Ratings for Dr. Tusar K. Desai

I had been to several Gastro Dr's in a 10 year period looking for a solution to my stomach issues. All gave me gibberish that a third grader already knew. Of course, the colonoscopy went along with each Doctor, but all was in vain. IBS was the popular diagnosis and I was always told 'watch what you eat". Seriously? You're the Dr., you tell me what to and what not to eat. FINALLY Dr. Desai asked question after question and listened to what I said and most times asked me a question about my answer until he admitted that there are so many different stomach issues out there ---BUT he thought it was perhaps a digestive problem and gave me a list of what to and not to eat, when to eat and not eat and how much at each meal. He said we would try this and if it isn't helping, we will start over and keep going until we find the problem. I rejoiced at his care and approach. It has been 6 years and I do not mean to proclaim that I have never had another problem but I can say with complete honesty that it has improved immensely. Doctors aren't magicians but some do a much better job than others that's for sure. I was blessed the day I ended up in Dr. Desai's office 6 years ago.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

i am a patient of Dr. Desai- yes it is tardy sometimes but most of the drs i see always run late- he does ask a lot of questions and explains everything very well- the reason why he sometimes gets behind schedule is because he makes sure that you understand what is going on and will answer your questions-i have had several procedures done by him-and he always very thoughtful and explains to whoever comes]with me what he did and what he found-i would highly recommend him to my friends and family

flag | Submitted December 4, 2014

I have an aggressive form of Crohn's disease that is complicated by other serious autoimmune illnesses. I've lived in a lot of places and been treated by some of the top doctors in the US in various specialties. I also have a pretty strong medical knowledge because of my education and background, but I chose not to go into medicine because of my health. I've dealt with some very rare health issues and many doctors I've dealt with can be very condescending because of their initial disbelief when I've tried to explain to them my medical history (even with records to prove). I've also dealt with the same attitude when I've tried to indicate what I think MIGHT be going on between my Crohn's and other autoimmune illnesses based upon my symptoms and past experience (they can often make each other worse, act as a catalyst, etc.). What I liked about Dr. Desai is that he treated me with respect. Because he actually listened to me, he was better able to understand the complexity of my situation and ask good questions, offer advice and provide a comprehensive approach with dealing with the Crohn's and other issues. That is not easy, since a lot of GI's just want to prescribe biological drugs, but that isn't an option for me due to other medical issues. I've noted here that someone said that he seemed distracted but I had a different interpretation. What I noticed is that the guy is very smart and has both a broad and deep knowledge of medicine. To me, it seemed like I was watching someone who was analyzing many things at once and considering both the implications and the possible solutions. I've dealt extensively with people like this and my guess is that he had ADD as a kid because he is thinking about so many things at once. Anyway, I like him and I'm very difficult to please when it comes to doctors because I've dealt with so many of them. I grade doctors on their effectiveness and listening skills. Just because someone can act all sympathetic doesn't make them a good doctor - just a good actor. For me, real empathy comes from listening well, which is what Dr. Desai seems to do quite well. I did find him to be quite kind, though, so that was more of a bonus, but not a requirement in my book.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

My diagnosis is a rare esophageal disorder, and Dr.Dasai has done several Botox injections on my esophagus. I explained to Dr. Desai, since the Botox treatment, I'm having a continuation of my throat being sore. He stated I needed surgery on my esophagus, I explained to him that I was apprehensive in getting the surgery done because it was too risky. Dr. Desai charges my insurance company too much for an office visit, over $171.00, he spend more time with his patients in his private office than he does in the examining room. I begin to wonder whether he is a psychologist or a gastroenterologist, when I leave his office I feel, that my issues about my health has not been resolved

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

Never on time. Staff is somewhat helpful, but will ignore you while you at and at their window. Desai always seems rushed, complains about writing prescriptions if they are over two. Too many offices and you never know where you'll end up. Too quick to offer hospitalization. Doesn't seem to listen well. Bedside manner is lacking. Mind always seems to be somewhere else. Does not seem to be interested or vested in your case. Will be changing doctors soon.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2012

very knowledgeable, patient and listened to all my concerns unlike another Gastro I visited recently. I am happy that I chose him.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2010

I never fill out forms, but this man was so bad that I felt it my duty to warn everyone. He was so dismissive and condescending and that was bad enough. But, the man told me NOTHING about my condition. When I told my primary care what little he had said, he was outraged. He also never bothered to send a report to me in spite of the fact that I had completed all of the necessary paperwork. I just don't trust him and with all of the doctors in the area, I suggest that you choose anyone but him.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2009

If it was not for Dr. Desai I would not be alive today........if you have to sit wait 45 min's get over it....I have things to do to, BUT I'm not out there saving or helping people.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2009

I'm sure Dr. Desai is a great clinician and technician, but has NO people skills. My first visit was spent with him fiddling on his lap top (what was he doing playing Tetris, checking stocks, mailing friends?) Then took a call personal call about a non emergency matter. No apologies about the interuption with the non emergency phone call. Most of the visit went like this: phone call, tap tap tap scroll tap, question, annoyed look, personal call part deux , tap tap tap scroll scroll scroll. question. tap tap tap. Another non business call. I felt like I was at a 7 Eleven, interrupting the cashier's chit chat with his best bud. Gave me no idea about a diagnosis. Scheduled me for a scope, which is a 50/50 shot I will cancel. I hope this was just an off day for him, as he looked annoyed and so UNINTERESTED. I don't expect hugs, hand holding and kisses, but heavens, fake like you like your job for the money charged.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2008

Very patient and understanding!

flag | Submitted June 27, 2006

Dr. Tusar K. Desai's Credentials

• University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine (Grad. 1980)