanks for saving the facial nerve and explaining the procedures to us. Keep up the good work and blessings to you all! Janet and Gary

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

All business, direct, and gets the job done! And when we're talking brain surgery, what else do I want? Extremely frightening thing being told you have a large (thank goodness benign) brain tumour and it needs to be removed. The weeks of recovery after post-op is no fun, but slowly all regular life returns. Nothing but praise and faith in the expertise of Dr. Sutherland.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

Dr. Sutherland performed my decompression surgeries for my Chiari and I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. He was very kind, explained everything and assured me he would do everything he could to help. And he has a great sense of humour. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat. Thanks doc! from the 'hair' lady.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Garnette Sutherland performed four spinal surgeries on me at the Health Sciences Centre i Winnipeg when he worked there . The last surgery he performed on me was the same day i believe as his baby daughter was born as one of his assistants made me aware of this and i congratulated him before going under and thought how dedicated he was to be here while he had a newly born little one . He also was sitting by my bedside after the first of my four surgeries with him to let me know that now blood transfusion was needed when the tainted blood issue was a thng back then . Imagine he had more surgeries , he was tired and had just finished operating on me but there he was waiting on me waking up to advise me and put my mind at ease . Top man i never have nor never will forget Dr . Sutherland . Winnipeg lost a great surgeon when he left for Calgary

flag | Submitted November 4, 2016

I'm a patient with Dr. Sutherland for many years as I deal with a tumour disease, I couldn't express in words how fantastic he is. He listens and treats me with the most respect any doctor has ever done, and always returns my -many- E-mails and phone calls extremely fast. I really couldn't say anything bad about him, anyone who is fortunate enough to have him as a surgeon on their team knows how great he is.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2016

I had the privilege of meeting Dr Sutherland, his staff were wonderful, he was very kind, intelligent, he looked at my acoustic Neroma, while he prefers surgery, we together weighed 😳😊 the options, he was warm, polite, and truly one of the nicest surgeons I have ever met. I recommend people write your history down, it helps with those of us who are discombobulated. It helps him as well, as these can be stressful appointments! Who ever thinks he's gruff, I totally disagree with you, he heard my story, and was so compassionate.. I shall put him on my Christmas cookie list !

flag | Submitted June 27, 2016

i am a new client with dr.sutherland i had two failed aneurysm surgeries with one dr. met dr.sutherland and he may just be the one who might be able to fix my two aneurysms.it has been a few months since i last saw him.all of a suddden i get a phone call they think they may of found a way to fix it,OMG he is a brilliant mind.i also must tell you the doctor who did my two surguries told me i was inoperative,so you can imagine how dr. sutherland has given me hope again.i really thought i was screwed until my hero showed up.debora

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016