Ratings for Dr. Michael Smith

Terrible temper took a fit at me for going to him to fill a prescription for pain medication when my family doctor was away horrible experience. Eventually when I was allowed to explain my medical history he wrote the prescription but it was a traumatic experience with his unprofessional behaviour

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

Dr Smith may not be the best "liked" Doctor in Athabasca but he sure is more than aware of the incompetence of a couple of the others. You have to be knowledgeable in able to spot serious problems with another Doctors patient and that's what happened to me. Thanks Doc Smith I'm finally getting the care that I so badly needed!

flag | Submitted October 3, 2016

My family doctor for 25 years, I'll admit that sometimes he's a bit owly, but he's older than a gas station sandwich. Cut him some slack. He has his rounds at the hospital to do, his office and he pops in at long term care here and there as well. Busy guy. When I needed to be referred to a specialist it didn't seem like I had to pull teeth just to do so.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2015

He has a terrible temper, and is horrible with small children. Not a single blood test nor chest x ray was ordered when we went to the ER with our 1 1/2 year old son. He barely attended to my son, and was on the computer,phone or else where. He called in a medi plane to transport our son to the Stollery. He attempted to put an iv in my son, first nearly burning my sons arm with a heating pad turned on high and tensor bandaged around. And left us for some time, I was glad to use my inutition to look and his wee arm was red and burning. I removed it and informed the nurse who was very stressed and helpful,stressed because she knew out right the Dr was doing very badly.When she informed the Dr of my sons arm, he muttered something and was huffy and stormed off. He attempted an iv, it was tramatic horrific, blood was all over and finally another Drwho was there took over fustrated with the other Dr, she didmit perectly on the other arm. Dr. Smith ignored us, the medi plane attendants and ambulance crew came ... we left with them. DR SMITH WAS GONE. he is a very bad person, my family Dr had a discussion with many people whowitnessed this and was horrified.My son was tramatized. I should of left and went to a different hospital. NEVER will I trust this man ever again. He is arrogant, pompus and rude.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

Just gives patients addictive medications for minor problems to keep them coming back. is not up to date in the medical field.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

I've read the reviews that have been given to Dr Smith and I can see where some of them come from. However, the waiting times are due to the fact that he has a busy practice. If you really need to see him, he moves you up to the head of the line, just as any other professional would. I went to him for a physical and to check out a suspicious "mole". His policy of removing moles that are bothersome to patients saved my life as mine proved to be the worst possible type of skin cancer (melanoma). He may be eccentric. Some may find him gruff. All in all though, he's everything that you need in a good small town family doctor.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr.smith administered injection in my knee missing the muscle and jabbing it into the patella bone (ouch). This injection needle had a large air bubble and this did not concern him. I have osteoarthritis and he is not Concerned about giving me any treatment (Tylenol?) He suggested that he will definitely give me knee surgery at the ripe age of 75 (if I live that long or he does). Upon consultation, he was very eager to mention to me that during his medical education - in surgery - he forgot to retrieve some of the objects that were used during the surgery procedure (gauze, instruments,...). Thank goodness he's not a surgeon. During the 8 months that I have been a patient with him, he constantly forgets the booking times that I had with him - AND HE FORGETS MY NAME!!! I would like to forget his nameand get any other physician. Anyone would be better

flag | Submitted April 16, 2013

went to have skin issue cut out, waited 40 minutes for appointment, even after they cancelled it once, no personality, very rough with freezing needles, cut a huge amount of meat out of forehead, blood sprayed all over wall and nurse, stiches were absolutely brutal, apointment to remove stiches was over an hour late. Would never return.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2012

I went in to be diagnosed pregnant, and he told me that he was sending me to get an STD test because, and I quote, "SOME women aren't the same calibre as others." Either he was insinuating that my husband was cheating on me, or that I was cheating on him. Either way I came out insulted. I know that an STD test is requested by most hospitals before you go in to deliver, but couldn't he have said THAT?

flag | Submitted January 7, 2012

He is our family Doctor and we are very impressed with Dr. Smith's bedside manner and caring attitude - he has gone out of his way to prfessinally befriend our two children who have become very fond of him since he is very approachable. He has been helpful in dealing with medical situations that arise within our family and gives better than adequate care! There can be waits at his office due to his accepting drop-ins. His diagnosis have been very accurate thus far.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2010